Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

s-l500.jpg

The first Star Trek novel that I ever read. That pesky transporter had somehow duplicated Spock.

You can guess the rest from the title.

A pleasant enough read from James Blish, who had done all of the original tv show adaptions.

This book didn't outstay it's welcome either, not being overly long or pretentiously written. And absolutely no Mary Sue characters in it at all.

It just felt like a double length episode of the original show.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

kirk book.jpg

What are your favourite factual books on the various manifestations of the show?

From autobiographies, to episode guides via coffee table production art, which books are worth the paper they are printed on - and which are best forgotten?

Doctor Omega

James Doohan's autobiography.....

He didn't like Bill much, apparently and spent much of the book bemoaning how - if it were not for Star Trek - we would have seen so much more of what he, Doohan, the great actor, could have brought to the world.

512ZX0JN8KL._UY250_.jpg

Doctor Omega

William Shatner urges 'Star Trek: The Cruise' to ditch its dolphin experience

1501865288186.jpg

It’s been over 30 years since Captain Kirk revealed an affinity for humpback whales in “Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home,” but William Shatner still has a soft spot for sea creatures.

Together with the help of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), the former “Star Trek” actor urged the Norwegian Cruise Line to refrain from offering a “swim with dolphins” experience on an upcoming “Star Trek”-themed cruise with Entertainment Cruise Productions, a Norwegian travel partner.

“I’m so happy that ‘Star Trek’ fans have the opportunity to climb aboard Norwegian Jade’s ‘Star Trek: The Cruise’ and experience their own interstellar voyage of sorts,” Shatner wrote in a letter to Norwegian CEO Frank J. Del Rio, which was posted in full to PETA’s website. “However, so long as your company offers ‘swim with dolphins’ experiences, what should be a futuristic voyage will be set back light years.”

The cruise Shatner refers to — "Star Trek: The Cruise II" — leaves from Miami and makes stops in Honduras, Belize and Mexico over the course of six days. Aboard the ship, passengers can partake in nightly shows hosted by “Star Trek” actors, as well as meet-and-greets, a “Klingon Pub Krawl,” makeup tutorials, “Star Trek”-themed scavenger hunts and more.

However, it’s the “swim with dolphins” attraction (which the cruise’s official site doesn’t appear to mention) that bothers Shatner, who hosted the first “Star Trek: The Cruise” in 2017. (This year’s voyage will be hosted by George Takei.)

“Aboard the USS Enterprise, it was Captain Kirk's duty 'to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations' in order to advance and diversify our own," Shatner’s letter continued. “The exploitation of any species for profit and entertainment would have violated the Prime Directive.”

The 86-year-old actor goes on to urge Del Rio to go where “compassionate companies — such as TripAdvisor, MasterCard and more — have gone before” by discontinuing the attraction.

“Surely, Star Trek fans would appreciate the decision to allow dolphins to remain in the wild — and prosper.”

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Mostly I agree with him, but the fact that this is coming from PETA makes me want to go and swim with dolphins just to spite them.

Doctor Omega

Lawrence Montaigne, 'Star Trek' Actor Who Nearly Replaced Leonard Nimoy, Dies at 86

Insert-Amok-Time.jpg

He also portrayed a P.O.W. in 'The Great Escape' and a robot henchman for the Joker on 'Batman.'
Lawrence Montaigne, who played a Romulan and then a Vulcan on episodes of the original Star Trek and at one point was lined up to replace Leonard Nimoy on the series, has died. He was 86.

Montaigne, who also appeared in the Steve McQueen war classic The Great Escape (1963) and on TV's Batman as a robot controlled by the Joker, died Friday in a hospital in Henderson, Nev., his daughter, Jessica, confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

Montaigne portrayed Decius on "Balance of Terror," the first-season, December 1966 episode that introduced the Romulan race — he has a memorable line, "Permit me the glory of the kill" — then played the Vulcan character Stonn on the second-season opener, "Amok Time," in September 1967.

In a 2012 interview with the website StarTrek.com, the actor said that between the first and second seasons of the NBC show, Nimoy was in talks to join the CBS crime drama Mission: Impossible and producers wanted Montaigne to replace him (perhaps as Spock or as another character) if indeed he departed.

"They did the contracts and the whole thing, but there was a stipulation in the contract that said if Leonard comes back, then the whole thing is over," he recalled. "I was going on the assumption that I was going to play Spock when my agent called and said, 'Leonard is coming back to do the show. He's in and you're out.'

"A week or two later, they called me to do this role of Stonn, who was a Vulcan. It all boiled down to the fact that Leonard and I looked alike to a great extent. I guess that's what they were looking for with Stonn."

(Nimoy eventually did land on Mission: Impossible in 1969, playing Paris, an ex-magician and master of disguise, after Star Trek was canceled.)

In the StarTrek.com interview, Montaigne said that after Nimoy returned, "I moved on. This was the 1960s, and I was doing a whole bunch of shows and films and having the time of my life. So, when Spock didn't happen, it really didn't change my life in any way."

In The Great Escape, directed by John Sturges, Montaigne played the Canadian P.O.W. Haynes, one of the prisoners who doesn't get out alive.

Born in Brooklyn and raised in Rome, Montaigne early in his career appeared on Broadway, worked as a stuntman fencer in Scaramouche (1952) and danced in The Band Wagon (1953), starring Fred Astaire.

On ABC's Batman, he played Mr. Glee, a lifelike robot who becomes a bank teller at the behest of the felonious funnyman the Joker (Cesar Romero). Montaigne appeared often on television, with roles on such shows as The Outer Limits, Burke's Law, Hogan's Heroes, Dr. Kildare, The Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The F.B.I. and McCloud.

His body of film work also includes Tobruk (1967), The Power (1968), The Psycho Lover (1970) and Escape to Witch Mountain (1975).

Montaigne wrote novels as well as an autobiography, 2006's A Vulcan Odyssey.

Survivors also include his granddaughter, Lilianna.

Doctor Omega

That's a good point! :emoji_alien:

Sad news though.

The stars and guest stars of T.O.S. continue to go to the undiscovered country. :emoji_cry:

Doctor Omega

Well, plenty have gone there before.

The fact that none seem to have returned (except Spock) is the depressing part! :emoji_alien:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Well, plenty have gone there before.

The fact that none seem to have returned (except Spock) is the depressing part! :emoji_alien:
Ah, but we have no evidence to suggest that they all end up in the same place.

And not just Spock has returned.

McCoy, Scott, Kirk...

It's only the junior redshirts that don't see to return. :emoji_wink:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Yes, Chekov too in the western one.

Are the crew, technically all zombies? :emoji_confused:
And Chekov in the alternative timeline... For real.

As for zombies... I think you mean STAR TREK: DISCOVERY...

That's the only STAR TREK TV series to date that appears to be DOA.

Doctor Omega

Here is the barn that they need to take STAR TREK DISCOVERY out into......

barn-insulation.jpg

..... and then shoot it!

Actually, I'm just sorry that they shot any of it in the first place. :emoji_confused:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
The original series is the best and none of the others come anywhere near, especially Discovery, which could be set in any universe, time or reality but isn't!
JB