Review The Defenders (2017)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
“Marvel’s Defenders” Reboots Elektra’s Character

marvels-defenders-reboots-elektras-character-696x464.jpg

Marvel’s upcoming “The Defenders” series on Netflix is taking the opportunity to reboot one of this mini-universe’s key characters – Elektra Natchios (Elodie Yung).

At the end of the second season of “Daredevil,” the character sacrificed herself to save Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox) from The Hand. When she is resurrected in the new series to work for Sigourney Weaver’s villain Alexandra, she will reportedly be a “completely new character”. Yung tells Cinema Blend:

“It was a great idea. I think they got really inspired by the comics. Elektra dies and comes back in a new outfit, and she’s changed. It was a really cool and interesting thing to have Elektra again, just being a completely new character. Almost, because she doesn’t remember anything. And so exploring kind of a new character was exciting for me. So this is where we start. And then Alexandra takes over this new Elektra and forges her the way she wants her to be, if that makes sense. So that’s the start.”

Elektra ended causing a rift in Matt’s budding relationship with Karen Page, a storyline that will likely get some exploration in the new series.

“Marvel’s The Defenders” premieres on August 18th, followed by “The Punisher” first season this Fall. Another season of “Daredevil” is planned and will likely screen on the streaming giant late next year.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Just watched the first episode. Solid! On to episode 2, then get some sleep and binge the rest.

Here's what I love about this, just from one episode. You know how in Marvel's Cinematic Universe, they allowed characters to establish themselves before The Avengers, and then everything flowed so much better because of it? That's how this is feeling. Everyone has already been set in place, and you know who they are, what they do, and everything goes from there. I think the next seven episodes are going to be a treat.

What I'm really saying is, DC? You should have been taking notes!

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I'm torn between wanting to watch it right now and waiting for my son, who's just started season 2 of Daredevil (and I'm rewatching with him).

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I just finished it. I liked it. But I read that this was a stand alone thing, well, it's not. If you haven't seen Iron Fist and certain parts of Dare Devil season 2, you might get a bit, "sure, fine, whatever".

chainsaw_metal1

I thought it was fantastic. True, it certainly wasn't stand alone, but I thought they did a pretty good job setting up everyone's stories, at least enough for those who might be fresh to it (and really, if they haven't watched the other series, what have they been doing?). There were a few brief moments that felt a little slow, but nothing that I would have called filler, like there seemed to be about 2/3 of the way through the other series. The action was tight, the story was pretty good (not perfect, but it delivered pretty well), and Sigourney Weaver was a brilliant villain. Honestly, this is probably my favorite of the series right now.

Doctor Omega

Don’t Expect A “Marvel’s Defenders” S2

dont-expect-a-marvels-defenders-s2-696x464.jpg

When Marvel first announced their plans for four separate Netflix shows leading to a mini-series “Defenders” crossover, the excitement was palpable. Cut to last year and “The Defenders” came out with a whimper, not a bang.

The small screen Marvel series, which started off so strongly with both the first season of “Daredevil” and “Jessica Jones,” then stumbled. The second season of “Daredevil” was far more divisive than the first, “Luke Cage” started well and then fell flat on its face halfway through, and “Iron Fist” wasn’t just widely panned – it was reviled.

The hope was “The Defenders” would right the ship somehow, especially as being only eight episodes it wouldn’t be hit by the same big criticism all of the shows had been hit with – that there wasn’t enough material to sustain thirteen episode seasons.

That didn’t happen with reviews only OK at best, and the recent very mixed reaction to “The Punisher” and soft early reviews for the second season of “Jessica Jones” have cemented that these former must-see events have become far less urgent viewing.

One thing the small screen Marvel universe won’t be doing again anytime soon though is another “The Defenders”. Jessica Jones herself, actress Krysten Ritter, tells Vulturethat there’s zero plans for a ‘Defenders’ follow-up:

“Y’know, I had a great time doing ‘The Defenders’ and honestly, it was such a good experience that I would even do it again. I don’t think we are doing it again. It was never intentioned to do it again, but, you know, if I was given another opportunity, I would. My heart is in ‘Jessica Jones,’ but I did have a great time doing ‘The Defenders’ with the guys. We had a good time. It is what it is.”

The comments come as “Jessica Jones” launches within the next day on the streaming service, kicking off a wave of new seasons of all four solo heroes in the line-up with “Luke Cage” returning in June, “Daredevil” later this year and “Iron Fist” early next year.

chainsaw_metal1

I'm a little disappointed that they probably won't do a season 2. I really enjoyed this show. I hope that they at least work cameos in for everyone on the other shows.

Doctor Omega

“Cage” Producer Keen For “Heroes for Hire”

cage-producer-keen-for-heroes-for-hire-696x464.jpg

Following their meet up in “The Defenders,” it looks like Luke Cage (Mike Colter) and Danny ‘Iron Fist’ Rand (Finn Jones) are set to re-team for the upcoming second season of “Marvel’s Luke Cage”. Whether Colter’s Cage will pop up in the second season of “Iron Fist,” which is also on the way, isn’t clear.

However, the big question is will we see a potential “Heroes for Hire” spin-off series with the pair teaming up properly? Another season of “The Defenders” seems unlikely at this point, so it’s quite possible a potential third season of either “Luke Cage” or “Iron Fist” could be combined into one “Heroes for Hire” season.

In a recent interview with Empire’s Pilot TV, “Luke Cage” showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker was asked about a potential spin-off and says he knows there is a desire for it, and the option is open:

“It’s something that’s in the air. Internally at Marvel Television, everybody knows there’s a part of that combination that is inevitable, particularly when you watch them together in the way that we did it. If feels right. It feels good. It feels like, ‘I want to see more of this combination. Heroes for Hire is really not off the table.'”

Actor Mike Colter was also asked about the possible spinoff, to which he replied such a decision was “above his pay grade” however:

“Me and Finn get along rather well, we’re pretty cool. I think our characters play well off each other. It’s always nice to see your favourites play together but the stakes to the game are not as high as when they play for their own individual teams.”

The second season of “Luke Cage” premieres June 22nd on Netflix.

Doctor Omega

One series that likely won’t return is “The Defenders” with Loeb saying: “Not in the plans right now, but you never know… We’ll see about doing it again – as you can guess it messes with the schedules on other shows – so do you want more Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones or another Defenders.”

Doctor Omega

The fate of “Luke Cage,” “Jessica Jones” and “The Defenders” is unclear at present but should ‘Cage’ get canned it could potentially open the door for a “Heroes for Hire” spin-off on Disney’s streaming service.

Doctor Omega

Disney+ Won’t Save Marvel’s “Defenders”

disney-wont-save-marvels-defenders-696x464.jpg

A new story in Variety has gone into the details of the recently canceled Marvel Television series on Netflix and confirmed what we’ve suspected – don’t expect them on Disney+ anytime soon.

Reportedly the deal for the original four Marvel shows includes a clause that prevents the characters from appearing in any non-Netflix series or film for at least two years after cancellation.

That means “Daredevil,” “Luke Cage” and “Iron Fist” could not come to the Disney streaming service, either in current or rebooted form, until 2020 at the earliest. “Jessica Jones” hasn’t yet been axed but is expected to be next year meaning no revivals until at least 2021.

Interestingly the fate of “The Punisher,” which was not part of the original deal and therefore not subject to the same clause,, is unknown. The second season of that show will debut in January.

Doctor Omega

Marvel releases official statement on Netflix show cancellations

Now that all of the Marvel Netflix shows have been canceled, the studio has released an official response.

Appearing on Marvel.com, the statement from Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb says the following:

“It had never been done before.

“Four separate television series, each with different super-talented showrunners, writers, directors, cast and crew, coming out months apart and then…

“…they would meet in a single event series all set in the heart of New York City.

“We called them The Defenders.

“And together we were thrilled by stories of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and even the Punisher joined in!

“They said it couldn’t be done.

“But Marvel assembled amazing teams to write, produce, direct, edit, and score 13 seasons and 161 one-hour episodes.

“Take a moment and go online and look at the dazzling list of actors, writers, directors, and musicians who graced us with the very best of their craft.

“We loved each and every minute of it.

“And we did it all for you — the fans — who cheered for us around the world and made all the hard work worth it.

“So, Thank You!

“On behalf of everyone at Marvel Television, we couldn’t be more proud or more grateful to our audience.

“Our Network partner may have decided they no longer want to continue telling the tales of these great characters… but you know Marvel better than that.

“As Matthew Murdock’s Dad once said, ‘The measure of a man is not how he gets knocked to the mat, it’s how he gets back up.’

“To be continued…!”

The “to be continued” does suggest some hope for the characters involved but this is, of course, nothing definitive. We will have to wait and see when, where, and if we will see these characters again.