Review The "Alien" Franchise

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
From what I can gather, there seems to have been a collective silent agreement between Fox and a lot of fandom to strike those two movies from the canon....

Doctor Omega

That's Patrick Troughton's grandson, Sam Troughton, in the first film's thumbnail! Breaking into a frozen tomb where long dead creatures, who want to use your body to perpetuate their species, are about to revive. A chip off Grandad's block! :emoji_alien:

tomb-of-the-cybermen-by-roger-langridge.jpg

Last edited:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I liked the two films but they do play hazard with the continuity unless you accept that The Predators can travel in time as well as space!
JB

Doctor Omega

Scott: Next “Alien” To Have An AI Focus

scott-next-alien-to-have-an-ai-focus-696x464 (1).jpg

Though all indications are the “Alien” franchise has stalled in both the wake of the disappointing results of “Alien: Covenant” and the potential imminent selling off of Fox’s film properties to Disney, filmmaker Ridley Scott insists there will still be a third “Alien” prequel.

Speaking with EW this week, the director says if the film goes ahead you can expect a lot less xenomorph action and plenty more focus on the dangers of A.I. as personified in both “Prometheus” and ‘Covenant’ by Michael Fassbender’s David:

“We are [going to make another], we are. I think what we have to do is gradually drift away from the alien stuff. People say, ‘You need more alien, you need more face pulling, need more chest bursting,’ so I put a lot of that in ‘Covenant’ and it fitted nicely. But I think if you go again you need to start finding another solution that’s more interesting. I think AI is becoming much more dangerous and therefore more interesting.”

‘Covenant’ pulled in over $240 million at the global box office, but its near $100 million budget meant the film fell just short of making a profit and saw a notable drop-off from the results of “Prometheus”.

Doctor Omega

I think what we have to do is gradually drift away from the alien stuff

I think AI is becoming much more dangerous and therefore more interesting.

Perhaps you should just have made films about David and never included the Alien elements in the first place, Ridley. If anything, this seems to prove that you have zero passion for making an authentic Alien film. :emoji_confused:

Last edited:

Gavin

VIP
240 million and they're not satisfied?
That's not profit, that's gross. With a budget of $100 million plus probably a similar amount for marketing and also remembering that the studio doesn't get all of the gross - part goes to the cinemas, they're looking at either just breaking even or making a loss on the movie.

Doctor Omega

Disney now has its hands on Fox’s key franchises including “X-Men,” “Alien,” “Predator,” “Avatar,” “Die Hard,” “Planet of the Apes,” “Kingsman” and “Fantastic Four” (which is listed in the press release). Disney now also controls the full rights to all “Star Wars” films with the previously Fox-owned 1977 original likely to go back to Disney’s Lucasfilm – meaning theatrical re-releases and a potential home video version of the original theatrical cut.

Doctor Omega

“Alien” Future Uncertain But Scott Still Keen

alien-future-uncertain-but-scott-still-keen.jpg

Ridley Scott is standing by his firm belief that the “Alien” franchise could be every bit as big as rival and more mainstream sci-fi franchises like “Star Wars” and “Star Trek”. Speaking with the Toronto Sun this week during press rounds for “All the Money in the World,” he says:

“There’s no reason why ‘Alien’ should now not be on the same level for fans as ‘Star Trek’ and ‘Star Wars.’ So I think the next step as to where we go is, do we sustain the ‘Alien’ [series] with the evolution of the beast or do we reinvent something else? I think you need to have an evolution on this famous beast because he’s the best monster ever, really.”

He also spoke about the future of the franchise, especially in the wake of Disney owning Fox, saying the brand is too good to leave on the table and he’d love to continue:

“I would like to; they’re crazy if they don’t. David is a fantastic villain. I love what [Michael Fassbender] did in ‘Covenant.’ But it’s f—ing hard, dude. We lifted ‘Alien’ out of a ditch and made ‘Prometheus’.”

Chances of that though are slim and the comments come as a report on AVP Galaxyindicates the planned sequel to “Alien: Covenant” has been killed by Fox with a source saying pre-production slated to begin this month was cancelled back around mid-year and “a warehouse storage unit full of stuff was auctioned off a few months ago.”

Doctor Omega

Much has been made of whether or not Disney will make any of the studio's more adult-oriented content. An Alien movie would be off-brand for them for instance, although Ridley Scott has been vocal about completing his trilogy of prequels with a film tentatively called Alien: Awakening, focusing on David and other androids alongside the development of the xenomorph in the run-up to his original film.

In the wake of Alien: Covenant's disappointing box office performance, that film is as yet undated, and we're not optimistic about any mooted sequels that are currently in that position.

Doctor Omega

Wild Rumor Of A Potential “Alien” TV Series

wild-rumor-of-a-potential-alien-series-696x464.jpg

With the failure of “Alien Covenant” and the messiness of the Disney & FOX deal putting some of the latter’s franchises into limbo, the “Alien” franchise is now adrift – awaiting a chance to properly come back.

A new report at Omega Underground indicates that the franchise may be on its way back, and this time via an arena it isn’t known for – television. The site says that following on from rumblings over the years of a TV series based on the “Alien” franchise, FOX may be actually ready to announce the project soon – possibly in anticipation of the franchise’s 40th Anniversary next year.

They add that any potential series would not focus on the iconic Xenomorph creatures but would merely be ‘set within that world’. The franchise had been mostly dormant for years until Scott’s 2012 film “Prometheus” and 2017’s “Alien Covenant” (and to some extent 2014’s celebrated video game “Alien: Isolation”) brought the franchise back into the public eye.

johnnybear

Why not let it sleep for a while? If it's failing at the box office why think it's going to be any better on television? If it is cancelled on there they'll blame everyone they can rather than themselves!
JB

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Alien: Isolation was the single best thing that could happen to the Alien franchise. They should make a movie out of that game, if they run out of ideas.

I think the whole series can be reset like in Terminator. I would love to see a reset after Aliens. I totally hated how Alien 3 was handled and let's not talk about Alien Resurrection....

Doctor Omega

My prediction is that the new owners of Fox will look at the franchise, scratch their heads and think: "Sigourney will bring the crowds back!"

And then we will see some variant of the ALIEN 5 idea.

For better or worse, I reckon that this is so predictably the direction that the unimaginative bean counters will go and that we should anticipate the return of a pretty much decrepit (by the time they film it) Ripley.

Of course, I could be wrong, but with previous sequels being forgotten willy nilly lately in both HALLOWEEN, TERMINATOR etc, I suspect the same "forget all those other films" logic will also be applied to this franchise.