woodensalad

Member: Rank 1
I'll look at the imdb categories and see which ones were hardly used, I think those would be the ones to take out. I can see why you'd want to keep it all as is for a while since everyone wants the familiarity right now, but as soon as that passes, yeah, I would definitely lose them, you can always put them back if people request it.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
In fact, that's what we're going to do. After some time, those categories that were never used will be deleted and users will be able to ask new categories so long as they use them.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
  • Added a Style Switcher at the bottom of the page, more easy to switch than going to the profile.
Go ahead and give it a try, click on the button that says "Red Style" on the footer, easy as pie !

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
User Ranks Suggestions

We have the possibility to change and create our own Ranking system based on Posts and would like to have some suggestions from you all.

The current ranks are boring and I want to have something unique and catchy but nothing that would make people post to just get to that rank. It should be fun for everyone nomatter what title you have.

I would like to start off with the 1st 2, please make a list as I did so it doesnt get all messy, thank you!

Title Post count

Lurker 0

Newbie 1 - 50

... And so on.

Suggestion about the Post count are appreciated but make sure it's not insanely high or unachievable, yet if we have more than x amount of titles then maybe it could be like 1k - 5k and so on.

Take it away!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Ranks can be used to enter Private or VIP forums later, as a gift to those that are very active on the forum so yes, they are really important to built upon :)

Grayovac

Member: Rank 1
One of the unique aspects of IMDb was that there weren't any sort of user rankings for number of posts (though they had a lot of other rankings for things like reviews and other non-message board activity). Personally, I don't care how many posts another person has, I'm looking for quality, not quantity of posts.

I will admit to noticing how long the person has been on IMDb, and will sometimes look at their posting history, since that sometimes indicates whether or not a user has recently created an account in order to post fake posts (for example, if a large number of glowing reviews come from recently registered users, then you have to suspect the validity of the reviews).

But if too much weight is given to post quantity, then all you're doing is rewarding some people into flooding the boards with useless posts.

But the above is just one rabbit's opinion!

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
But if too much weight is given to post quantity, then all you're doing is rewarding some people into flooding the boards with useless posts.

But the above is just one rabbit's opinion!
Opinions are always apreciated and I only want this for the fun of it and not give it any kind of weight whatsoever, just because it could be funny and because we can.

If everyone says we dont need them, then they won't happen, but that's why the choice is yours, the community

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
We can actually implement "merit points", a fine category in which people got promoted by being "useful"

Users of the forum read the replies and when something is good or very good, the people will get a reward, with sufficient rewards the person is considered of a higher rank, not because of how many post he has done, but because how many likes he/she accumulated, which means people are really liking what the person is writing.

Furthermore you can remove the post count functionality and only implement the merit ranks, which I believe is the way to go. Because, yes, a higher ranking person means he/she received more merit for clear answers and he can be trusted.

Either way, the merits wont affect the normal forum functioning and the users can totally ignore ranks if they like, there is no penalization whatsoever for people who don't get likes.

It's just a tool that can be implemented to improve the quality of interactions.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
The antialiasing on the logo text needs improvement. It's kinda jaggy. and the subtitle is legible, but kinda blurry.:)
It's gonna get fixed, plus the other part you reported :)

Just let me eat something first or I'll die a screaming death, hahahha.

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
  • Fixed the overlapping of H1 Titles
Now onto eat.
Make sure you eat and make sure you sleep, or you won't be happy, and you won't do as good of a job as you're doing.

Some of us are going to stand in a corner and bitch a little here and there--it's kind of an emotional time for these some of us's--take it all with a grain of salt sprinkled lightly over a nourishing meal.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
I am goint go have to take the forum offline for 15 minutes.

There is a serious change I need to do. Some people is reporting 404 errors and I found the cause. Some pages being requested as HTTP instead of HTTPS and I need to separate the forum into a new account and create custom rules to force everything into HTTPS.

It's easier than it sounds but I need to do it offline.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Forum is back online. That pesky redirection was driving me mad. Now the forum is 100% https and no other request will be allowed, everything is redirected to https so no more 404 errors for any other user.

Nick91

Member: Rank 2
Out of curiosity, what is the main difference between The SandBox and The Watercooler? If these two sections have a similar purpose, then perhaps they can be merged into one? If so, I think Watercooler would be the best name for it, since the term "sandbox" usually makes me think of a testing/experimenting area before implementing something (for IT-related things, at least).