Controversial The IMDF Conflict Zone!

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
For me, it depends upon the tradition.
True. But I think people tend to usually lean towards either being standard breakers or standard keepers in general. Anyway... Back to our situation, I'm aware that many of the things we've been doing are perhaps meaningless, but it's fun to keep them and that gives a sense of continuity. Sometimes, though, we come across a guy who is so full of ideas, and he wants to change just about everything. Every thing is questionable and everything therefore is questioned. It's an interesting insight on human behavior. And sometimes a stressing one.

But of course, a new forum, with new people is a game-changing situation. So anything can happen from now on. :emoji_fearful:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
@Mad-Pac - I think that is one of the major strengths of the internet. It brings you into contact with such a wide array of different people. Some will be quite similar to you, some will be quite different and some will be somewhere in between. However, if you're lucky, many of them will be quite interesting. It certainly gives you the chance to learn from them and vice versa. Of course, it may not always work out for the best, but that depends upon the individuals concerned.

Cheers, mate. :emoji_wink:

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
Fellow Sage(s) of the Single Season I present thee with the rankings for Twim Peaks (which may well be the last one I do):

Overall ranking for show (by averaging all episode rankings)
JohnQ – 8.00 (only for episode 1)
Cloister56* – 7.200
BobPeters61** – 7.087
Mad-pac – 6.400
Brimfin – 6.300
(* Disappeared after episode 10.)
(** Disappeared after episode 23.)

Highest–ranked episodes by individuals
Mad-pac – Zen, or the Skill to Catch a Killer, Arbitrary Law, Beyond Life and Death (9)
BobPeters61 – Dispute Between Brothers (9)
Cloister56 – Northwest Passage, Traces to Nowhere, Zen, or the Skill to Catch a Killer, The Last Evening, Coma (8)
Brimfin – The Last Evening, The Orchid’s Curse, Arbitrary Law, Slaves and Masters (8)
JohnQ – Northwest Passage (8)

Highest-ranked episodes by overall ranking
Arbitary Law (8.33)
Dispute Between Brothers, Beyond Life and Death (8.00)
The Last Evening (7.75)

Lowest-ranked episodes by individuals
Mad-pac – Wounds and Scars (4)
Brimfin – Laura’s Secret Diary (4)
Cloister56 – The One-Armed Man (5)
BobPeters61 – Rest in Pain, May the Giant Be With You, Drive with a Dead Girl, The Black Widow, Checkmate (6)

Lowest-ranked episodes by overall ratings
Wounds and Scars, Variations on Relations (5.00)
Laura’s Secret Diary (5.333)
Realization Time, On the Wings of Love (5.500)

Most consistently-ranked episodes
Northwest Passage (7,7,8.8,8)
Rest in Pain (6,6,6,7)
The Last Evening (7,8,8,8)
Demons, Drive With a Dead Girl (6,6,7)
Lonely Souls (6,7,7)
Arbitrary Law (8,8,9)
Checkmate (5,6,6)
Variations on Relations (5,5)

Least consistently-ranked episodes
Zen, or the Skill to Catch a Killer (5,7,8,9)
Realization Time (4,5,6,7)
Laura’s Secret Diary (4,5,7)
Masked Ball (5,7,8)

Average episode ranking overall: 6.638, 8th out of the 12 shows I ran the numbers on. Only the second show to have no episodes with a 10 (Invasion: Earth was the other, but that had only 6 episodes.)

1. Total Recall 2070 7.281
  2. Brimstone 7.280
  3. Caprica 7.238
  4. The Middleman 6.992
  5. UFO 6.812
  6. The Prisoner (1967) 6.800
  7. The Prisoner (2005) 6.771
  8. Twin Peaks 6.638
  9. Kolchak: The Night Stalker 6.597
  10. Planet of the Apes 6.546
  11. Invasion: Earth 6.375
  12. Earth 2 6.256

Mad-Pac

Hello. I'm back online. Due to technical problems in my phone line, I was offline on Friday and the weekend. Thank you for the nice numeric compilation. It certainly helps us put things in perspective. I have some catching up in general to do now, and in the next few days we can discuss our future...

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Hi there Mad Pac, yep me again. Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed my time in the Sages, and appreciated all your good work and Brimfin's too. You're right, Twin Peaks wasn't the best for the group, I watched it about five years ago, full of expectation, but gave up after 10 episodes. I thought it was pretty self indulgent, which is a shame because Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive are two of my favorite movies so I had high hopes of David Lynch.
I didn't participate this time because constantly negative reviews would be tedious.
Doctor Omega and myself have gone through all 52 episodes of Blakes7 and all 9 of Star Cops ( in the cult tv forum) we'd love to have you join in at your own pace, the threads are already there giving you a bit of a rest and there's quite a few of us B7 -ites that would join in.
Anyway that's up to you ,whatever you decide , good luck thanks again for your dedication to the group over the years.

ant-mac

Hi there Mad Pac, yep me again. Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed my time in the Sages, and appreciated all your good work and Brimfin's too. You're right, Twin Peaks wasn't the best for the group, I watched it about five years ago, full of expectation, but gave up after 10 episodes. I thought it was pretty self indulgent, which is a shame because Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive are two of my favorite movies so I had high hopes of David Lynch.
I didn't participate this time because constantly negative reviews would be tedious.
Doctor Omega and myself have gone through all 52 episodes of Blakes7 and all 9 of Star Cops ( in the cult tv forum) we'd love to have you join in at your own pace, the threads are already there giving you a bit of a rest and there's quite a few of us B7 -ites that would join in.
Anyway that's up to you ,whatever you decide , good luck thanks again for your dedication to the group over the years.

A watch through of BLAKE'S 7 is an excellent idea. Especially as all 52 episodes are currently available on YouTube.

However, as my avatar indicates, I might be slightly biased in my opinion. :emoji_wink:

Afterwards, it might also be worth watching STAR COPS and a few other British classics...

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, Blake's 7 is a good show to watch and analyse. Interesting characters, made between 1978 and 1981.

It has been described as a 52 chapter televisual novel, which I think is a fair description.

It has shaky moments, appallingly cheap moments, simply due to the conditions in which it was made.

But if one can look beyond those, there is much of interest to mine from it here.

There are astonishing plot twists, character moments and bold production decisions made as it goes along.

It has also been described as the "anti-Star trek". An Orwellian take on Rodenberry's vision.

All attempts to successfully reboot it have so far failed. And there have been quite a few.

It is also a show where you definitely need to avoid spoilers.

Should you wish to choose it as your next viewing,the show starts here....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/your-fight-against-the-federation-starts-here.3309/

Or, should you wish to have a short run on STAR COPS, (written and devised by BLAKE's script editor), which had a short one season run in 1987, that show starts here...

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/your-journey-into-star-cops-starts-here.581/

This one was an attempt to show everyday life on the moon and the lives and cases of the law enforcer who work there and, while not as successful or well known as Blake's 7 has become a bit of a sleeper cult hit over the years, with a following to this day and, only this year, an audio continuation.

michaellevenson

Knowing The Sages rules you could have regular votes on whether to continue or not, say after 10,20,30,and 40 episodes in case it's not for you.
Pity The Sages seem to be down to two, what happened I think is that when IMDB message board folded the members found various different sites so the break up of various little fan groups was inevitable. I believe this forum is the best , and by some distance......and long may it continue.

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Yes, Blake's 7 is a good show to watch and analyse. Interesting characters, made between 1978 and 1981.

It has been described as a 52 chapter televisual novel, which I think is a fair description.

It has shaky moments, appallingly cheap moments, simply due to the conditions in which it was made.

But if one can look beyond those, there is much of interest to mine from it here.

There are astonishing plot twists, character moments and bold production decisions made as it goes along.

It has also been described as the "anti-Star trek". An Orwellian take on Rodenberry's vision.

All attempts to successfully reboot it have so far failed. And there have been quite a few.

It is also a show where you definitely need to avoid spoilers.

Should you wish to choose it as your next viewing,the show starts here....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/your-fight-against-the-federation-starts-here.3309/

Or, should you wish to have a short run on STAR COPS, (written and devised by BLAKE's script editor), which had a short one season run in 1987, that show starts here...

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/your-journey-into-star-cops-starts-here.581/

This one was an attempt to show everyday life on the moon and the lives and cases of the law enforcer who work there and, while not as successful or well known as Blake's 7 has become a bit of a sleeper cult hit over the years, with a following to this day and, only this year, an audio continuation.
Looking forward immensely to the Star Cops audios, any details of when exactly? April was last I heard, from you Doctor Omega! I was surprised that David Calder and Trevor Cooper were in it but looking up their career details I discovered to my surprise they were both a lot younger than I supposed, in their 40's when they first did Star Cops.
Regarding this forum; what i like is that everyone is so engaging and polite, some other forums seem to have plenty of trolls and just rank foul language.

Mad-Pac

Hi. Nice to hear from you. I have no problems with self indulgence. To me what killed the show was the soap opera format.

First, nothing ever got concluded in one episode unless it was the end of some plot line, so I never had what to review until something actually happened.

Second, there were too much drama and too many corny and unconvincing romantic moments just like in a soap opera.

Another problem is that this wasn't a cancelled show as I'd thought. It stops in a cliffhanger than there's a movie, then another season or a sequel depending on who you ask.
Third, I thought this show would bring new people because of its cult status, but so much bad stuff happened that this became a moot point.

Mad-Pac

Thank you very much for the invitation. I'll consider that. Maybe Star Cops because it's short.

michaellevenson

Liking or not the theme tune is I'm sure dependant on your views on The Moody Blues. I'm OK with the song and with the musical score generally of the show which is unusual.
This you may not have heard before; the full studio recording of that song.

ant-mac

Liking or not the theme tune is I'm sure dependant on your views on The Moody Blues. I'm OK with the song and with the musical score generally of the show which is unusual.
This you may not have heard before; the full studio recording of that song.
I don't actually hate the song, I just don't think it fits in with the TV series.

I find it jars...

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
You are not alone, Ant-Mac. On the audio commentary for episode one, Chris Boucher grumbles throughout the opening that, while there is nothing wrong with it as a piece of music, he finds it simply inappropriate.

michaellevenson

I suppose the thought behind using that song was to tie in with what happens in episode 2, and Nathan's reaction to it. I'll say no more, spoiler!
Heywood 's rock score throughout the show was innovative.
I've just compared the title sequence with Moonbase 3. Very similar, must be deliberate.