Review The Black Hole (1979)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0000.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

A research vessel finds a missing ship, commanded by a mysterious scientist, on the edge of a black hole.

Last edited:

alpha128

Member: Rank 3
An under-rated gem?

Or a cinematic misfire?
Personally, I vote for misfire.

It started well. The scenes of them encountering the apparently derelict ship at the beginning, and then discovering that it is still operational were good. But the scientific inaccuracies mount and the film becomes ridiculous by the end.

The John Barry musical score is excellent however.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
It's been so many years since I have watched this one. I seem to remember liking it as a kid, but I couldn't tell you much about it, now. I really should find a copy and re-watch it, just for nostalgia's sake.

Doctor Omega

I remember reading a review of the time that slammed this film - and STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE, where it said... "both films end at the point where they should be starting."

I don't think I can argue with that.

Doctor Omega

On the STAR TREK:THE MOTION PICTURE commentary, one of the commentators mentions that THE BLACK HOLE was the last film to have an overture before the film itself began.....

Doctor Omega

I think we are supposed to think that Heaven and Hell are to be found inside a black hole.... or something.

But the Maximillian Schell eyes inside the Maximillian robot bit has always completely baffled me! :emoji_confused: