Controversial The IMDF Conflict Zone!

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
Hi everyone. OK, I really don't understand why we need a poll. I thought our ratings constitute a form of poll already; that's how I get my "by the numbers" numbers. If you want to have it, I have no objections. I'll call it an average idea because anything less just sounds mean somehow.:emoji_relaxed:
Welcome to the new place! Unless you prefer the old one, and just to think about that gives me a headache... :emoji_head_bandage:

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
If enough people is interested in changing the rating system I may assign LIKE & Dislike, AGREE and DISAGREE as "neutral" scores so everyone can rate without being afraid it's gonna ruin their reputation.

We just need to retain some positive and negative ratings so the community can rate negative someone who is not helping but I think changing these to neutral would be helpful to what you need.

S

smithtutti the horse's arse

id stand up comedy routine on tv in the 90's

i remember watching this def comedy jam type tv show in the 90's, don't know if it was actually def comedy jam. it was stand up comedy. one of the comics, a black man, was talking about washington d.c. and in the voice that black comics use to imitate white people, he says something like, "white people when they visit washington d.c., they go there and say 'look at all the fucking buildings!'" anybody know what this is from? thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Q

Member: Rank 1
If we do a poll it should be a 10 point scale. A 5 point scale isn't enough of a differentiation IMO.

Mad-Pac

If we do a poll it should be a 10 point scale. A 5 point scale isn't enough of a differentiation IMO.
That's what I think as well. If you like an episode and you can only rate it from 1 to 5, then you just have 3, 4, or 5 as options. And you'd probably leave a solid 5 for exceptionally good episodes, the best ones in the season. So, you'd still have 3 and 4. Consequently, supposing you enjoy most of the chapters, there would be several episodes receiving the same grade, either 3 or 4, even if some are better than others. In a 1 to 10 scale, on the other hand, you'll have greater options, from 6 to 9,

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
That's what I think as well. If you like an episode and you can only rate it from 1 to 5, then you just have 3, 4, or 5 as options. And you'd probably leave a solid 5 for exceptionally good episodes, the best ones in the season. So, you'd still have 3 and 4. Consequently, supposing you enjoy most of the chapters, there would be several episodes receiving the same grade, either 3 or 4, even if some are better than others. In a 1 to 10 scale, on the other hand, you'll have greater options, from 6 to 9,
I only ever use the 1 to 5 scale myself, whether it be a book, film, TV episode or video game.

5/5 - Good.

4/5 - Above average.

3/5 - Average.

2/5 - Below average.

1/5 - Bad.

So for a 1 to 10 scale, surely it would just be a case of doubling the score.

So I would only ever score in even numbers. 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10.

John Q

I usually judge our t.v. episodes like this:

10-Outstanding in every way, transends t.v. entertainment.
9-Excellent
8-Very Good
7-Good
6-Above Average
5-Average
4-Below Average
3-Bad
2-Very Bad
1-Dreadful, Awful.

John Q

I only ever use the 1 to 5 scale myself, whether it be a book, film, TV episode or video game.

5/5 - Good.

4/5 - Above average.

3/5 - Average.

2/5 - Below average.

1/5 - Bad.

So you don't think anything is every Great or even Very Good??? That's seems pretty limited.

Mad-Pac

5/5 - Good.

4/5 - Above average.

3/5 - Average.

2/5 - Below average.

1/5 - Bad.

So for a 1 to 10 scale, surely it would just be a case of doubling the score.

So I would only ever score in even numbers. 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10.
I agree with almost everything, so I give your post a 9.5! Or, in your scale, 4.75!

Seriously now. There is a historical context for our system, since it's been used for about nine years, and I think our friends started before grading with 1 to 5 stars became so popular. So it's been kept for nostalgia sake. But later we might update that.

ant-mac

So you don't think anything is every Great or even Very Good???
On my personal scoring system, "good" represents "as good as it gets". I could just as easily have used another word, such as "best", "excellent", "top" or whatever. However, the specific word I chose to use is irrelevant. The important thing is to realize that on the personal scale that I use, 5/5 represents the highest score possible, while 1/5 represents the lowest possible score possible. When I begin a new book, film, TV episode or video game, they all begin with a default score of 3/5.
That's seems pretty limited.
As does your initial understanding of my scoring system. However, I'm sure that's simply because you're unfamiliar with it.

In any case, it doesn't matter. I was simply making the point that while I personally use a different scoring system, it would be quite easy to adapt it to a different style of scoring. That way, everyone should be satisfied with the outcome - fingers crossed.

Cheers, mate. :emoji_relaxed:

ant-mac

I agree with almost everything, so I give your post a 9.5! Or, in your scale, 4.75!
Thank you.

However, I only ever use whole numbers when I'm scoring. :emoji_wink:
Seriously now. There is a historical context for our system, since it's been used for about nine years, and I think our friends started before grading with 1 to 5 stars became so popular. So it's been kept for nostalgia sake.
Oh, I have no issues with your particular scoring system.

In fact, I previously made the observation that the scoring system I use could be easily adapted to fit a different scoring system, so that everyone was hopefully satisfied with the result.
But later we might update that.
It certainly never hurts to review your habits and practises, regardless of what decision you end up reaching. :emoji_relaxed:

ant-mac

if you're just guessing and have no idea what i'm talking about then shut the f.uck up you f.ucking retard
I don't know who you think you are, or where you think you are - and quite frankly, I don't care. We have a CODE OF CONDUCT on this internet forum and all members are expected to abide by it.

You are in violation of rule two and rule three.

02. Please conduct yourself in a civilized and reasonable manner on this forum and abide by the decisions of all staff members at all times. Please treat all other members in a civilized and respectful manner. All members should promote harmony on this forum. Do not disrupt the normal and orderly operation of this forum in any way. Doing so may result in temporary suspension or permanent expulsion.

03. Do not post abusive and / or insulting messages on this forum. Foul language is permitted on this forum, provided it is not directed towards another member in the form of a personal attack. Do not bully and / or troll other members of this forum. Doing so may result in temporary suspension or permanent expulsion.

Therefore, you are now banned from this thread until further notice and you have earned yourself a warning point. Further inappropriate behaviour will attract further punishment.

Please familiarize yourself with the CODE OF CONDUCT.

If you wish to discuss this matter further for any reason, please contact a staff member via the conversation function.

ant-mac

Well, that seems like a unnecessary dig at me.
Then you would be mistaken. It was not intended to be a dig at you at all. You did not include the second half of my initial statement on that subject, which was intended to convey my opinion that it was probably all no more than a simple misunderstanding of no consequence.

When you only concentrate on a partial segment of a statement, it can sometimes cause a misinterpretation or a misunderstanding to occur.
You're the one that posted that scale with that particular word usage.
Yes, I did. However, I'm not entirely sure if there is a significance that you associate with this. :emoji_confused:

On a platform where the primary form of communication is via plain text messaging, it is easy to misinterpret or misunderstand the intentions of others. Personally, I try to remember to use emoticons in an attempt to indicate my mood or intent, but I may not always be successful.
I'm reacting to what you wrote.
Likewise. :emoji_relaxed:
That's seems pretty limited.
There are some who might interpret that comment as a dig, but I have been on the internet long enough to realize how easy it is to make a mistake. If I'm ever in doubt about something, I try to ask questions to clarify the matter, rather than make assumptions.

All the best to you. :emoji_nerd: