chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I really hated Pulaski at the time. Now, I find her to be much better than I remember her being. Still don't care for her as much as Beverly.

TNG has so many highs and lows throughout its run, but when it's on, it's brilliant.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
One of the crew has to buy the farm...

Which one would you happily see turned inside out by a transporter accident?

And why them, for pity's sake?!? :emoji_astonished:

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Wesley. I hate saying that, because Wil Wheaton seems like the coolest guy, but I hated the character, at least before he went off to Starfleet Academy. After that, he got more likable in his appearances.

Doctor Omega

Deanna Troi. It has been said that the only thing that will date The Next Gen is Troi's character as a counsellor is so 80's.

And her sensing "great pain", or "he's hiding something" got old very quickly. Like, in the pilot.

Marina was beautiful and a great actress. I would just rather she had played Dayna in Blake's 7 though, a role she auditioned for some years before Trek.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Deanna Troi. It has been said that the only thing that will date The Next Gen is Troi's character as a counsellor is so 80's.

And her sensing "great pain", or "he's hiding something" got old very quickly. Like, in the pilot.

Marina was beautiful and a great actress. I would just rather she had played Dayna in Blake's 7 though, a role she auditioned for some years before Trek.
She definitely got better but I hated the inconsistency of her powers. One episode she'd sense an entire planet's pain (from the Enterprise) the next, she wouldn't even be able to sense what the person standing next to her was feeling. Characters with these kinds of abilities can often go awry (Kes in Voyager for example). Their abilities are so ill defined and as such, often get used as an ex machina.

Doctor Omega

Another thing is, would you want to spend years cooped up on a ship with someone who could sense everything you were feeling while you were sat next to them?

I am surprised that they didn't do an episode where Deanna was found murdered!

And it couldn't have been much fun for Deanna either, bombarded by all these emotions, non stop, all day.

Oh, I forgot. Rodenberry said that everybody was perfect in the 24th century and got on with everybody else all the time. :emoji_alien:

Doctor Omega

Right up to the last movie, with Shinzon getting his kicks. At least she got her revenge on that occasion! I thought that that was a powerful scene in a divisive movie.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
I loved Pulaski; so much more interesting than Beverley (who I liked) and I loved the fact that she represented the audience when it came to how she viewed Data. I know people hated her for that but it was actually the correct response. There's only one android in existence so everyone just treating him like, yup not a big deal made no sense. Her treatment was far more convincing.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
From Captain Jean-Luc Picard, to Professor Charles Xavier, to a pile of shit...

Well, I can see that his career is clearly on the up and up.

Doctor Omega

Anybody seen this William Shatner narrated documentary about the chaotic first year or two on The Next Generation?

What did you think of it?

chainsaw_metal1

A very good documentary, if entirely too short. Our discussion about Roddenberry, and whether he should be considered a genius or not, reminded me of this film. Gene wanted complete control over it, because he thought the studio had lost his vision when they made the movies. I think he had a point, it was his creation, but at the same time, I don't think the movies would have been as successful or be looked upon as highly by fans as they are had he been in control of them.

I really liked the writers talking about how there were stories they really wanted to do, and only got the chance after Gene's death. I also find humor in the fact that Stewart didn't unpack his bags for months, because he had no faith that the show would last.

Doctor Omega

There was a very good book about Gene Rodenberry written by Joel Engel that also goes into the chaotic birth of this show and the eventual showdowns in the production office with Dorothy Fontana and the eventual court case with David Gerrold over who wrote the TNG series' bible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gene-Rodde...id=1488899514&sr=8-1&keywords=joel+engel+gene

Rodenberry asked everyone for ideas for the show's bible, then slapped his name on it as having thought of all the ideas and as having written the entire show's bible himself.

None of the parties are allowed to reveal the financial outcome of the court case, but let's just say that David Gerrold seemed to have come out of it quite happily!

BJS

Member: Rank 1
She was a good little actress. Sure, not Olivier standard, but perfectly OK for her roles in TNG and DS9.

She's now a director and producer of indie stuff.

Noley Thornton can be seen in the music video for Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire". In the "1980s" segment, just after the woman in the red dress, Noley is seen twirling in a white ballerina outfit.