Review The Horns of Nimon (1979)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
b9be738384677b59939e7353b0bb0912.jpg

the_horns_of_nimon_by_dv8r71-d34quyg.jpg

Your thoughts on this story....

After colliding with a spaceship, The Doctor, Romana and K-9 learn young natives from a peaceful planet called Aneth are being transported into a great labyrinth called "The Power Complex" where the evil bull-like Nimon demands that all his victims who enter The Power Complex are sacrificed so The Nimon can return to the Skonnan Empire back to glory. When Romana is taken captive and also chosen for sacrifice, The Doctor and K-9 travel to the heart of the maze as they set out to rescue Romana and foil The Nimon's evil plan to enslave the universe.

On to the next episode....

SHADA

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/shada-1979.3691/

Back to the previous episode....

THE NIGHTMARE OF EDEN

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-nightmare-of-eden-1979.3734/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

While Tom was having the time of his life dominating the show on the studio floor, changing the script whenever the heck he liked, his sometime drinking buddy John Nathan Turner watched quietly from the sidelines; quietly annoyed - and ideas muzzying around in his head about what he would change were he ever offered the chance.

Tom had no idea about the storm that was heading his way as he gave K9's twisted upside down head the kiss of life and the nervous people around him, fearing his wrath, laughed agreeably! :emoji_alien:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
I loved Tom Baker's Doctor, but this is where even as a nineteen year old I realised he had to go. He and the show had become a parody of itself.
The " Kerboing" noises as the tardis console explodes was the final straw. Graham Crowden was a superb actor and given the right material could have been great, but he was wasted here. Tom should have gone after this, season 18 I thought was uniformly crap except Warriors Gate of course,

Doctor Omega

I am glad that Graham did not get the role of the Doctor. Even as just a guest star he didn't take the show seriously and went way over the top. As the Doctor it would have been a nightmare.

I remember being sat with a friend watching that episode and my friend walked out of the room when the kerbong noises happened. And he was a devoted fan of the show.

Yes, I think Horns was a turning point.

michaellevenson

Bit unfair about Graham Crowden. If you watch him in Catweazle, or in A Very Peculiar Practice, with Peter Davison and actually David Troughton, both are superb.
Crowden would be an excellent Doctor, the mannerisms of Troughton blended with the larger than life characteristics of Pertwee.
Get ahold of A Very Peculiar Practice it's worth it.

Doctor Omega

I guess that's true. Being a guest star allowed Crowden to let his hair down and have fun, because the responsibility of carrying the show wasn't his. Being the Doctor would have been a different responsibility and kettle of fish and, being a quality actor, he would doubtless have adjusted his performance accordingly.

michaellevenson

I guess that's true. Being a guest star allowed Crowden to let his hair down and have fun, because the responsibility of carrying the show wasn't his. Being the Doctor would have been a different responsibility and kettle of fish and, being a quality actor, he would doubtless have adjusted his performance accordingly.
Indeed;

Doctor Omega

Very good! I like the eccentricity of the writing!

I remember the show being around at the time, but never got to see it.