Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Birth of a Renegade

The largely forgotten Eric Saward Fifth Doctor story that appeared in the Radio Times 20th anniversary special that ends up explaining why the Doctor left Gallifrey.

005 - Copy.jpg

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg

Doctor Omega

And a children's novel that he wrote, named after his daughter, apparently, hence also the use of "Rebec" in Planet of the Daleks.

I did also read once that "Tarrant" was somehow meant to be an abbreviation of "Terry Nation", but I am not sure how that would work. :emoji_confused:

Doctor Omega

It's a kind of typical - three teenage friends go camping at Stonehenge and end up in the middle of a space war - fare. Written at the kind of Tomorrow People Galactic Trig/Doctor Who Target Book level,

To his credit, Terrance makes the Octopus creatures the heroes and the good looking aliens the villains,

To be honest, I never completed the trilogy and stumbled to a halt during ROBOWORLD, never reaching TERRASAUR.

They are all the same format and approximate word count as his Who Target books, with dramatic chapter titles and the like.

All three were re-released by Big Finish as one omnibus book, some years back....

I am not sure if Terrance was hoping to get some kind of TV, Radio or television adaption out of it, but it seems to have faded into relative obscurity with the passing of time, despite the "The classic abduction trilogy" banner on the omnibus reprint!

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Sounds like an interesting concept. I wonder if my local library might have a copy. Although, to be honest, I always found Terrance's writing (from a novelisation perspective) to be fairly bland.

Doctor Omega

I think that he genuinely got lazy once he realised that he had a practical monopoly on the whole range of adaptions.

Other authors coming in made him up his game of course and his later books see a general upswing in quality.

And, much as I have nostalgic love for Terrance, the fact that he did throwaway adaptions of some of the best stories was a crying shame.

I would love to have read Christopher Bailey's Kinda and Snakedance rather than Terrance's standard 128 page fare. :emoji_disappointed:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Interesting that even then, producers were getting accused of catering to American audiences. I don't think JNT was the best producer there could have been for the show, but I still have fond memories of the show at the time, even with all of its flaws, so I can't say it was completely terrible. But he just seems like someone who is willing to place blame on others when they might not have been doing their job to the best of their ability. Again, he seems like a decent enough fellow, but overly bitter.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I think that Andrew did a better job than Eric Saward, but was fighting a losing battle all the way thanks to the higher ups at the BBC.
No one could have had an easy job doing this show at the time. I know there will always be someone at the top who hates certain programs, and will sabotage them in any way they can, and that's not something anyone should have to deal with when working on a show. Andrew had some really great ideas, and I wish he could have gone forward with more of his ideas. Maybe the show might have garnered enough clout to proceed for another few series.

Some ideas such as the More Than Just a Time Lord were bold and understandable.

I am just glad that the series went out on a creative high, rather than a low - and Andrew is to be largely thanked for that i.m.o.
Very much agreed. At least he didn't propose something silly like The Doctor being half human.

Doctor Omega

Writer and actor Victor Pemberton has passed away, aged 85.

Pemberton was one of a select few to have written for and appeared in Doctor Who.

In 1967, he appeared in Patrick Troughton story 'The Moonbase' as the scientist Jules Faure, who ended up being converted into a Cyberman.

Shortly afterward, Pemberton was hired as assistant to Doctor Who's story editor Peter Bryant, script-editing classic serial, 'The Tomb of the Cybermen'.

He was responsible for writing one of the story's most famous scenes, in which the Doctor (Troughton) comforts his companion Victoria (Deborah Watling).

Pemberton would later return to the series as a freelancer writer, scripting the 1968 story, 'Fury from the Deep'.

Now lost save for a few film clips and audio recordings, 'Fury' is famous for Pemberton's invention of the sonic screwdriver, with the gadget remaining a part of Doctor Who to this day.

Outside of Doctor Who, Pemberton wrote for such series as Timeslip in 1971 and Ace of Wands in 1972. He returned to Who in 1976 to pen the audio adventure Doctor Who and the Pescatons, starring Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen.

Pemberton grew up in Islington, London, and lived for many years in Essex. In later life, he lived in Spain, where he wrote a number of novels.

His life partner was the British actor, producer and writer David Spenser, who himself died in 2013.

Victor Pemberton (10 October 1931 – 13 August 2017)

Doctor Omega

-Invasion-_(1966_film).jpg

It seems that Robert Holmes may have re-used certain of his story elements from this 1966 movie that he supplied the story for in a particular Doctor Who tale that he later wrote.....

Plot

An alien spacecraft crash-lands on Earth, near a secluded hospital not far from London.

The aliens, who are humanoid and resemble East Asians, are taken to a rural hospital where they cause a forcefield to be raised around the building.

Cast

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Oh well, at least Robert didn't claim that there had "been no backlash! At all!" Or call the fans "assholes" or "ming-mongs" for daring to criticise.

Sensitive lot, these new programme makers. :emoji_confused:

On a serious note, what gents those old writers were. Cultured and urbane - and able to laugh at themselves. And they knew the structure of a good yarn, without having to show how clever clever their plotting or dialogue was. They just told a good tale.

The show - and writing in general - misses them.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
The Classic Who Writers
You can't go past the likes of David Whitaker, John Lucarotti, Dennis Spooner, Brian Hayles, Robert Holmes, Malcolm Hulke, Robert Sloman, Chris Boucher, Eric Saward and - for all his faults - Terry Nation.

On a related note, I recently began watching DANGER MAN from the very beginning. A regular contributor to that TV series was Ian Stuart Black.