Review The "Alien" Franchise

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Really they're just trying to flog a dead horse! Even if they do make a creative, exciting new Alien film, the damage has already been done to the franchise's reputation!
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
What “Alien: Awakening” Would’ve Been About

china-censors-cut-alien-covenant-fass-kiss-696x464.jpg

It’s clear Ridley Scott had plans for at least one more “Alien” film beyond both “Prometheus” and “Alien: Covenant”. At the time of the release of ‘Covenant’, the tease of a third project by the working title of “Alien: Awakening” was out there but beyond that little was known.

Scott was already lining up the film to be his follow-up to “All the Money in the World”. However, ‘Covenant’ scored mixed reviews and bombed at the box-office. At the same time the Disney-Fox deal has thrown the future of any of Fox’s franchises aimed at adults into question essentially nixed the idea of another film in the series anytime in the near future.

Now Empire Magazine (via HN Entertainment) has posted a report indicating that ‘Covenant’ scribe John Logan completed work on the script for a sequel which would have picked up exactly where ‘Covenant’ left off with Michael Fassbender’s controversial character David and the return of the Engineers with the survivors of that race coming after the genocidal android.

Scott previously said “we’re gonna actually go to the planet” by which he likely refers to either the Engineer homeworld and/or LV-426. Rumors of a potential TV series based on the “Alien” franchise are circling, but for now it looks like “Alien: Awakening” has gone the way of Neil Blomkamp’s direct sequel to “Aliens” idea – interesting possibilities that never progressed.

Doctor Omega

A New “Alien” Game Announcement Soon?

a-new-alien-game-announcement-soon-696x464.jpg

Numerous hints have suggested that The Game Awards on December 6th will see the announcement of a new “Alien” video game going by the title “Alien: Blackout” reports VideoGamer.

20th Century Fox recently trademarked ‘Alien: Blackout’ under the categories which include ‘game software’ and ‘on-line computer games’, Cold Iron Studios is reportedly working on a new game based on the franchise, and Game Awards host Geoff Keighley has tweeted an image with the phrase ‘Worlds Will Change’ written in the style of the Weyland-Yutani monitors from the games.

The “Alien” franchise has had a mixed history in video gaming. The two most recent titles were 2013’s “Aliens: Colonial Marines” which was famously riddled with bugs and incomplete due to a tumultuous development cycle, and “Alien: Isolation” in 2014 which scored major acclaim and was considered one of the year’s best games.

The Game Awards will stream across 40 networks on December 6th.

Doctor Omega

Strange “Alien” Instagram Posts Pop Up

The official Instagram account for the “Alien” franchise has been doing something interesting this week, posting daily pieces of artwork and story hinting at something new. Last month came a tease that a potential new video game based on the franchise was on the way, now this would seem to reinforce it.

The six-part story, “Exposing the Secret History of Weyland-Yutani,” follows an unnamed protagonist investigating some accidents at a Weyland-Yutani facility where they have captured a Xenomorph queen and have begun a breeding program.

The clips all contain the hashtag #AmandaRipley, the daughter of Sigourney Weaver’s Ellen Ripley and the main protagonist of the video game “Alien: Isolation”. Could we be getting a follow-up game or comic?

Whatever the case there’s no new film planned for the franchise following the failure of “Alien: Covenant” and the Disney-Fox deal putting the whole franchise’s fate into question at this time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrnlOTvFHLQ/?utm_source=ig_embed

Doctor Omega

That New “Alien” Game Has Been Revealed

that-new-alien-game-has-been-revealed-696x464.jpg

After various teases in recent weeks, the details of the new “Alien” video game have finally been revealed and sadly – it’s not the “Alien: Isolation” sequel we were hoping for.

Instead, “Alien: Blackout” is a mobile game from FoxNext Games, D3 Go!, and Rival Games and has you playing Amanda Ripley aboard a crippled and alien-infested Weyland-Yutani space station.

You must guide crew to safety over seven levels and avoid encounters with the xenomorph. Players must also rely on the damaged controls of the space station or risk sacrificing crew members to avoid deadly contact, permanently altering the outcome of the game.

The game will be available for download on the Apple App Store, Google Play, and the Amazon Appstore soon.

Doctor Omega

Waterston Open To “Alien Covenant” Sequel

alien-covenant-gets-an-honest-trailer-696x464.jpg

The future of the “Alien” film franchise is seemingly on ice as the Disney-Fox merger is still finalising itself, but the star of its most recent entry has expressed a desire to return.

Katherine Waterston, who played a major character in 2017’s “Alien: Covenant,” says she’s still up for the proposed “Alien: Awakening” which would finish off Ridley Scott’s “Prometheus” trilogy. Speaking with The Playlist, she says:

” I don’t live in Hollywood, and I’m always usually the last person to know even what’s going on in my own career. So, [I’m] probably not the best person to ask. But I did get some sense of where they thought they might like to take it when we were shooting ‘Covenant,’ and it sounded really interesting. I would be absolutely game to do more if they wanted to have me. That’s all I know. I’m sure they’ve changed their minds anyway. And there’s been probably loads of different ideas going around and everything. But just in case I spoil something by talking about it, I wouldn’t dare.”

The character was last seen trapped in a stasis tube and looking likely to be impregnated with a xenomorph by the android David. “Alien: Covenant” notably underperformed at the box office, grossing just $240 million worldwide, and ‘Awakening’ doesn’t have a script with Scott’s attention elsewhere at present including a “Gladiator” sequel.

Doctor Omega

Alien: 40th Anniversary Shorts | Official Teaser | ALIEN ANTHOLOGY

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of Ridley Scott’s groundbreaking sci-fi horror film Alien (1979), six visionary filmmakers were selected to bring their Alien-inspired stories to life. From terrifying escapes, to Facehuggers and Xenomorphs, these captivating shorts brings forth an exciting new narrative for fans while paying homage to the original film.

Doctor Omega

Ridley Scott On The Future Of “Alien”

The “Alien” franchise seems dormant for now. With Ridley Scott’s proposed “Alien: Awakening” cut down following the failure of “Alien: Covenant,” talk of a direct “Aliens” sequel completely dead, and the franchise now under the heel of family-audience centric Walt Disney Pictures – the xenomorphs are likely to go extinct right as the franchise hits its 40th anniversary.

Speaking to Heat Vision this week, Scott spoke about not just the making of the iconic 1979 original but also how he thinks his original film is the end of where the franchise can go – effectively dismissing everything that came after including James Cameron’s “Aliens”:

“There’s only ever the one. It’s like trying to do a sequel to ‘2001’. Fundamentally, you can’t. Really, with the greatest respect to ‘Star Wars,’ the best film by far is the one that George directed, right? By miles. It was unique. It was absolutely wonderful to me. It was the fairy story of all fairy stories in space. And to follow through is a tough call. So, same with ‘Alien’.

Interestingly enough, I was never asked to do the sequel. Maybe because I was such a tough guy when I was doing it they didn’t want me back. But I was also in the habit of not wanting to do a sequel then either. So I would never have done it.”

Scott did return to the franchise years later with the two prequels, both of which received mixed reviews. Asked if he sees a future for the franchise, he says possibly: “Go on, leave that [the familiar elements] behind, and see where it can evolve. So we’re looking where we’re going to evolve.”