Fun Star Trek: Voyager

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
No offense to the people in the video but that's not the kind of neighborhood where I would expect to find a tv star, even a has-been.
Everybody has to live somewhere.

And going by what I've seen recently, there are a few soon-to-be has-been stars that would be lucky to end up somewhere as nice as that.

Simian Jack

Member: Rank 1
Sounds like growing mental illness. I feel bad for her and her neighbors alike.

I hated Voyager in the day and gave up on it partway into S2, kept sampling it randomly after that. I tried to like it, was sure I would love it up til the debut after and was way surprised how much I didn't. The people I'm with in NY are fans, though, and are into S5 now. I'm watching with them and mostly enjoying it although some of the flaws are still present.

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
I got back into watching Voyager again and the show's problem is the seasons are too long, there are too many filler episodes. Well, that's not the only problem but with shorter seasons they could have distilled down some of the storylines and trimmed the fat. Also in S2 it seems that every episode tries to be epic. There really isn't anything wrong with bread and butter episodes where you go to an alien planet, crazy stuff happens, and you leave. Also Seska was damn near omnipotent, a genius tactician and effective leader. She knew Voyager better than anyone in Starfleet. I suspect that with Seska in charge they would have found a way back to the Alpha Quadrant a lot sooner and probably conquered the Delta Quadrant in their spare time.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I was always just annoyed that, 70,000 light years from home with a crew half made up of criminals, they managed to have a perfectly maintained ship, always in pristine condition, and crews that melded into a single starfleet crew without any real issues.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Robert Beltran speaks......

About this "fucking show" that "I busted my ass" making for "all you fucking Star Trek fans!" and about all those "shitty scripts that I didn't even bother fucking learning!"

I have a feeling that some editorial pruning might have gone on though! :emoji_head_bandage:

VOY_Official_Magazine_issue_7_cover.jpg

Doctor Omega

Marina Sirtis has also spoken in the past of getting a phone call from Rick Berman which went along the lines of...

"You're putting on weight. We pay you a lot of money to be a good looking woman, so lose it!" (Click)

Doctor Omega

I am currently finally, finally giving this show a dedicated watch from beginning to end at long last, after just seeing random episodes in the past.

I like it.

Of course, allowances have to be made about how they are gonna keep bumping into the same familiar aliens over and over again while journeying home. Also that their 38 photon torpedoes that "cannot be replaced" end up as something like 200 over the course of seven years.

But I can do that. I like the characters and the planet/dilemma of the week set up so far. (Am up to about episode 10 of season one.)

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Am on Season 3 now. I see a problem in that they have been bumping into the Kazon and the Viidians over and over again and it seems as if they are stuck in the same neighbourhood of planets.

Have not been keen on the Kazon, which seem a bit too much like the Klingons. It turns out that they were supposed to be based on teenage street gangs in cities - and were all supposed to have been played by teenagers, with life expectancy being short due to their violent lives in rival gangs, but this got lost in translation and casting - to the point where they might as well have been Klingons.

I like the concept of the Viidians though, but the series is starting to look stupid now when they and the Kazon keep turning up, even though Voyager is heading home. Is the ship going around in circles?

I really liked Brad Dourif's character of Suder. I think they could have kept him on as a worrisome regular.

It was sad to see in FLASHBACK that Grace Lee Whitney's acting ability was, I felt, pretty much gone. She said in her autobiography that she was not supposed to be able to see Janeway stood next to her in the scene, but she - Grace - was so intimidated by the presence of Kate Mulgrew that she said "Kate! You're freaking me out!!" Kate said "Well, I will have to leave the set then, because we need to get this scene." (Which they did on the next take.) I thought also that George Takei was revelling a little too much in the delivery of his lines, bantering with Kang, Tuvok etc.; with his - the actor's - conceit at finally being on the verge of a Captain Sulu series showing through in the performance just a little too smugly.

I really like Voyager and the characters in it. I remember seeing the first ever assembled cast photo and thinking that Neelix looked like one of the stupidest alien make-ups I had ever seen. But his character/the actor has grown on me.

Hope they fully explore Kes' character before her departure. The character seems a little dumb to me "I am two!", but the actress is likeable in the role. Very sad, what happened to Jennifer Lien.

I like Tuvok too. Tim Russ had perhaps a bigger challenge than Nimoy, who at least had fun as an actor with the "half-human" struggle. Tim, playing a pure Vulcan, has nevertheless made him interesting, likeable - and very often the voice of sane reason, when others are trying to force decisions through on pure sentiment and emotion. Case in point when the crew were on the verge of mutiny against Captain Tuvok - because they wanted to go back and rescue Janeway and Chakotay, through contacting the Viddians for a cure for the pair.

Tuvok was right and the entire crew were wrong. I know this for a seeming fact - coz I was shouting it at the screen at the time. :emoji_anguished:

Yep, I am enjoying VOYAGER. Bring on the remaining seasons!

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Have been working my way like a crazed thing through the complete boxset of the entire show.

Have just commenced season 6 and it's very watchable.

I barely saw much of it on the original run, because I felt that Paramount were churning episodes of various TREK out like greedy fools. And we yet had ENTERPRISE to follow on from this too.

But now, with the distance of years, I can see that a lot of these episodes of these various incarnations were - if not works of genius - at least very finely crafted, with intelligent writers in the background.

So, if not brilliant, certainly serviceable TREK imo - and far, far better than the JJ things, or DISCOVERY (and probably better than the forthcoming PICARD too).

Last edited: