Review The Abominable Snowmen (1967)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
People seem to love this one, but I can't help thinking it looks a bit dull.

And the lack of snow has always disappointed me. Not the BBC's fault though, given the budget they had! :emoji_alien: Could hardly expect them to fly out to some real Det Sen!

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Like many stories of this era my first introduction was the novelisation, which was fantastic. A really atmospheric, exciting story, with a fascinating alien enemy in the Great Intelligence. Having since seen the reconstructions, the filmed version seems to plod along and doesn't look that great. I suspect that this story would be a disappointment if it were ever recovered (although I'd never knock back a recovered episode).

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, I have noticed recently that this has started to become a bit of a Holy Grail lost story, but I can't see it myself. I would love to see stuff like the Massacre and the Myth Makers, The Savages, Macra etc personally, simply because there is nothing of great substance left of them and they could all do with a nice orphan each.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Yes, I have noticed recently that this has started to become a bit of a Holy Grail lost story, but I can't see it myself. I would love to see stuff like the Massacre and the Myth Makers, The Savages, Macra etc personally, simply because there is nothing of great substance left of them and they could all do with a nice orphan each.
The Massacre is high on my wish list. It would be fantastic to see William Hartnell's performance as the Abbott. The Myth Makers would also be interesting to see. Donald Cotton had an interesting novelisation style with the story being told by Homer but the first person narrative never really worked for me and it seemed like he drifted from the original script a fair amount.