How Authentic a Trek Show is This?

• This feels like the real deal!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Have these guys even watched the original series?

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I'm still on the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
More Star Trek TV shows are "totally possible" – including Bryan Fuller's planned anthology series

Discovery could spark a relaunch for the franchise on television.

landscape-1502725154-star-trek-discovery.jpg

Star Trek: Discovery could be about to relaunch the franchise on television in more ways than one.

Executive producer Alex Kurtzman has hinted that "more Star Trek series" could follow the latest incarnation, returning us to an age when Starfleet dominated the airwaves.

One such idea that might be revisited is Bryan Fuller's original plan for Discovery – an anthology series that would explore different periods in Trek history.

"I think that's totally possible," Kurtzman said. "It was a really cool idea, but it wasn't necessarily an idea that everyone immediately agreed with."

Fuller, who originally signed up as Discovery's showrunner, exited the project in October last year, having disagreed with CBS over hirings and his original story pitch.

"It's a cool idea, but at the same time, I've now fallen in love with the characters on this ship [Discovery]," Kurtzman said of the decision to reject the anthology format. "I like seeing them. I like being with them. And I wouldn't necessarily want to throw them away at the end of the season for a new show.

"I would not want to limit our storytelling, especially given the topics that we're bringing up this season. It's not just one season's worth of television.

"I think the idea might be that there are more Star Trek series [further down the line]."

Star Trek: Discovery will premiere on CBS and CBS All Access on Sunday, September 24 at 8.30/7.30c and will be available the following day on Netflix in the UK.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Are you a Browncoat?????
Absolutely without question I am a Browncoat!!

I own every eposide and the movie, watched all the extras and commentaries and rewatch regularly. The series was a textbook example of how to completely screw over a TV series. Given the following it later acquired, if Fox had deigned to show the series in order, not kept changing the viewing time, and given it a chance to build an audience, it's hard to see how it wouldn't have lasted 5-7 seasons easily. If Netflix had been doing it's thing with original programming 7 or 8 years ago it might have been able to be continued. But I suspect too much time has passed now.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I still regret that they never got to do a full series about this character in the Trek universe while the actor was alive. Maybe they could do the chic thing and do a prequel.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Absolutely without question I am a Browncoat!!
All hail to the Browncoats!!!!! To my knowledge that make you, ChainSaw and me for sure (there may be others I don't know about).... because like the show, Browncoats are a small but fierce force of nature!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: And of course, DBs for all Browncoats! :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
a full series about this character in the Trek universe
Don't get me wrong CS, I thought Boothbee was a great character and the fact that they used him in Voyager as a liaison of sorts between species 746 and the crew was interesting as well. I'm just not sure he's got enough to offer as a central character of his own show in the ST universe.... but if you can, than more power to ya man!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
He was. In truth, my post was sarcastic, especially when there are movies and series that get made about secondary characters that no one really care enough about for a series. I would really like a book or limited comic series about him, but a full series, yeah, not so much. :emoji_grin:
Ray Walston is one of my all-time favourite actors - up there with Geoffrey Bayldon. I first discovered him through MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN and afterwards would willingly watch anything that featured him - be it a film or a TV series. In fact, the only reason I watched every episode of PICKET FENCES I could find was to hear him give his little speech each week as Judge Henry Bone. And as for the episode where he showed up at a fancy dress party, sporting a pair of TV antennas protruding from the back of his head...

In any case, when he first appeared on STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION, I was absolutely delighted. When he returned on STAR TREK: VOYAGER, I was ecstatic. As much as I love Spock, Data, Picard, Worf, Sisko or Tuvok, I love Boothby more. However, I do not want to see him in another film or TV series, because the only actor who could do the character justice died on the first day of the twenty-first century.

And it just wouldn't be the same without him.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
However, I do not want to see him in another film or TV series, because the only actor who could do the character justice died on the first day of the twenty-first century.

And it just wouldn't be the same without him.
Exactly. Like I said, I'd love a novel or a comic series about him (six issues would be sufficient), just because he was a compelling character portrayed by one of the finest actors to have ever graced the small screen. I really would have loved to have seen much more between he and Picard, because Jean-Luc seemed to have such a reverence for him.

I'm certain you have, but have you seen Johnny Dangerously? If not, it's a hilarious send-up of gangster films from 1983. One of Michael Keaton's first films, if I recall. Walston has a very small role, but the few scenes he's in? Gold!

Doctor Omega

For all of the whizzes, bangs, flashes and worthy, profound - and oh so serious - dialogue of this new incarnation, I doubt that we will have a single second that is as simply effective as this 42 second clip. A clip that - despite having a low budget and obvious make up - says more about a real world issue than, I am sure, any of the upcoming episodes of this - I think - wrongheaded series will......

I also love Kirk and Spock's bemused reactions to the nonsensical viewpoint that they are being presented with. :emoji_grin:

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
For all of the whizzes, bangs, flashes and worthy, profound - and oh so serious - dialogue of this new incarnation, I doubt that we will have a single second that is as simply effective as this 42 second clip. A clip that - despite having a low budget and obvious make up - says more about a real world issue than, I am sure, any of the upcoming episodes of this - I think - wrongheaded series will......
I think that's one of the benefits of not being able to do much with special effects. You're left with no choice except to focus on making the story as compelling as possible. When special effects are easy it becomes too easy for producers to rely on them to cover any flaws in a story.

Doctor Omega

There are 15 episodes in the season, but US broadcaster CBS has confirmed that the season will be split into two parts.

The first eight will air weekly from Monday 25th September until Monday 6th November.

The remaining seven will air in January 2018.

Doctor Omega

“Star Trek Discovery” Not Sending Out Screeners

star-trek-discovery-not-sending-out-screeners-696x464.jpg

A week out from the premiere of CBS All Access’ “Star Trek: Discovery” and it has been revealed that reviews for the premiere have been embargoed until after it airs.

EW reports that the company is not sending out screeners to critics for the new show. The embargo meanwhile is for those attending upcoming New York and Los Angeles premiere events.

This is not unfamiliar, this past Summer saw a similar approach taken with the new seasons of “Game of Thrones” and “Twin Peaks”. Both of those though were riding on a wave of good buzz and had generated a wide level of excitement before airing.

‘Discovery’ meanwhile has had more of a mixed reaction, in part due to the show’s trouble production history, and has to sell audiences on signing up for another streaming service if they already haven’t.

This is part of CBS’ strategy though, and they’re good at keeping things pretty secret – once production properly began there’s been nothing really in the way of leaks. Even the show’s cast reportedly hasn’t seen an episode yet.

The first two episodes air on CBS All Access on September 24th and will then hit Netflix in global markets the next day.

Doctor Omega

Jonathan Frakes Just Revealed A Big 'Star Trek: Discovery' Spoiler

a44b0a9e3500635f2240022a8c503d31fa99d23c.png

SPOILER WARNING: Spoilers for Star Trek: Discovery follow.

According to Frakes, Star Trek: Discovery will pay a visit to Star Trek’s mirror universe.

Frakes revealed this during Star Trek: The Next Generation cast reunion panel at The Continuing Voyage convention tour stop in Chicago. The Star Trek-themed band 5 Year Mission, who was performing on stage at the event, shared the information on Twitter.