Review The GAME OF THRONES Franchise!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

well-photo.jpg

With the seventh and penultimate season of HBO’s big-budget fantasy series “Game Of Thrones” kicking off soon, and the final season heading into production later this year, the network has turned its attention towards keeping its biggest hit going in some way.

The Live Feed reports that HBO has signed deals with four writers to join George R.R. Martin in the development and writing of four potential series – Brian Helgeland (“L.A. Confidential,” “Mystic River”), Max Borenstein (“Godzilla,” “Kong: Skull Island”), Jane Goldman (“Kingsman,” “X-Men”) and Carly Wray (“The Leftovers ,” “Mad Men”). Martin will co-write with Goldman and Wray.

It’s not clear if these series are prequels, sequels, spinoffs or companion series, but each is said to explore different time periods within the universe created within George R. R. Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire” fantasy book series and won’t be tied to the current series.

‘Thrones’ executive producers Dan Weiss and David Benioff are attached as executive producers on all projects alongside Martin, but neither Weiss of Beniof will be involved in the writing.

All four projects are in the development stage and there’s currently no timetable for proceeding on any of them, the network waiting for the scripts to evaluate whether to go forward.

Last edited:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Four spin-offs?

Let me guess...

GAME OF THRONES - THE TOILET SEAT EDITION

MUSICAL THRONES - THE GAME SHOW EDITION

DE-THRONED - THE UNEMPLOYED ACTORS REALITY TV SHOW EDITION

GAME OF CHAIRS, to be followed eventually by GAME OF STOOLS, you know where this is going…

Doctor Omega

A Fifth “Thrones” Spin-Off In Contention

game-of-thrones-spin-off-tv-shows-for-hbo_1311999.jpg

The other week came word that HBO was considering at least four potential spin-off series to their highly successful big-budget fantasy series “Game of Thrones”.

This past Sunday though came word from George R.R. Martin, the author of the “A Song of Ice and Fire” book series that serves as the source material, that one more has joined the list. On his official site he writes:

“We had four scripts in development when I arrived in LA last week, but by the time I left we had five. We have added a fifth writer to the original four. No, I will not reveal the name here. HBO announced the names of the first four, and will no doubt announce the fifth as well, once his deal has closed. He’s a really terrific addition, however, a great guy and a fine writer, and aside from me and maybe Elio and Linda, I don’t know anyone who knows and loves Westeros as well as he does.”

Martin confirmed his ‘Dunk and Egg’ works will NOT be a part of the new series, but any and all of them are officially prequels to ‘Thrones’ exploring Westeros’ history and beyond.

Source: Deadline

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Don't forget they can always remake Game of Thrones following the story of the books when GRRM has finished writing them (in fifty years or so).

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Don't forget they can always remake Game of Thrones following the story of the books when GRRM has finished writing them (in fifty years or so).
Oh, I doubt they can wait that long to remake it.

You know what these guys are like.

I give them fifteen years tops...

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Oh, I doubt they can wait that long to remake it.

You know what these guys are like.

I give them fifteen years tops...
True. The 50 year timeline was more about when I'd expect the final book to be finished. Then they'll probably be ready for the 3rd or 4th remake. Probably as a direct to brain download.

Doctor Omega

George-RR-Martin.jpg

A Song of Ice and Fire mastermind George R.R. Martin has finally offered his thoughts on HBO developing several new Game of Thrones series based in Westeros… and beyond.

In a massive LiveJournal blog post on Sunday night, Martin served up several interesting tidbits about the new series that are in the works. Here are some easily-digestible highlights:

• First of all, George doesn’t want us calling them spinoffs. They are all prequels. “Every one of the concepts under discussion is a prequel, rather than a sequel. Some may not even be set on Westeros. Rather than ‘spinoff’ or ‘prequel,’ however, I prefer the term ‘successor show.’ That’s what I’ve been calling them,” he says.
  • The goal with all of the series is to make them as good as the original Game of Thrones TV show: “The one goal that EVERYONE involved shares here is to make these new shows just as good as GAME OF THRONES itself. No easy task, mind you. David Benioff and Dan Weiss are a tough, tough act to follow, as all those Emmys demonstrate.”
  • There are actually five projects in development, not four: “We had four scripts in development when I arrived in LA last week, but by the time I left we had five. We have added a fifth writer to the original four.”
  • Martin has been very busy developing the shows with the writers. “Every one of the four has visited me here in Santa Fe, some of them more than once, and we’ve spent days together discussing their ideas, the history of Westeros and the world beyond, and sundry details found only in The World of Ice & Fire and The Lands of Ice & Fire […] They are all amazing talents, and I am excited to be working with them. In between visits, I’ve been in touch with them by phone, text, and email, and I expect there will be a lot more back-and-forth as we move forward.”

• Martin cautions that the goal of all five projects is to shoot a pilot, but he can’t guarantee that they’ll all be ordered to series. “How many pilots will be filmed, and how many series might come out of that, remains to be seen.”
  • He doesn’t want to share what each project dives into, but he does confirm that Dunk & Egg will NOT be one of them. Why not? He’s still writing the series and doesn’t want HBO to surpass him, like they did on Game of Thrones. “When the day comes that I’ve finished telling all my tales of Dunk & Egg, then we’ll do a tv show about them… but that day is still a long ways off.”
    He also says that one of the shows won’t be about Robert’s Rebellion. “I know thousands of you want that, I know there’s a petition… but by the time I finish writing A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, you will know every important thing that happened in Robert’s Rebellion.”