News The Batman (2021)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Affleck Talks Giving Up The Batman Role

ben-affleck-wants-to-give-up-being-batman-696x464.jpg

When Ben Affleck wished Matt Reeves the best of luck with his “The Batman” film a few weeks ago, it was clear he was effectively retiring from the role which he’d played across three films.

Yet because it wasn’t a straight and outright “I’m no longer Batman” quote from either Affleck or the studio, there were those doubters who said he could still come back. Appearing on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night, Affleck made it crystal clear for the naysayers – he’s done:

“I tried to direct a version of it and worked with a really good screenwriter, but just couldn’t come up with a version – I couldn’t crack it. And so it was time to let someone else take a shot at it. They’ve got some really good people. “

In the clip below, Affleck then goes on to “retire” his Bat cape and adds when asked for one final statement about his retirement: “I’m not Batman.”

Doctor Omega

Armie Hammer NOT In Talks For “The Batman”

armie-hammer-not-in-talks-for-the-batman.jpg

A rumor yesterday has been shot down this morning. That rumor? That “Call Me By Your Name” and “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.” star Armie Hammer was in “advanced talks” to play Bruce Wayne/Batman in Matt Reeves’ upcoming “The Batman” film.

Revenge of the Fans posted the story which goes into the long-rumored list of practically every major actor under 40 currently working in Hollywood including Jack O’Connell, Richard Madden, Kit Harington, Dylan O’Brien, Nic Hoult and Ansel Elgort.

Hammer is understandably on the top of many people’s wish lists to take on the role – age, physicality, acting chops, and background all fit. Of course there’s also the fact that he was cast in the role and went as far as costume tests for it, over a decade ago, in George Miller’s scrapped “Justice League Mortal” project.

However the casting rumors? Untrue. Variety’s Justin Kroll and THR’s Borys Kit have both shot down the report. Kroll says: “Yeah, that BATMAN rumor is false. That said, potential for this week to be very interesting on a number fronts. Sleep tight.”

Kit adds: “I’m not in the business of debunking bunk but considering everyone got in a tizzy over this…there is no truth to the below. Being told there haven’t even been any actor meetings for The Batman. (But that doesn’t mean Reeves and WB don’t have ideas of who they would like).”

That’s not all as Hammer himself shot down the report, telling Yahoo UK: “No one who can actually give me the job has asked me if I’m interested. I don’t even know if they are done – they are still working on a script.”

The rumor shutdown comes as “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” director Zack Snyder has issued a message on his Vero social media page thanking the departing Ben Affleck for his work in the role. Snyder says:

“There was a time above… a time before… there were perfect things… diamond absolutes. But things fall… things on earth. And what falls… is fallen. In the dream, it took me to the light. A beautiful lie… Best Batman ever. Thank you my friend for blessing me with that f–king glorious chin and an amazing heart.”

Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” is currently slated for a June 2021 release.

Doctor Omega

Matt Reeves confirmed on Twitter in an impromptu Q&A session that “The Batman” will begin shooting sometime just before year’s end. He also confirms that after having handed in drafts to the studio, he’s been tweaking and fine-tuning the script. The movie is slated for a June 25th 2021 release.

Doctor Omega

Reeves’ “Batman” Rumored To Be 1990s Set?

reeves-batman-rumored-to-be-1990s-set-696x464.jpg

The trend of setting superhero films in the past seems to be growing. From “Wonder Woman” in the 1910s to the first “Captain America” in the 1940s, “X-Men: First Class” in the 1960s and “Captain Marvel” in the 1990s, people seem to be having little issue with stories of caped heroes from different eras.

Now a new report at Discussing Film indicates that Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” script, which is now in its final stages with Reeves putting the finishing touches on his story, will also adopt the approach.

They suggest the film’s time setting will be the 1990s with the film looking to cast a well-known actor in his late twenties to early thirties as the next Bruce Wayne – thus allowing for a more seasoned Batman to potentially be active in the present day.

The “Batman” film franchise famously defined superhero portrayals on the big screen throughout the 1990s, but if the report is true this would be the first film in the franchise set specifically in the past. Reeves script is said to have more of a neo-noir tone with a big emphasis on Batman’s detective skills.

“The Batman” is scheduled for release on June 25th 2021.

Doctor Omega

Hammer, Isaac, McAvoy On “Batman” Talk

hammer-isaac-mcavoy-on-batman-talk-696x464.jpg

You’ve heard the talk of Armie Hammer potentially playing the new Batman for the Matt Reeves-directed film? So has the actor and he’s a little tired of it.

Recently doing press for “Hotel Mumbai,” he was asked by Vulture if he knows about the rumors of him being up for Leigh Whannell’s new “The Invisible Man” film to which he responded he knows nothing about that and added:

“I get asked about that, and also about Batman: ‘Are you gonna do Batman?’ I’m like, ‘No …’ They’re like, ‘Are you gonna do the Invisible Man?’ And I’m like, ‘Who is making these calls?! No!'”

Then asked straight up if he’s going to star in either, he says “no, neither.” Shortly after he gave another interview to USA Today and says not only is he not in talks for Batman, but no one has actually talked to him about it:

“That’s the problem: I’ve never been approached, but if I was, I would jump at the opportunity. You can only say ‘no’ or ‘yes’ to projects you’re offered.”

Another one who has been linked and asked about the rumors is Oscar Isaac who, whilst speaking with Metro this week during “Triple Frontier” promotions, was asked about the rumors of him playing Batman to which he said: “No. I have only read it online like everyone else. I haven’t had any conversations about Batman, unfortunately, but I am sure it is going to be great. Matt Reeves is such a great director. Yeah, he can get my number.”

Another person also keen for the franchise, albeit in a different role, is “X-Men” actor James McAvoy. Asked if he could play someone from the DC universe in a film during an Instagram video chat earlier this week, he put his hand up for The Riddler saying: “I always kind of liked him when I was growing up. I’ve always thought DC does really good bad guys.”

Whomever is cast in the new Batman, we’ll see the result when the film opens in 2021.

Doctor Omega

Speaking with Variety ahead of the fest, Pattinson spoke about trying on the Batsuit for the first time and the emotional impact it had:

“It’s maybe the craziest thing I’ve ever done in terms of movie stuff. I put it on. I remember saying to Matt, ‘It does feel quite transformative!’ He was like, ‘I would hope it does!!! You’re literally in the Batsuit.’
You do feel very powerful immediately, and it’s pretty astonishing, something that is incredibly difficult to get into, so the ritual of getting into it is pretty humiliating. You’ve got five people trying to shove you into something. Once you’ve got it on, it’s like, ‘Yeah I feel strong, I feel tough, even though I had to have someone squeezing my butt cheeks into the legs.’
You’re trying to think of the way to balance, how to bring something new to it and not want to scare people off, and work in the confines of the costume.”
He also spoke about the backlash he received upon the news of his casting. He responded quite healthily:

“To be honest, it was less vitriolic than I was expecting. It’s much more fun when you’re an underdog. There’s no expectation of you.”

Doctor Omega