Review Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Discussion in 'Cinema: Now Playing' started by Doctor Omega, Feb 18, 2017.

1. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 7

In many ways, it still looks like the old SW. In other ways, it looks much different, mainly due to better special effects. The one thing that the new films are getting right is utilizing as many in camera effects and traditional effects as possible, and making things look as close to the original trilogy as they can. Lucas, in making the prequels, tried too hard to make everything as pretty and spot free as possible. It was all too obvious they were on green screen sound stages.
    What are you talking about? TNG looked just like TOS! Except for the wood paneling on the ship. And the carpeted bridge. And the touchscreen controls. And the jumpsuits. And a Klingon officer. And an android who looked less human than Mudd's Women. And a lack of toupees. And Romulans who were pussies. And Troi's cleavage. And a woman doctor. And a bar. And...

• Like Like x 1
  2. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

That's good to hear.

I must get around to watching one of these "new" SW films one of these decades.
    In some sense, ST: TNG was a continuation, but it was more of a sequel or a spin-off.

Although it still managed to capture the essence of the original.

However, STAR TREK CONTINUES literally is a continuation and it absolutely buries the alternative time-line ST films.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 7

I still haven't delved into STC, but it looks really great. There had been another continuation series a few years back that was...lacking, if you will. However, I have too many things I am trying to get caught up on at the moment, so it's on my "I will watch this before I die" list.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Johnson Responds To “Last Jedi” Backlash

johnson-responds-to-last-jedi-backlash.jpg

Rian Johnson’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” raked in $494 million worldwide by the end of Monday after its first weekend of release, a stellar start for a franchise film that serves as the direct follow-up to “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and the second entry in a trilogy.

While critical reviews have been strong, and exit polls from professional regulated independent pollsters like comScore’s PostTrak and CinemaScore have seen audiences give it high marks (5 stars/89% and an ‘A’ respectively), the online and social media reaction has told a different story – one of a highly divisive film that’s generating a lot of passionate discussion that isn’t dying down.

In this day and age of immediate reaction, extreme fandom and crowdsourced campaigning, the polarised reaction is seemingly getting more extreme as people dig their heels in for their ‘side’. There’s no question Johnson shook things up with his film and those expectation-defying decisions are behind much of both the joy and irritation with it. Now Johnson has addressed the wave of backlash, saying in an interview with Business Insider:

“Having been a Star Wars fan my whole life, and having spent most of my life on the other side of the curb and in that fandom, it softens the blow a little bit. I’m aware through my own experience that, first of all, the fans are so passionate, they care so deeply – sometimes they care very violently at me on Twitter.

But it’s because they care about these things, and it hurts when you’re expecting something specific and you don’t get it from something that you love. It always hurts, so I don’t take it personally if a fan reacts negatively and lashes out on me on Twitter. That’s fine. It’s my job to be there for that.

Every fan has a list of stuff they want a Star Wars movie to be and they don’t want a Star Wars movie to be. You’re going to find very few fans out there whose lists line up. And I also know the same way the original movies were personal for Lucas.

Lucas never made a Star Wars movie by sitting down and thinking, ‘What do the fans want to see?’ And I knew if I wrote wondering what the fans would want, as tempting as that is, it wouldn’t work, because people would still be shouting at me, ‘F— you, you ruined Star Wars,’ and I would make a bad movie. And ultimately, that’s the one thing nobody wants.

And let me just add that 80-90% of the reaction I’ve gotten from Twitter has been really lovely. There’s been a lot of joy and love from fans. When I talk about the negative stuff, that’s not the full picture of the fans at all.”

The response comes as, according to Bleeding Cool and Movieweb, users on Facebook and 4chan are taking ‘credit’ for using bots and other techniques to knock down the audience score for “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” on the likes of the IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. At the same time a Change.org petition is online calling for Disney to remove “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” from the official canon.

Disney president of theatrical distribution Dave Hollis has also responded to the backlash, saying: “This a Star Wars film like audiences have never seen – it’s got people talking, puzzling over its mysteries, and it’s a lot to take in, and we see that as all positive, that should help set the film up for great word-of-mouth and repeat viewing as we enter the lucrative holiday period.”

5. JohnnyL REACTS

JohnnyL REACTS Member: Rank 1

Boy oh boy, where do I begin with this. I have a spoiler free reaction to the RT score AND a spoiler filled review on my youtube channel if anyone wants to check it out.

I will say I have seen the film twice. Once on opening night (the 14th), and then the Sunday following. Both times in Ultra AVX. I will say that I really enjoyed the film. It was an impactful experience filled with excellent moments and poorly executed ones as well. Poor decisions.

This post could go on for pages so I'll keep it short. I did not feel Rian took enough care with the material, the universe, the lore so to speak at his disposal. In his attempt to provide shocks, he disappointed fans and confused them. In his attempt to bring humour, he took you out of the moment. His decisions with Luke, could have been better. His decisions with Rey and her arc, could have been better. How he juggled the other characters and their stories, again, I feel improvement was needed.

STILL, many powerful moments that really landed. Luke and Rey's moments on the Island were very good. Rey and Kylo force connects and interactions were exceptional and intriguing. Snoke was portrayed powerfully. Action scenes had impact. Throne room scene is an all timer. Ending is fantastic with a powerful twist from Luke.

But still, the actual story of the rebels and their fleeing was week. Luke tossing the sabre. Blasphemous. The jokes mostly. Stupid. Rian's choice for how to portray Luke. I disagree. Finn, should have died. Poor character. Rose dido. Canto bight. Cut it all and give us more Rey and Luke on the Island training. ALL MAJOR theories unanswered or spat on.

Very mixed feeling towards this one. Have never been this torn towards a Star Wars movie before, maybe any movie. I will need a 3rd/4th viewing. Awaiting Blu-ray now..

• Like Like x 1
  6. croft_alice

croft_alice Member: Rank 4

I was at the premiere of this movie,the movie seemed boring,even sg 1 and antlantis have better space battles,the only scene that i laughed was when i saw Kylo's face when Luke tricked,that was a badass scene.