Review The End of Time (2009)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Prequel Short Film.....

Doctor Who: The End of Time - Christmas Special Preview HD - Children in Need 2009 - BBC

0000000000.jpg p05pbw8y.jpg Tenth_Doctor's_Final_Moments.jpg Eleventhdoctor.jpg

Your thoughts on this story....

The Ood have given a warning to The Doctor. The Master is returning yet that is not the biggest threat. A darkness is coming which brings with it The End of Time.

With almost everyone on Earth now recast in his image, The Master controls the Earth.

On to the next story....

THE ELEVENTH HOUR....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-eleventh-hour-2010.5343/

Back to the previous story....

THE WATERS OF MARS....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-waters-of-mars-2009.5407/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

They didn't half drag out Tennant's farewell.

And I was disappointed at it being a WRATH OF KHAN dose of radiation that did him in. At least Pertwee had a giant spider slung in there when it happened to him!

Doctor Omega

368461_1.jpg

On her singing career

I liked singing, but I never thought I had the strongest vocals. And so, I was kind of reluctant, but you’re offered that opportunity at fourteen, you’re like ‘What? I don’t have to go to school any more? Yeah!’. I mean, I was freakishly ambitious, and that’s kind of calmed down now. I still have ambitions, but they’ve slightly changed. I’m happy as an actor, I must prefer that.

On watching ‘Doctor Who’ when she was younger

I had to have. I remember it being on, because the theme tune is really spooky. But I would never really settle down to it. It was just never my thing. But you knew it. If you were English, British, you know ‘Doctor Who’. But I had no idea what I was getting into.

On getting the role of Rose

I’d done a few things. I did ‘Canterbury Tales’. But ‘Doctor Who’… the part was written so well, it gave me an opportunity to really kind of showcase what I had, and I know that people liked it, so that was the one that got me started, really.

Rose is the one showing the kids what the Doctor is like. She’s human, he’s an alien – he’s a Time Lord – and she makes the kids think that they could be there. Because she’s sort of the domestic side of sci-fi, you know?

On being replaced by Freema Agyeman

Doctor Who Magazine had the new girl on the cover. I threw it across the room. I wanted to scratch her eyes out. It’s like seeing your ex’s new girlfriend!

On The End of Time

I didn’t have a full script and I had to do it in three hours. It was after filming ‘Secret Diary of a Call Girl’ in the day, and it was too short! I didn’t know anything about the story. I wish I’d been there for the whole episode – but that would have been a bit tedious.

I haven’t seen it yet! I went away for Christmas and New Year, so it would have been a bit weird trying to sly off and watch an episode of ‘Doctor Who’ on my own! I definitely will, though.

On Matt Smith

He called me, ‘What am I going to do?’. It’s really hard. Your life just completely changes, and it’s such a huge show, especially in Britain. It’s about the biggest show on TV. And it’s frightening, you know, being in that type of production, and having people suddenly know everything about you. He’s just about to embark on that.

On playing the Doctor herself

Dr. Who should be a man. It’s a guy’s job. Plus, there’s nine months’ filming in Wales, and it’s full on. You really have to give it your life, and it can get quite suffocating. I loved the show, and I’m grateful to it, but you’re taking on more than a role, just because of the obsession with it.

On returning to Doctor Who

I think it’s done now, isn’t it? I think that ship has sailed. That old, wooden ship! I really loved doing it, but ‘Doctor Who’ has moved on – it’s different people, different crew, different production team and I can’t keep going back. It’s ridiculous! It’s time to move on…

On Doctor Who: The Movie

I’ve heard that they’re doing it, and I know that they want David to do it. I think David’s slightly anxious that there’ll be big American producers on board and they’ll try to hijack it and cast someone like Johnny Depp.

(Various quotes up to 2010)

Doctor Omega

hqdefault.jpg

Matt Smith (2009)
August 23, 2009
So here’s the ‘extended’ version of the ‘Doctor Who Confidential’ interview with Matt Smith, from back at the start of the year. He talks about his Dad’s reaction to the news, about reading two of the scripts, and about keeping the news of his casting from his friends and family.

Q: How does it feel being cast as the 11th Doctor?

A: Flabbergasted. I haven’t slept, to be honest. Truthfully, I probably look a bit bags under the eyes now. Because it’s an iconic part of our culture, my granddad knows about it, my dad knows about it. It’s been going since 1963 and it has the iconic status of Robin Hood or Sherlock Holmes, and I’m taking it on. That’s my responsibility. It’s exciting. Nerve-wracking, exciting. Exciting. Stops me sleeping.

Q: What was your initial reaction to being cast?

A: What I did when I got the role was I paced around the room for about three days, because I didn’t know what to do, so I’d get up, then I’d come back and I’d sit down, then I’d watch a bit of TV and I’d smile and go ‘I’m the Doctor’… It’s weird, it does weird things to you.

Q: How hard was it keeping it a secret?

A: A complete nightmare, not being able to tell anyone. It’s like any secret, it bubbles up inside you and the longer you try to keep it the more mad you go, and I’ll be in my flat and ‘Doctor Who’ will be on and my flatmate’s there and I’d love to share that I’m the new Doctor, but I can’t and it’s, um… but there’s also a sense of mischief, because I know something that the rest of Britain doesn’t know.

Q: Have you told anyone?

A: I had to tell someone because I was going mad, so I told my Dad. But it’s a giant secret, it’s hugely significant.

Q: How did your dad take the news?

A: He was flabbergasted. And he was very proud, because he loves the show, and then he started talking about Tom Baker, because that’s his reference for it, and that’s the thing – my whole family has references for it, and when my Granddad finds out, I don’t know what he’s going to do with it. He was just immensely proud, yeah, and what do you do with information like that? ‘I’m going to be playing the Doctor’, even I say it now and it freaks me out. He was excited, proud, elated.

Q: What was the audition like?

A: I just did my best. I tried to give my version and be brave with it, make brave choices. It was very surreal, though, because again I couldn’t tell anyone about it. It was bizarre, a bizarre process, I’ve never had an audition like it, really.

Q: What did you have to do?

A: I had quite a lot of scenes to do, and I got the scenes the night before, so I had four or five scenes to do and there were too many lines, you know, to learn them all the night before, so I just had to know my way around the scenes as best I could. I wish I could tell you what’s in the scenes, but it’s fun, there’s a lot of stuff going on.

Q: Have you read any of the scripts?

A: I’ve read two scripts, I’ve read episode one and episode four, am I allowed to say that? And they’re brilliant! And he’s a brilliant writer, Stephen, funny writer. And I can’t say a lot about them, but you’re in for a treat.

Q: What’s your Doctor going to be like?

A: I’ve got this wonderful sort of journey in front of me, where I’ve got these six months to build this… this Time Lord, you know? And that’s such an exciting prospect, because I love that part of being an actor, I love the discovery and the being a detective bit. That excites me hugely, yeah, but I don’t know, I’ve got to build him up.

Q: Have you been warned about the attention the role brings?

A: I have been warned about what to expect, and I think that David’s going to be quite a good source of attention for that because he’s dealt with it with great grace and enthusiasm, and that’s what it’s about, and also you work so hard as the Doctor on ‘Doctor Who’ anyway, you don’t get much spare time. But yeah, I’ve talked to a couple of people about, but I’m just going to concentrate on the words on the page and let the rest unfold.

Doctor Omega

I remember seeing the announcement, seeing Matt, and thinking: "Are they insane?!?"

He proved me wrong though - although I found that he tended to lean on "auto-pilot-sonic-arm-waving" zany a bit much in his latter days.

Doctor Omega

Who da heck was this then......

dwnotmother.gif DW_End_of_Time_-_The_Woman.png

Behind the scenes
  • In the final script, the identity of the Woman is not revealed. In a March 2009 email reprinted in Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale - The Final Chapter, on pages 622-623, Russell T Davies states that he created the character as the Doctor's mother and that this is what actress Claire Bloom was told when she was cast. During filming, newspapers The Daily Mail and The Daily Telegraph announced that Claire Bloom would be portraying the Doctor's mother.
  • However, Davies has acknowledged that the character could be interpreted as any trustworthy Time Lady like Susan Foreman, Susan's mother (the Doctor's daughter or daughter-in-law) or Romana.
  • In Davies' script, when Wilf asks the Doctor, "That woman. Who was she?", the stage direction reads: "The Doctor just looks. At Wilf. At Sylvia. At Donna, in the distance. Friends, mothers, brides. He's not saying."
  • The piece "The Doctor's Theme" plays in the scene where she reveals her face to the Tenth Doctor. This piece was occasionally referred to in jest by the producers as "Flavia's Theme". Flavia was a Time Lady, and a Chancellor.
  • Julie Gardner was of the opinion that the Woman was the Doctor's mother, but admitted there was enough ambiguity to allow other interpretations. Davies generally refused to be drawn in by Gardner's comparative certainty about the Woman's identity. (PCOM: The End of Time, Part 2)