Review Supernatural (2005)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
adsdsff.jpg

Your thoughts on this show.....

Two brothers follow their father's footsteps as "hunters", fighting evil supernatural beings of many kinds, including monsters, demons, and gods that roam the earth.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Supernatural” Going Smaller With Season 13

supernatural-going-smaller-with-season-13-696x464.jpg

The upcoming thirteenth season of “Supernatural” is going smaller scale with its story arcs following several seasons of epic storylines.

The tenth season saw Death himself killed, the eleventh season dealt with God and his sister, and the twelfth season chucked in the sadistic British Men of Letters along with Lucifer’s return and his son and an alternate dimension.

Executive producer Robert Singer tells Cinema Blend that the plan for S13 is to return the focus to the core family-brothers dynamic of the early seasons:

“Deliberately we’re not doing like, I mean last year was pretty big with the British Men of Letters and the whole sort of organizational thing and all that, and this year we made a conscious effort that we wanted to go a little smaller and more personal so with mom in the apocalypse world with Lucifer and the boys having to deal with Satan’s son we thought there would be a lot of emotional possibilities and that’s kind of what we wanted to play with this year. Last year was about bringing the family back together, this year is what do you do when your family gets blown apart.”

The new season of “Supernatural” premieres Thursday October 12th.

Doctor Omega

Dean Morgan Briefly Returns To “Supernatural”

dean-morgan-briefly-returns-to-supernatural-696x464.jpg

The upcoming 300th episode of The CW’s “Supernatural” will see Jeffrey Dean Morgan reprising his role of John Winchester, father of Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Sam (Jared Padalecki).

Morgan first appeared in the show’s pilot and, despite the series’ ability to resurrect dead characters, he hasn’t been seen on the show since 2008.

The episode, titled “Lebanon,” is slated to air Thursday, February 7th on The CW.

Doctor Omega

announcement-sign-character-means-corporate-communication-or-con-100259696.jpg

“Supernatural” To End With Season 15

The cast and crew of The CW’s “Supernatural” have announced that the series will conclude with the upcoming fifteenth season of the show due to premiere in the Fall.

Actors Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki and Misha Collins have issued a video statement announcing the show’s conclusion.

https://twitter.com/jarpad/status/1109190627634434049?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1109190627634434049&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.darkhorizons.com%2Fsupernatural-to-end-with-season-15%2F

The series was renewed for Season 15 earlier this year with those at the network having said they had every intention of continuing as long as the show’s stars wanted to continue and ratings held up (which they have).

The CW has confirmed that with the final season will consist of twenty episodes, bringing the show’s final total to 327 episodes by the time it concludes around April/May 2020.

In a statement, co-showrunners and executive producers Andrew Dabb and Robert Singer said: “Firstly, we would like to thank all the people who have been involved with the show both in front of and behind the camera. For us it has been an experience of a lifetime. The support we have had from both Warner Bros Television and The CW has been incredible. We’d like to give special thanks to Jensen, Jared and Misha for making this journey so special. It is now most important to us to give these characters that we love the send off they deserve.”

Doctor Omega

“Supernatural” Stars Explain Ending Their Series

supernatural-stars-explain-ending-their-series-696x464.jpg

The other week came word that The CW’s “Supernatural” is coming to an end with the upcoming 15th season of the show to be its last.

It was an interesting announcement because it was not done due to any studio pressure, network regime change or ratings drop, instead it was a joint decision made by the cast and crew of the long-running series which has been consistently on the air since 2005.

This weekend stars Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles spoke at a fan convention in Las Vegas to explain why they chose now to conclude the series. Padalecki re-iterates it was a “was a community decision” and neither the network or studio had any part in it. Ackles elaborated (via Joblo):

“It wasn’t an easy decision. It was months and months, if not years, of discussion between [Jared] and I, between the rest of the cast, between the crew, between our writers, between our producers, between the studio, between the network.

Nobody wanted to see this show fizzle out. I think that it was everyone wanting to do the biggest service to the show that we could by going out strong. It just seemed like the writing was kind of on the wall as to when that was happening. I think everybody kind of felt that it was coming soon. So it was just taking that leap of faith of going like, ‘Well, guys, let’s get out the paint and paint that finish line, and hold our heads high, because what we’ve accomplished is unlike any other.”

While very few shows last as long as this one has, almost all the others in this field that have are very procedural in nature with little in the way of ongoing storylines. “Supernatural” on the other hand has always had a blend of heavily serialised and standalone episodes (ala Buffy & X-Files), utilising arcs that last for multiple seasons and even offering two tonal reboots (at the end of S5 & S11) which effectively reset the board all whilst keeping much of its key cast.

The final season will consist of twenty episodes, bringing the show’s final total to 327 episodes by the time it concludes around April/May 2020.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
View attachment 16206

“Supernatural” To End With Season 15

The cast and crew of The CW’s “Supernatural” have announced that the series will conclude with the upcoming fifteenth season of the show due to premiere in the Fall.

Actors Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki and Misha Collins have issued a video statement announcing the show’s conclusion.

https://twitter.com/jarpad/status/1109190627634434049?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1109190627634434049&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.darkhorizons.com%2Fsupernatural-to-end-with-season-15%2F

The series was renewed for Season 15 earlier this year with those at the network having said they had every intention of continuing as long as the show’s stars wanted to continue and ratings held up (which they have).

The CW has confirmed that with the final season will consist of twenty episodes, bringing the show’s final total to 327 episodes by the time it concludes around April/May 2020.

In a statement, co-showrunners and executive producers Andrew Dabb and Robert Singer said: “Firstly, we would like to thank all the people who have been involved with the show both in front of and behind the camera. For us it has been an experience of a lifetime. The support we have had from both Warner Bros Television and The CW has been incredible. We’d like to give special thanks to Jensen, Jared and Misha for making this journey so special. It is now most important to us to give these characters that we love the send off they deserve.”
I've never seen an episode, so I can't say it's demise will have any effect upon me.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Interestingly, it was supposed to end after season 5. The show's creator had a 5-year plan for it, and if you watch the season finale, you could see how it could have been ended and not leave too much to be desired. Kripke left, if I remember correctly, because studio heads demanded it keep going, and inserted a final scene of Sam having come back from the dead.

Even after that, it's a show I still love (I'm a season or so behind, so I need to catch up, story of my life right now), but the seasons do seem to follow the same formula: We end with Sam and Dean causing some world ending shit, and the next season is them fixing it, only to have something else world ending happen to fix the first fuck up. They still make a fun show and keep it interesting, but that is my major problem. At least they started creating an actual universe for all of it in the second season and got away from the generic Monster of the Week formula.

ant-mac

Interestingly, it was supposed to end after season 5. The show's creator had a 5-year plan for it, and if you watch the season finale, you could see how it could have been ended and not leave too much to be desired. Kripke left, if I remember correctly, because studio heads demanded it keep going, and inserted a final scene of Sam having come back from the dead.

Even after that, it's a show I still love (I'm a season or so behind, so I need to catch up, story of my life right now), but the seasons do seem to follow the same formula: We end with Sam and Dean causing some world ending shit, and the next season is them fixing it, only to have something else world ending happen to fix the first fuck up. They still make a fun show and keep it interesting, but that is my major problem. At least they started creating an actual universe for all of it in the second season and got away from the generic Monster of the Week formula.
The name put me off right from the start. And the fact that it's just a couple of guys and not a government agency or some special project also vastly reduced its appeal.

That was also a major issue for me with SLIDERS...

I loved the basic concept, but the fact it was created by some kid in his basement...? Bullshit.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
The name put me off right from the start. And the fact that it's just a couple of guys and not a government agency or some special project also vastly reduced its appeal.
It is a little more than that. Sam and Dean are hunters, who go back centuries, and basically their job is killing monsters. These two generally work on their own, but have worked with other hunters in stories. Also, hunters typically look like, well, hunters. Jeans, flannel shirts, and usually are tough, rugged guys (and gals) who talk like truckers and have little in social graces. Sam and Dean were brought into hunting by their father, who became a hunter after his wife was killed by a demon (she, too, had been a hunter, and had come from a long line of hunters, but wanted to get away from the life after settling down). Sam had tried to get away, and had gone to law school, but was brought back into it by Dean after their dad had gone missing, and then Sam's girlfriend was killed by the demon that had killed his mom.

Keeping up? I hope so, because we start going into soap opera territory.

Later they brought in the Men of Letters, who were the scholars of the hunting world. The MOL studied and kept records of the monsters, the hunters killed them. The MOL were all educated, well mannered and well dressed, and looked on the hunters with disdain. They thought they were the real defense against evil, and hunters were just blunt instruments who were to be used only when absolutely necessary. Eventually, Sam and Dean learned that their great-grandfather was an MOL, so they were legacies, and wind up using one of their abandoned headquarters as their base of operations.

Also, in season 4 they find a friend and companion in Castiel, and angel who adds humor and learns how to be more human over the years.

There is a lot more, but too much to get into here. I can only recommend trying out a couple of episodes, and if you don't like it, no sweat (again, it does get better in the second season, and even better in season 5 when the incomparable Mark Sheppard is introduced as Crowley.

ant-mac

It is a little more than that. Sam and Dean are hunters, who go back centuries, and basically their job is killing monsters. These two generally work on their own, but have worked with other hunters in stories. Also, hunters typically look like, well, hunters. Jeans, flannel shirts, and usually are tough, rugged guys (and gals) who talk like truckers and have little in social graces. Sam and Dean were brought into hunting by their father, who became a hunter after his wife was killed by a demon (she, too, had been a hunter, and had come from a long line of hunters, but wanted to get away from the life after settling down). Sam had tried to get away, and had gone to law school, but was brought back into it by Dean after their dad had gone missing, and then Sam's girlfriend was killed by the demon that had killed his mom.

Keeping up? I hope so, because we start going into soap opera territory.

Later they brought in the Men of Letters, who were the scholars of the hunting world. The MOL studied and kept records of the monsters, the hunters killed them. The MOL were all educated, well mannered and well dressed, and looked on the hunters with disdain. They thought they were the real defense against evil, and hunters were just blunt instruments who were to be used only when absolutely necessary. Eventually, Sam and Dean learned that their great-grandfather was an MOL, so they were legacies, and wind up using one of their abandoned headquarters as their base of operations.

Also, in season 4 they find a friend and companion in Castiel, and angel who adds humor and learns how to be more human over the years.

There is a lot more, but too much to get into here. I can only recommend trying out a couple of episodes, and if you don't like it, no sweat (again, it does get better in the second season, and even better in season 5 when the incomparable Mark Sheppard is introduced as Crowley.
Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the other part of the problem...

Supernatural: caused by forces that cannot be explained by science.

I rarely have time for that sort of thing, although I do make the occasional exception, such as for EXCALIBUR, THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and so forth. However, normally, if you observe closely, you can actually see the moment where my eyes begin to glaze over and I lose consciousness when people start talking about that sort of thing. :emoji_wink: