Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
It is gonna get implemented with likes but it's not gonna be so the users get to a VIP status. It will be so the other users knows who is more respected for their opinions by the title.

It's basically a merit system where the people who get the most likes clearly is more colaborative and give more proper answers, so, he/she is gifted by a higher rank on the title.

CoyoteGraves

I'm ugly
It is gonna get implemented with likes but it's not gonna be so the users get to a VIP status. It will be so the other users knows who is more respected for their opinions by the title.

It's basically a merit system where the people who get the most likes clearly is more colaborative and give more proper answers, so, he/she is gifted by a higher rank on the title.
I don't think I like that. It seems too cliquey/popularity contest-y.

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5

What is this collaboration and proper answers stuff? This is an Art board. Accumulation of points benefits those who hang around/been around the longest. Hanging around for a long time doesn't mean you know squat. People will game it and little nazis will spawn. Save the respect for people who write well. Give love to those who don't.

;) Okay, I'll shut up now o_O

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
Can we have custom "rankings"? I would love to have "I'm ugly" as mine.
You could have custom titles, not ranks, like I have [Mr.Patience]. Maybe in the future though.

I'm not sure if a like system would work as it can easily be abused. The rest probably too. But having a post count ranking and keep ranks apart by the hundreds or thousands is just a fun way to see whos addicted and whos just posting normally.

In the end, my intention is to have some fun features on site that just makes it more enjoyable to be here and not a competition about whos best or whatever.

I like it to be useful in the end too, so ppl know that when they are here for a while and really active, then they can take their word on certain questions or something, if that makes sense

shigui

Member: Rank 1

I don't really think that's a good idea. I'm not going to respect someone just because they have a bunch of people following them.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
First of all, this is not facebook, for you to get a like here you need to post something meaningful and second, the person won't have a "higher rank" per-se. It will just have another title.

There is absolutely no difference between a user who gets lots of likes for their publications from the once who doesn't. Functionality wise it's absolutely the same. It's just recognition.

The forum allows you to tweak the ranks and it's a built-in feature so you can either count the post or the likes. We just telling you guys how do you want it implemented.. or not implemented at all. It's all your choice.

sitenoise

so ppl know that when they are here for a while and really active, then they can take their word on certain questions or something
Okay, I'll shut up after this. :p Professional trolls post A LOT.

Showing a post count is one thing. Giving it Status is another.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
People, just chill. We didn't designed the Rank system, its something built in into the forum. As far as I know, the "titles" that change according to the post were a feature since the first ipboard version came, more than 10 years ago. It was always there.

We are just asking you guys how do you want that to be implemented, via ammount of post or likes. In the end we can just use it to make fun titles like.

Newbie for the guy that just registered, member for the already established, Freaking Lunatic for the compulsive poster who can't live without posting on the forums and it's been here for ages..

You know how this goes. If you don't like the functionality working as a rank, we just give funny titles. This was always there, we're just asking you how do you want this to work, that's all.

So, you good with funny titles?

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
If you see the "titles" bottom of each of your names on this post, you're gonna see that the "rank system" is already in place. It just gives standard replies like: New Member, Member, Administrator & so on.

You ARE aware you can even bypass this system and put your own title there dont you?, look at @CoyoteGraves he is already out of the ranking system with it's own title: I'm ugly.

sitenoise

People, just chill.
Oh man. Multiply this by (hopefully) 1,000,000. This is what you are in for. Not about rankings, perhaps, but about whether the new Stars Wars flick is any good.

In our beloved Asian Forum at IMDb we have a guy who rarely discusses anything. Once a week he dumps a dozen or so reviews in one post in our "Recently Seen" thread. It's invaluable. He's our patron saint. After a year he has 52 posts. I can beat that in a day. [Update] in the end there are a lot of people at the current IMDb forums who're going to go where he goes, not where me and my big mouth go.

If you visit the forums at IMDb, the people there know who deserves respect and who doesn't.

Funny Titles: Sure
Bypass the system: Cool, I did NOT know that.

Last edited:

Heeeeey

Member: Rank 2
Really like the blue theme

Just want to add my feedback that the forum is looking really good with the choice of colors.

All it needs now is the drop-down menu list of boards.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeJoHnNiE

I would like you all to read my first post. I may have said post count and Alex said there are more choices to go with, like likes or trophies.

But... What I was asking is suggestions on a fun looking rank system, just for FUN. I cannot say fun enough as it should be fun and nothing else, hence I started with the 1st 2 being Lurker [no post] and Newbie [have a few post].

I do not want a ranking system to see whos best or give ppl the chance to abuse the system. This will happen anyway if we do not pay attention to our users, however Trolls are disencouraged from the start [also a nice feature for us good ppl] and will not have a chance to abuse this as they will not be on site for long if they continue this behaviour.

And as Alex said in the prev post, we want you, the members/community, to have the choice. We can do a simple ranking system and then go with the Custom Titles. If any massive poster wants to have a title like Post Whore or IMF addict, etc, then he/she can get that, I couldn't care less :p as long as it's for FUN!

Ok enough with the funny business, I am going to enjoy my semi cold Burgerking menu now, ttFn...

DeJoHnNiE

Or atleast something that makes navigation easier and conveniant :rolleyes: Clickable links, dropdowns, whatever. Just end the endless scrolling down!

Nick91

Member: Rank 2
Classic Films Board is added! I can't understand why it wasn't there before since there is a Classic Tv one as well. Maybe missed it in setting the place up. There are a LOT of different ones and we tried to add as much as possible on the 1st day. Thank you for noticing!

https://www.imdforums.com/forums/classic-films.170/

to IMF, enjoy your stay!
Johnnie, will there be a cut-off year to distinguish between classic cinema and modern era cinema? As far as Hollywood goes, there are multiple dates that different people use to mark the end of the 'Golden Age'.

For example, the late 1940s marked the end of the studio system that dominated the industry for decades. The same time period also marked the beginning of the television as an affordable household item.

Yet, since stylistic cinematic changes happened gradually, many consider the early/mid-1960s as the definite end of the classic period. By then, Hays Code's control over the filmmaker's creative output had completely vanished.

I personally think that 1800s-1960s be the most suitable year range for anything related to classic films.

DeJoHnNiE

If you think that that is needed then we can either discuss this with your fellow members or have a poll, just to see what everyone else their opinion is on the matter.

I do agree there must be something, but wich year it should be is more up to you all. It can be a year or just when a movie is classified as a classic. Whatever suits you all.

DeJoHnNiE

I edited your title as we cannot blame people doing anything without actual proof. We have contact with the Admin and so far we know he doesnt have any bad intentions towards us.

Don't pay attention to that muppet. The account should be reported for spam and impersonating someone else. That person even had the nerve to find an actual picture and use it on that profile.

This is what Trolls want, attention, nothing else. Report it at the site Admin, that's all we can do. Don't let it get to you or anyone else.