Review Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
It had recently been pointed out that all of the Lucas controlled films were - while contrived works taking bits and pieces from myths and stories and other films - still creating a new story and myth with those elements. The new films seem to be focusing too much on why fans hated the prequels and less on creating anything new. They are playing it safe, and while I enjoy the films, they are missing that element from the original films.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Harrison Ford Almost Wasn't In "Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

By far, the most exciting thing about the new "Star Wars" is the fact that the original cast is back together. But getting everyone to commit proved tricky for director J.J. Abrams.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I’ve heard that Harrison Ford never liked the character of Han Solo. He didn’t think he was likable enough. In fact he wanted to be killed off in The Empire Strikes Back but back then they were smart and didn’t do that. I guess he insisted on that pointless implausible death to be rid of the franchise.

The Seeker

I really like the idea this poster has: https://moviechat.org/tt2488496/Sta...5dfb161d97b722e27f691/Alternate-Force-Awakens

Alternate Force Awakens

Just rewatched Enders Game and it struck me..Remember before there were any trailers to TFA there were fan trailers using shots from Enders Game with Ford and he's all clean cut, in the cool futuristic uniform..

Han could've been a clean cut General in charge of the fleet (like Adama in BSG) in a cool looking uniform (instead of going back to being a lowly smuggler)

Luke could've been an all powerful Jedi master in the new Jedi council (instead of a hermit)

Leia could've been like queen of the galaxy (not a general)

Ben Solo - Conflicted but not yet turned to the dark side by Snoke

Rey could've been a young apprentice jedi of Lukes academy

Finn & Poe just 2 Xwing pilots

Quick plot synopsis: 30 years on from the defeat of the Empire, the New Republic is thriving when a familiar sinister evil lurks in the shadows of the Jedi. As The First Order slowly rises, Master Luke Skywalker and Queen Leia must once again enlist the help of General Han Solo to defeat this new unforeseen enemy that threatens to destroy the peace and justice in the galaxy..

I bet that’s something Rian Johnson would have come up with, if he could have done that first movie, instead of that hack Abrams.

The Seeker

That's a great alternative set up. Starting off with the characters in a positive place, where you would want them to be, Damn Abrams! :emoji_angry:
When you think about it that's where they should be, because at the end of RETURN OF THE JEDI the Galactic Empire was thoroughly defeated and the Rebel Alliance was on top. There would have been no reason for them to wreck everything so completely that they wind up back on square one, with Han Solo's character arc nullified.