Review The Bible

Has This Book Had a Positive or Negative Affect Upon History?

• Positive

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Negative

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I suspect that the answer is probably a bit of both, depending on who has been using it and for what purpose. "Christians" used the Bible to justify slavery, the Crusades, the Inquisition and recently to try to deny rights to homosexuals. But they also developed hospitals and schools because of it. And many of those who fight against slavery and injustice and seek to support the poor and downtrodden are inspired by the Bible. It really depends on how you read the Bible and what message you take from it.

The Seeker

Like Gavin said, it’s inspired some people to do good things. But I’m inclined to feel some disgust at someone who needs an imaginary diety to tell him to help other people. I wish we saw more secular organizations doing things like this. Maybe they’re there but don’t get much press. Maybe take a razor blade to this book, like Thomas Jefferson did, and abandon anything that didn’t - heh-heh - make the cut.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Does This Child Preacher Understand the Words He's Yelling? | The Oprah Winfrey Show | OWN

In the late '80s, the Strode family of Marion, North Carolina, became infamous for striking fear in the heart of their town. Their son Duffey, who started preaching at age 5, could be found screaming Bible verses at the top of his lungs on school grounds. His parents eventually decided to homeschool their children after Duffey was suspended from school multiple times and a petition suggesting the family should leave town received nearly 500 signatures, according to The Washington Post. For more on #oprahwinfreyshow, visit http://bit.ly/1ODj0x7

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I love the kid's dad with his "Interpretation is up to the lord". Xtian double speak for "We don't have to know what it actually says, we just have to go around and shove it down everyone's throats, and when they get upset with us, cry about how we're repressed". And the fact that the kid even sits and admits he has no idea what he's screaming about, but doesn't understand why it's wrong. And the asshats telling him that he doesn't have to justify himself to the crowd only proves that they know they're in the wrong, but again, if you question any of it, you're intolerant.

The Seeker

You kind of have to feel sorry for the kid. I’ll bet he got awfully pissed at his father for putting him on Oprah once he grew up. That was back when you could make an ass of yourself and the whole world wouldn’t see you do it.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Wow. Papa was a real gold star dad, huh? Also, when are they going to join the rest of modern society? Girls have to wear dresses, long hair and shouldn't work? Do they really think that the mores and codes of Bronze Age people with the mental capacity of a fifth grader should be followed in a day and age when we know that, oh, I don't know, women aren't property, but actual human beings?

I say it like that, because men are still prioritized above women in this time, even though I constantly have conservatives telling me that women have so many rights, and that men are basically a minority. It must be rough living with that kind of mentality.