How Authentic a Trek Show is This?

• This feels like the real deal!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Have these guys even watched the original series?

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I'm still on the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Something is found lurking at the edge of Federation space, and Starfleet will never be the same. Explore an all-new era of Star Trek weekly on Netflix starting 25 Sept.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Fans are already trying to make sense of it all.....

I just found this comment on the Discovery trailer.....

My theory is that the augment virus is in full effect and before it made the Klingons ridgeless, it made them like this. Or these Klingons have a different strain of the virus.
Should fans have to do these mental gymnastics though to make sense of a blatantly disrespected continuity? :emoji_confused:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
My theory is that the augment virus is in full effect and before it made the Klingons ridgeless, it made them like this. Or these Klingons have a different strain of the virus.

Should fans have to do these mental gymnastics though to make sense of a blatantly disrespected continuity? :emoji_confused:
I can see it to an extent. Like in Nemesis, where the Romulan offshoots were more Nosferatu-like creatures because of where they lived and evolved. However, you're correct. We shouldn't have to strain and reach to find explanations for stupid decisions by producers.

Also, we saw in Enterprise how the Augment virus affected Klingons. It immediately dissolved their ridges, and made them more human-like in appearance. Perhaps if the poster had done their homework, they would already know this.

Doctor Omega

Discovery in Print

STDBookDespHrs080317.gif

The inevitable books, Fictional - and behind the scenes factual - are on their way.....

Will you be buying and reading them?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

ST_DSC_DH.jpg

Desperate Hours
The first official novel based on the new CBS All Access series Star Trek: Discovery®!

Aboard the Starship Shenzhou, Lieutenant Michael Burnham, a human woman raised and educated among Vulcans, is promoted to acting first officer. But if she wants to keep the job, she must prove to Captain Philippa Georgiou that she deserves to have it.

She gets her chance when the Shenzhou must protect a Federation colony that is under attack by an ancient alien vessel that has surfaced from the deepest fathoms of the planet’s dark, uncharted sea.

As the menace from this mysterious vessel grows stronger, Starfleet declares the colony expendable in the name of halting the threat. To save thousands of innocent lives, Burnham must infiltrate the alien ship. But to do so she needs to face the truth of her troubled past, and seek the aid of a man she has tried to avoid her entire life—until now.

Doctor Omega

The first ever issue cover revealed......

DSCComic.jpg

Here is the official word from IDW (before they revealed the above cover)

Warp into adventure with this new comic book series that ties into the new Star Trek television show premiering in late September on CBS All Access in the U.S., the Space channel in Canada and Netflix throughout the rest of the world! Details remain secretive so we can’t show you covers yet, but we can tell you that you won’t want to miss this very special KLINGON-centric series. Be prepared for action, adventure, and Star Trek at its best!

Each issue of the Star Trek: Discovery comic will feature a “ships of the line” cover by Declan Shalvey and Jordie Bellaire which will offer a “first look at the new ships of Discovery.” Issue #1 will also feature a photo cover and a variant cover by fan-favorite artist J.K. Woodward (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Mirror Broken).

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Star Trek Vets Share Their Thoughts And Advice For ‘Star Trek: Discovery’

a37c9dc63ee35c46b9415ad352fefe5ce37f9586.jpg

Star Trek Las Vegas kicked off with a series of panels for Star Trek: Discovery, but for the rest of the con, the new show continued to come up in conversation, brought up by either other Star Trek celebrities and writers, or fans. We have compiled some of the highlights of the Discovery discussions beyond the specific Discovery-themed panels.

Karl Urban sees J.J. Abrams’ influence in Discovery
On Sunday, the subject of Discovery was brought up to Karl Urban (Dr. McCoy in the Kelvin Timeline movies) and the actor showed his inner fanboy, reacting with enthusiasm and noting he saw something familiar about the show:

How excited are you guys about [Discovery]! How cool is that. I cannot wait for that show. The trailer looks phenomenal. It sort of visually taken the energy that J.J. [Abrams] infused the new Star Trek films with and squished them into television, which I love.

TNG crew hopes for the best, offers advice to new Discovery cast
During the Friday night 30th anniversary panel for Star Trek: The Next Generation, a fan asked the assembled cast if any of them would want to do a guest spot. Here is the exchange that followed:

Brent Spiner: A guest shot? I don’t know about that. I am very optimistic about this show. I am very hopeful that it is going to be fantastic. I hope it continues this wonderful epic journey that star trek has been on and I feel it probably will. I don’t know that I need to be a part of it necessarily but I encourage them and hope for the best.

Gates McFadden: Amen

Patrick Stewart: Is the new series set in the future, if we take The Next Generation as the present?

Brent: Past

Patrick: So, it’s a prequel.

Gates: You would have to have hair.

During the same panel another question came from the audience asking if the TNG cast had any advice for the new Discovery cast, and the responses were very practical:

Marina Sirtis: Save your money.

Michael Dorn: Save your money. Don’t buy anything big for three years.

Marina: Stay out of Gucci.

Dorn: I work with quite a few actors who have been in the business a long time and the one thing that they always say is that they didn’t appreciate what they had at the time until much much later. I would say definitely anybody who is starting out to really appreciate where you are and what happening. You are extremely fortunate.

Gates: Enjoy it while you can.

Brent: That’s right.

McFadden likes Discovery‘s character focus
During a separate TNG panel with just Gates McFadden and Denise Crosby, the subject came up again, and McFadden had more to say about the show:

I am really excited. I think it is a great cast. I love the way they cast it. I have no idea what it is. I know there is going to be a spaceship and a starfield. But I am very excited. I think it is cool they are going to focus on one person’s point of view much more. I think that makes sense for the kind of TV we are seeing right now. It is letting you get another insight into this whole journey in space and I think it is quite different

Burton jealous of Frakes directing Discovery
As we have reported, Jonathan Frakes (who had to cancel Star Trek Las Vegas due to a work conflict and problem with his flight) directed an episode of Discovery. During a Q&A on Saturday with LeVar Burton and Brent Spiner, Burton was asked why he hasn’t been asked to direct as well. Burton hung his head in mock shame and Spiner consoled him….

Brent Spiner: It’ll happen. Sixth season. You’ll be there. Yep.

LeVar Burton: I’m so glad you asked that question (fake tears). I actually have deep love and respect for my friend Jonathan Frakes. And at the same time I hate him.

Spiner: There is such a fine line between hate and love isn’t there?

Burton: That line is called Discovery.

Robert Duncan McNeill had to turn down Discovery directing gig
On a panel with some of the men of the Star Trek: Voyager cast, Robert Duncan McNeill revealed he almost followed TNG star Jonathan Frakes in directing an episode of Discovery. The former Tom Paris told the crowd:

I don’t know anything about Discovery to be honest. A couple of friends of mine have directed, like Frakes. I hope it is successful. They did ask me for some dates [to direct] but I just wasn’t available. I would love to do it. I hope it is a huge success. It is good for the fans, it is good for the franchise. It is good for the future of Star Trek.

McNeill did note that he had directed an episode of The Orville and he even spoke about how the show is being careful not to be too Star Trek-y (at least from a legal point of view):

I directed one [episode of The Orville]…Everybody’s very cautious of the legalities of a spaceship that looks a lot like other spaceships…

Garrett Wang prefers Orville
During that same Voyager panel, Garrett Wang (Ensign Kim) brought up Discovery, only to note that given a chance he would prefer to do a guest spot on a different show:

I did a role on American Dad for Seth MacFarlane. And the question on if I would be interested in doing Discovery, I would honestly be more interested in guest starring on The Orville than Discovery.

Braga and Bormanis happy to watch spoiler-free Star Trek
During a panel on writing for Star Trek, veteran writer/producers Brannon Braga and Andre Bormanis (who are both currently working on The Orville) were asked about the possibility of writing for Discoveryin the future:

Andre Bormanis: The thing that I am most looking forward to about Discovery is that for the first time in literally 25 years, I will be able to watch an episode of Star Trek on television that I have not read the script for already. I am so looking looking forward to seeing it and not knowing what they are going to do. I scrupulously avoid spoilers. I don’t want to know, I want to be surprised. I want to enjoy it and see it with fresh eyes.

Brannon Braga: I couldn’t have answered it better. Perfect.

Doctor Omega

Bryan Fuller Named the ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Lead and Redesigned the Klingons

star-trek-discovery-trailer-5-700x349.jpg

Bryan Fuller met the Television Critics Association last summer to talk about his plans for Star Trek: Discovery, but then left the show to focus on his Starz series American Gods. Today, CBS All Access presented a full panel with Discovery’s cast and producers, which revealed two significant elements that remain from Fuller.

The first is naming the character played by Sonequa Martin-Green, Michael Burnham. “It’s a motif,” producer Aaron Harberts said. “It’s his signature move to name his lead women with names that would typically be associated as male. So Jaye [on Wonderfalls, Chuck on Pushing Daisies]. We were going through male names, and we all sort of hit on Michael because I have only known of, I think, two Michaels, Michael Sneed that was a gossip columnist for the Chicago SunTimes and Michael Steele who played the bass for The Bangles. That’s a deep dive on female Michaels. And, of course, an archangel is named Michael as well, and it just had a lot of potency for us.”

Marin-Green commented, “I appreciated the sort of statement it makes all on its own to have this woman with this male name, just speaking of the amelioration of how we see men and women in the future. But I also just decided for my creation and for my background and whatnot that I was named after my father. So we get a little bit of exploration of the father-daughter dynamic.”

Michael Burnham was revealed to be the half-sister of Spock at Comic-Con. Harberts clarified. “We don’t necessarily call her the half-sister,” Harberts said. “We tend to refer to her as more Sarek’s ward or Sarek’s almost foster/adopted daughter. And the relationship between Michael and Sarek plays a huge part, not only in her backstory, but in where she was raised and what she brings to every ship she serves on. Her time on Vulcan causes her to make several choices in our first episode, choices that will really have aftershocks throughout the entire series. Much in the way that they did with Spock and Sarek in the films and on the show, we are able to tell father-daughter stories, and we are able to really drill down on particularly what’s interesting about a Vulcan raising a human child, and how that affects her and how she’s grown up with that.”

The other Bryan Fuller contribution that remains is his redesign of the Klingons. “One of the things he really, really wanted to do was shake up the design of the Klingons,” Herberts said. “One of the first things that he ever pitched to us when we were deciding whether or not to come on the show was his aesthetic for the Klingons and how important it was that they be aesthete, that they not be the thugs of the universe, that they be sexy and vital and different from what had come before.”

The Klingons are different from each other as well, said producer Heather Kadin. “Some have white skin, some have dark skin,” Kadin said.

Creature designers Neville Page and Glenn Hetrick designed Star Trek: Discovery’s Klingons to Fuller’s specifications.

“They drilled down in such a deep way to redundant pieces of anatomy, to the different plates on the head,” Herberts said. “We were in discussions that got so deep into biology and into sculpture. From the time that Neville brought in the 3D printout into the writers’ room of the Klingon, that design really hasn’t changed. The Klingon ship, the flagship of the Klingons, which you’ll see in some of the stills, that design, again, very important to Bryan, very hands-on, worked with Mark Worthington for months and months to get it right. We think that it’s unique, and we saw no reason to change his vision for those Klingons.”

Akiva Goldsman joined Star Trek: Discovery after Bryan Fuller left, so he could not speak specifically to Fuller’s vision. But Fuller told Entertainment Weekly that he envisioned an anthology series that could visit other Star Trek eras. Goldsman said they took elements from both approaches as development continued.

“From what I’m hearing and what we’re doing, it’s kind of a hybridized approach,” Goldsman said. “I don’t think we’re looking for an endless, continuing nine or 10 year story. We’re looking at arcs which will have characters that we know and characters that we don’t know. That’s even true over the course of this season.”

Star Trek: Discovery premieres on CBS All Access on September 24 with an 8:30 P.M. premiere on CBS. Episode 2 will be available on All Access immediately, with new episodes arriving every Sunday.

Doctor Omega

Bryan Fuller Redesigned the Klingons

star-trek-discovery-trailer-5-700x349.jpg

A Bryan Fuller contribution that remains is his redesign of the Klingons. “One of the things he really, really wanted to do was shake up the design of the Klingons,” Herberts said. “One of the first things that he ever pitched to us when we were deciding whether or not to come on the show was his aesthetic for the Klingons and how important it was that they be aesthete, that they not be the thugs of the universe, that they be sexy and vital and different from what had come before.”

The Klingons are different from each other as well, said producer Heather Kadin. “Some have white skin, some have dark skin,” Kadin said.

Creature designers Neville Page and Glenn Hetrick designed Star Trek: Discovery’s Klingons to Fuller’s specifications.

“They drilled down in such a deep way to redundant pieces of anatomy, to the different plates on the head,” Herberts said. “We were in discussions that got so deep into biology and into sculpture. From the time that Neville brought in the 3D printout into the writers’ room of the Klingon, that design really hasn’t changed. The Klingon ship, the flagship of the Klingons, which you’ll see in some of the stills, that design, again, very important to Bryan, very hands-on, worked with Mark Worthington for months and months to get it right. We think that it’s unique, and we saw no reason to change his vision for those Klingons.”

Doctor Omega

Tribbles Confirmed For Star Trek Discovery

file_104496_1_into-tribbles.jpg

Star Trek: Discovery executive producer Alex Kurtzman has confirmed that the new show will include Tribbles, the fluffy little fast-multiplying creatures first seen wreaking adorable havoc on a space station in one of the most memorable episodes of the original Star Trek series. Star Trek: Discovery marks the return of the franchise to the small screen, and to lure in hardcore Trek fans the show is beaming in plenty of nostalgic elements from prior shows, while also introducing certain updates including a new look for the Klingons.

The crew of the Enterprise first encountered Tribbles in the aptly-titled The Trouble With Tribbles, the 44th overall episode of the original Star Trek series. In the story set at a remote space station, a single Tribble is given to Uhura and soon begins multiplying until there are Tribbles everywhere. Amusingly, though humans love Tribbles and their soothing cat-like purr, Klingons hate them and the Tribbles somehow sense the animosity and hate them back. Ultimately, the troublesome Tribbles prove to be useful as they help uncover a Klingon plot to poison the grain stores on the space station.

Speaking withCinemaBlend at last week’s SDCC, executive producer Alex Kurtzman confirmed Tribbles will make their return to the Star Trek universe at some point during the new series. Kurtzman said simply “Yes, Tribbles, yes” in response to a press conference question about whether the lovable (unless you’re a Klingon) alien fuzz-balls will be squeaking and purring their way onto the upcoming show.

Tribbles have made several other notable appearances in Trek properties since their debut on the original series. A sequel to The Trouble With Tribbles episode called More Tribbles, More Trouble was actually planned for Season 3 of Star Trek: TOS but was scrapped, with the story later being used for an episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series. Tribbles popped up briefly in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, then showed up again in both of J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek films (Abrams just loves his Tribbles). They also showed up in an episode of Star Trek: Enterprise.

On an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine it was revealed that Klingons finally got sick of Tribbles and went on a mission to eradicate the species, sending agents all over the galaxy to kill every Tribble they found. Happily, the species was re-introduced after a time-travel mission back to the era of the original Trek to prevent Captain Kirk from being assassinated on the space station from The Trouble With Tribbles episode. Of course this led to Tribbles overrunning Deep Space Nine.

The original design of the Tribbles is fairly simple – they’re literally just little balls of fluff of varying colors that mostly just sit there – and it will be interesting to see if Star Trek: Discovery adds any features or just goes with the classic incarnation of the creatures. Given the connection between Tribbles and Klingons, it’s a fair assumption that at some point Tribbles will become a plot device in an episode involving the Federation’s old enemies.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Tribbles Confirmed For Star Trek Discovery

View attachment 2886

Star Trek: Discovery executive producer Alex Kurtzman has confirmed that the new show will include Tribbles, the fluffy little fast-multiplying creatures first seen wreaking adorable havoc on a space station in one of the most memorable episodes of the original Star Trek series. Star Trek: Discovery marks the return of the franchise to the small screen, and to lure in hardcore Trek fans the show is beaming in plenty of nostalgic elements from prior shows, while also introducing certain updates including a new look for the Klingons.

The crew of the Enterprise first encountered Tribbles in the aptly-titled The Trouble With Tribbles, the 44th overall episode of the original Star Trek series. In the story set at a remote space station, a single Tribble is given to Uhura and soon begins multiplying until there are Tribbles everywhere. Amusingly, though humans love Tribbles and their soothing cat-like purr, Klingons hate them and the Tribbles somehow sense the animosity and hate them back. Ultimately, the troublesome Tribbles prove to be useful as they help uncover a Klingon plot to poison the grain stores on the space station.

Speaking withCinemaBlend at last week’s SDCC, executive producer Alex Kurtzman confirmed Tribbles will make their return to the Star Trek universe at some point during the new series. Kurtzman said simply “Yes, Tribbles, yes” in response to a press conference question about whether the lovable (unless you’re a Klingon) alien fuzz-balls will be squeaking and purring their way onto the upcoming show.

Tribbles have made several other notable appearances in Trek properties since their debut on the original series. A sequel to The Trouble With Tribbles episode called More Tribbles, More Trouble was actually planned for Season 3 of Star Trek: TOS but was scrapped, with the story later being used for an episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series. Tribbles popped up briefly in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, then showed up again in both of J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek films (Abrams just loves his Tribbles). They also showed up in an episode of Star Trek: Enterprise.

On an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine it was revealed that Klingons finally got sick of Tribbles and went on a mission to eradicate the species, sending agents all over the galaxy to kill every Tribble they found. Happily, the species was re-introduced after a time-travel mission back to the era of the original Trek to prevent Captain Kirk from being assassinated on the space station from The Trouble With Tribbles episode. Of course this led to Tribbles overrunning Deep Space Nine.

The original design of the Tribbles is fairly simple – they’re literally just little balls of fluff of varying colors that mostly just sit there – and it will be interesting to see if Star Trek: Discovery adds any features or just goes with the classic incarnation of the creatures. Given the connection between Tribbles and Klingons, it’s a fair assumption that at some point Tribbles will become a plot device in an episode involving the Federation’s old enemies.
Ugh...