Review Tales from the Crypt (1972)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
faefew.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie......

Five strangers get lost in a crypt and, after meeting the mysterious Crypt Keeper, receive visions of how they will die.

Last edited:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Tales From The Crypt 1972, with the great Peter Cushing as Arthur Grimsdyke, the poor old man who is forced to take his own life after secret abuse from his neighbour played by Robin Philips! The Monkey's Paw and the other stories were good as well! This one is available as a DVD by Final Cut Entertainment in the UK!
JB

Doctor Omega

Tales From The Crypt 1972, with the great Peter Cushing as Arthur Grimsdyke, the poor old man who is forced to take his own life after secret abuse from his neighbour played by Robin Philips! The Monkey's Paw and the other stories were good as well! This one is available as a DVD by Final Cut Entertainment in the UK!
JB

They really don't make them like they used to, JB.

And I often found the Amicus fare scarier and more downright eerie than the majority of what Hammer was offering. I think Amicus had the slight advantage of throwing not one but several tales in one movie. You would just be absorbing the horrifying ending of one tale even as you were starting the next.

With Hammer you knew that the monster, be it a vampire, or the latest Frankie Monster, would meet a sticky end and that the beautiful girl would end up in the loving embrace of Hans/Paul as they looked on at a burning castle or whatever..

In Amicus there rarely, if ever, seemed to be such a happy ending - for anyone, so they could be very unnerving to watch. But I made sure I never missed a tv broadcast of these great films! :emoji_alien:

johnnybear

Think I preferred Hammer but I'm getting you, Doc! Amicus films always left you with a thought and not always a happy ending while Hammer like you say always delivered the heroine to safety and the demon/monster/lunatic always met his fate with a glorious bang!
JB

Doctor Omega

Don't know about anyone else, but.......

Even though, looking at it now, it is clearly a man in a mask, this sequence forever made me just a little bit wary of motorcycle riders..... :emoji_scream:

i132494.jpg tftc_palerider.png

johnnybear

Thing is, was it meant to be a mask or what? you can see the guys eyes behind the mask which is excellent but with a bit of black make-up could have hidden that like with Peter Cushing as Grimsdyke's zombie in the study!
JB