Review Star Trek (2009)

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I don't think there's any competition in which is best between original and new casts. I may not like the new movies much but I think they did great with the casting. But the new actors are still playing characters that were developed by the original cast. And the original cast had 78 episodes (plus 22 animated episodes) and 6 (and a bit) movies to develop their characters. No matter how good the new cast are, they can't develop the characters anywhere near that extend in 3 movies.

Gavin

VIP
The only poll that's even vaguely close between casts. Anton did manage to make his character distinct in a way that none of the others really did.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
See, this is what really pisses me off about Startrek...

First we have Leonard vs Zachary: Leonard is clearly the superior Spock but he is dead now. Zachary remains alive.

And THEN we have Chekov. I don't mean to disrespect but I didn't like Koening and then it comes Anton Yelchin and smashes the character with a clearly superior *and more charismatic interpretation, winning my heart as the definitive Chekov... but see what happens?... Anton is now dead and the original actor for Chekov, Koening, is still alive!!

See what I mean?. The good ones are leaving and we are left with the "ok" guys...!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Agreed. Shatner had real authority when he wanted to. And f he said he was going to destroy the ship rather than let it be taken to Charon, he wasn't bluffing!

Hux

To be fair, it would be easy to put him in the next film. The Kirk that died was prime Kirk so there's no reason for this Kirk not to grow old. You could have a scene at the start with him looking back on his life or something.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

William Shatner Is Ready to Return to 'Star Trek' as an Aged Captain Kirk

william_shatner_-_h_2015.jpg

Rumors about William Shatner returning to the 23rd Century in last summer's Star Trek Beyond may have turned out to be false, but the actor is more than willing to reprise his role as the captain of the USS Enterprisein a future incarnation of the franchise if the story is worthwhile, he's revealed.

Talking to The Hollywood Reporter's Scott Feinberg on the latest episode of the Awards Chatter podcast, Shatner said that even his fictional death in 1994's Star Trek: Generations couldn't keep him from coming back if a good idea presented itself.

"When we finished our movies — the six movies I made — we were putting Kirk into glasses, graying hair, a little old. I wrote a series of novels [in which] they allowed me to tell my story of Captain Kirk. So in a series of Star Trek novels, half a dozen of them, I — taking from my own life, of life and death and love and loss — I created this whole world of Star Trek for Captain Kirk," he said. (Starting with 1995's Star Trek: The Ashes of Eden, the Shatner co-authored Kirk books brought the character back to life in the era of Star Trek: The Next Generation.) "I would have loved to have done them [as movies]," he said.

Although he met with Star Trek executive producer J.J. Abrams to discuss an appearance in 2009's franchise reboot, it ended up not happening. Shatner asked, "How would they handle it, in science-fiction terms? I'm older, I'm heavier, I'm — all the problems of age. So what did Captain Kirk do? Die and age? Doesn't sound science-fiction-y enough. Or maybe you make him really old. I don't know. It seems to have beggared Abrams' imagination."

That doesn't mean he's not prepared for a return if and when someone figures it out, however.

"I would play an old Captain Kirk, absolutely," he said. "You would have [to have] an interesting character, not a cameo, like, 'Here I am, aren't I interesting?' It's the ongoing world; it's the world within science-fiction. Yes, you age within the universe. Time goes on — but time bends, as well. There's so many things you could do."

Shatner talks about his experience making the original Trek — which debuted 50 years ago this September — and more during the podcast, including attempting to settle a long-term fan argument. "Is Star Wars better than Star Trek, who the hell cares?" he joked. "They're both entertaining vehicles and they're both well done."

Doctor Omega

Karl Urban Is Happy With Star Trek Beyond Being His Last Trek Movie

c5861d46c315d30ba585870a3e50cbaf4378687492bc3fc06b8269ec22fb1e76.jpg

Karl Urban seems pretty unperturbed by the idea that there may not be a fourth Star Trek reboot movie.

Urban’s time playing Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy has had its ups and downs. His performance in 2009’s Star Trek moved Leonard Nimoy to tears, but Urbannearly didn’t return for Star Trek Beyond after his experience on Star Trek Into Darkness. While Urban has said that he’s willing to return for a fourth Star Trekmovie, he admits that the announced sequel’s future is uncertain.

“The ball is in Paramount’s court,” Urban said during a spotlight panel at the Star Trek Las Vegas convention (via Trek Movie). “There is a new head of Paramount Studios [Jim Gianopulos] – a great guy – and they are just in the process of looking at their slate at what is coming up. So fingers crossed we get to make another one.”

However, if the fourth Star Trek reboot movie doesn’t happen, Urban is satisfied with Star Trek Beyond being the end of the trilogy.

“That being said…if [Star Trek] Beyond is the note that we end it on – as sad as that is – I am actually happy with that film,” Urban said.

The fourth Star Trek movie was announced just ahead of Star Trek Beyond’s theatrical release. However, Star Trek Beyond’s lackluster box office performance despite mostly positive reviews (the film has a 77.85 ComicBook.com Composite Score) has left the Star Trek franchise’s cinematic future in question.

Star Trek Beyond currently has a 4.17 out of 5 ComicBook.com User Rating. Let us know what you thought of Star Trek Beyond by giving the film your own ComicBook.com User Rating below.

In Star Trek Beyond, a surprise attack in outer space forces the Enterprise to crash-land on a mysterious world. The assault came from Krall (Idris Elba), a lizard-like dictator who derives his energy by sucking the life out of his victims. Krall needs an ancient and valuable artifact that's aboard the badly damaged starship. Left stranded in a rugged wilderness, Kirk (Chris Pine), Spock (Zachary Quinto) and the rest of the crew must now battle a deadly alien race while trying to find a way off their hostile planet.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Karl Urban's Star Trek Performance Moved Leonard Nimoy To Tears

star-trek-karl-urban-leonard-nimoy-1014089-640x320.jpg

Karl Urban’s performance as Leonard “Bones” McCoy in the 2009 Star Trekreboot literally moved Leonard Nimoy to tears.

DeForest Kelley, the actor who played Dr. McCoy in Star Trek: The Original Series and its cinematic follow-ups, died in 1999. Thus, when Urban took over the role for the Star Trek reboot a decade later, he was unable to ask Kelley for his approval on his performance. However, Nimoy still fondly remembered his friend and co-star and Urban learned later that his performance as Bones touched Nimoy.

“After we shot [Star Trek (2009)] and as it was being released, William Shatner had a charity event and a whole bunch of us went along and Leonard and his wife Susan went too,” Urban recalled during a panel at the Star Trek Las Vegas convention (via Trek Movie). “And I was walking ahead and I hear ‘Hey Karl,’ and I turn around and it was Susan and she pulls me back and says ‘Karl, I just wanted you to know that when Leonard watched the movie the other night when you came on screen he cried.’ What it was is that the work that I had done reminded him of his dear friend and to me that was the greatest nod of appreciation that I have ever had to know that I was on the right track.”

Nimoy, who played the iconic Spock, died in 2015. In addition to starring in Star Trek: The Original Series and six Star Trek movies featuring the original series cast, he also reprised his role again for the Star Trek reboot and the sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness. His death was referenced in 2016’s Star Trek Beyond when the younger Spock of the reboot Kelvin timeline (Zachary Quinto) received word of the prime Spock’s death.

In 2009's Star Trek, aboard the USS Enterprise, the most-sophisticated starshipever built, a novice crew embarks on its maiden voyage. Their path takes them on a collision course with Nero (Eric Bana), a Romulan commander whose mission of vengeance threatens all mankind. If humanity would survive, a rebellious young officer named James T. Kirk (Chris Pine) and a coolly logical Vulcan named Spock (Zachary Quinto) must move beyond their rivalry and find a way to defeat Nero before it is too late.

Star Trek was directed by J. J. Abrams and written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. The film stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Eric Bana, John Cho, Ben Cross, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Winona Ryder, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, and Anton Yelchin.

Paramount announced plans for a fourth Star Trek reboot movie but has been silent on the matter following Star Trek Beyond's disappointing box office performance.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Nimoy will always be Spock, but I think Quinto has done admirably in the role, capturing the character's spirit, if not all of the intricacies that Nimoy's personality added to it.

Urban is Bones. While Kelley is still my preferred McCoy, Urban is so fantastic in the role that I can't hate him in it. I wish they had done more with him before the third movie, but who am I, some Star Trek fan or something?

I like Saldana, and I think she's good in the movies, she isn't Uhura. Nichelle had a classy presence in the character, and when she did get feisty, she did it with panache. Zoe throws a little too much homegirl in her performance at times. She's not bad, just...not Uhura, the way she should be played.

Yelchin was the superior actor, and so I give his Chekov the nudge here. I never hated Koenig, and to be fair, he was never meant to be much more than something to attract female (and some male?) viewers. Plus, he gets some great lines in the movies. But yeah, I would have to give it to Anton.

Cho is really good a Sulu. For me, they both have equal qualities, so neither gets my "better than" vote.

And I do think that Doohan was the better Scotty, but dammit, I'm such a fan of Pegg's that I love him in the role. He's charismatic, and you can tell he's a fan because he's having fun on screen. So it's difficult, but Doohan wins out.