Review The Adventures of Black Beauty (1972)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Broadcast history

Two series were produced, the first airing from September 1972 to March 1973 and the second from September 1973 to March 1974. Although it was mainly aimed at children, it was shown in the Sunday teatime family timeslot and gained a wide audience, becoming popular enough to make the general Top 20 ratings. It was repeated regularly, although often on a regional basis, for many years, its last full repeat run being on Sunday mornings from 1986 to 1988 (a further repeat run was planned for the summer of 1990, but cancelled because of objections by Equity after repeat fees had not been re-negotiated[1]). Having been shown in several major US markets when it was initially produced, it also aired in the United States on Nickelodeon in the 1980s. In July 2009, Retro Television Network picked up all 104 episodes of The Adventures of Black Beauty and The New Adventures of Black Beauty, and affiliates began airing the show, listing both shows as simply Black Beauty.

Plot

The series was not an adaptation of the book by Anna Sewell, but a "continuation" featuring new characters created by Ted Willis, most prominently Dr James Gordon, played by William Lucas, and his children Vicky, played by Judi Bowker (who became Jenny, played by Stacy Dorning, in the second series) and Kevin, played by Roderick Shaw (at the beginning of the New Adventures it is mentioned that Kevin had gone to sea and become a Midshipman). Supporting characters included Dr. Gordon's loyal housekeeper Amy Winthrop, played by Charlotte Mitchell, and a local boy, Albert Clifton, portrayed by Tony Maiden. Other writers for the series included David Butlerand Richard Carpenter, while directors included Charles Crichton and Peter Duffell. The series, which was filmed mainly at Stockers Farm, Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, was widely acclaimed for its high production values and quality of writing and acting, and at times had remarkable English gothic overtones for a children's series

Main cast

Dr. James Gordon – William Lucas (52 episodes, 1972–1974)
Amy Winthrop – Charlotte Mitchell (52 episodes, 1972–1974)
Kevin Gordon – Roderick Shaw (51 episodes, 1972–1974)
Squire Armstrong – Michael Culver (31 episodes, 1972–1974)
Vicky Gordon – Judi Bowker (26 episodes, 1972–1973)
Jenny Gordon – Stacy Dorning (25 episodes, 1973–1974)
Police Constable Dickins – Kenneth Thornett (16 episodes, 1972–1974)
Albert Clifton – Tony Maiden (14 episodes, 1972–1974)
Ned Lewis – Stephen Garlick (11 episodes, 1973–1974)

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Theme tune

The theme tune, "Galloping Home" was written by Denis King and performed by the London String Chorale. In 1973 it won the Ivor Novello Award for Best Theme Tune and was voted no. 2 (after Hawaii Five-O) in the Greatest TV Theme Tunes of All Time. It was also released as a single and peaked at number 31 in the UK charts in the week of 2 February 1974.

It was later used at the climax of the first series of Absolutely Fabulous, with Edina Monsoon dreaming of running through a field as Black Beauty does in the series' title sequence. The theme tune was also featured in the series Brainiac: Science Abuse. It actually has lyrics by Dick Vosburgh as revealed by Denis King at a memorial concert for Dick Vosburgh in July 2007. The theme was also used in 1975 an episode of The Goodies called 'Scatty Safari', when the team release the main attraction of their Star Safari Park, Tony Blackburn, into the wild. It was also used in the final episode of the first series of BBC TV comedy I'm Alan Partridge. Alan exclaims "It’s brilliant" upon hearing the piece when his PA Lynn puts it on the stereo, they then listen to it again when clearing up after Alan's rather unsuccessful leaving party. On disc two of the I'm Alan Partridge Series 1 DVD release the theme music also plays on a loop over the menu, the background of which is a picture of Alan Partridge running through a field. The tune was also used as the opening theme of Finnish comedy series Studio Julmahuvi.

Doctor Omega

The Adventures of Black Beauty (1972) Season 1 Episode 1 "The Fugitive"

Air Date: September 17, 1972 PLOT: Vicky and Kevin Gordon find a beautiful ebony horse that has been mistreated, and help restore his health. After an exciting Adventure in which the horse helps save a man's life, the horse is given to the Gordon family and Vicky names him Black Beauty.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I used to love this show as a kid and always thought the horse that played Beauty was fantastic! Later on we discover they used two or three different horses in the production!
Recently I bought the complete second series in a charity shop up in Leicester for 99p! Later on I discover that they are very rare now and not available on Amazon or anywhere else! Damn! I'll have to keep my eyes open for the first series and the gorgeous Judi Bowker episodes!
JB