Review The Exorcist III (1990)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

The Exorcist III
is a 1990 American supernatural horror film written and directed by William Peter Blatty. It is the third installment of The Exorcist franchise and a film adaptation of Blatty's novel, Legion (1983). The film stars George C. Scott, Ed Flanders, Jason Miller, Scott Wilson and Brad Dourif. This is the only The Exorcist film not to be distributed theatrically by Warner Bros., though Warner Bros. subsequently gained international distribution rights.

The film was originally titled Legion, but was changed to The Exorcist III by the studio executives of Morgan Creek Productions to be more commercial. The film itself was also drastically altered in post-production with re-shoots imposed by Morgan Creek Productions, who demanded the last-minute addition of an exorcism sequence for the climax of the film.[4] The final version differed from Blatty's vision. Blatty has since expressed desire to go back and reconstruct his original film; however, all of the cut footage is reported to be lost.[5] In a turn of events, the director's cut of the film was released by Scream Factory on October 25, 2016.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
It's not a bad movie, per se. I just never thought it deserved all of the accolades it has received. I read reviews where people talked about how scary it was, and I jumped exactly once during the film, at the obligatory jump scare. It's a good story, well acted and directed, but for me, underwhelming.

Still, better than The Exorcist II or either of the prequels.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I liked this one, but they shouldn't have called it Exorcist 3.
Its also weird that they thought it would be commercially more successful after the terrible Exorcist 2.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
A new BluRay is out in the US which includes an assembly of William Peter Blatty’s cut of Exorcist III. It’s a complex patchwork version that gives us a glimpse of just how extraordinary his original film might have been...

Last edited: