Fun The Last Movie That You Watched?

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
The Mule (2018) - Based on a true story of a WWII vet who became the world's oldest drug mule in his 80s, Clint Eastwood directs and stars as a horticulturalist down on his luck and estranged from his family. He is approached to be a driver, and eventually becomes a valuable asset to the cartel, until the cartel is taken over by another person, and his ex-wife becomes ill. My son wanted to see this one, so I got to accompany him, and ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. 4/5

chainsaw_metal1

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) - A supernatural tale of a small town morgue owner and his son having to do an autopsy on the body of a young woman with no name, no apparent connection to the town, or signs of how she died. Overall, effectively creepy, an interesting premise as to how the woman came to be what she is, and good acting and directing. However, some cliches caused me to balk, like
a scene where the two believe they are being stalked by one of the corpses held in the morgue, and the father attacks it with an ax, only to find out he had just killed the son's girlfriend. I even sat there thinking over and over "it's the girlfriend, we've seen this a hundred times".
But even with moments like that don't detract too much from enjoying it.

What did annoy me, though, was that while I had intended to watch this anyway, I watched it tonight because my sister-in-law asked me to. She sent me a screenshot of a review where someone had claimed it to be the scariest film they had seen, and she wanted me to watch it and give her a report, to let her know if it was too scary to check out. I'm really getting tired of these "scariest movie I have ever seen" reviews, only to have a movie let me down. I guess either I'm too desensitized, or movies need to step it up. 4/5

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
“Scariest,” “Most romantic,” “Most devastating,” “Most shocking” - bah, I never believe that bullshit. Just tell me if it’s a good movie or not.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Well that’s good. I saw the live-action remake of Cinderella and I liked the cartoon much better. But they were two completely different movies! It would have been pointless to make the second one the same as the first, I suppose.

Did Dumbo get drunk?

chainsaw_metal1

I saw the live-action remake of Cinderella and I liked the cartoon much better.
The only one of the live-action remakes I have watched was Beauty and the Beast, and I rather enjoyed it. Part of that was that the cast was great (Luke Evans is my man-crush). I still think they could have done better with the Beast himself. Personally, I think that had this been done in the heyday of Rick Baker, he could have done a practical effect that would have looked much more convincing.

That being said, I still don't understand the idea behind remaking all of the classic movies. Using the classic stories to make entirely different movies, sure. But just using the original animated movie as your storyboard? Just unoriginal. I've pointed out many times that movie studios are a business, and exist to make money, and this is a way to make a quick buck by using source material that has a built-in audience. But even then, it seems like missed opportunities.

chainsaw_metal1

The Dirt (2019) - The Netflix original biopic based on the book of the same name chronicling the life of Motley Crue. This is the second time I've watched it since it was released last week, and it's definitely a fun watch if you're a Crue fan. It feels like it should have been a series, as the 1 hour 47 minute runtime causes there to be a lot that's left out. But even with there being so much missing, it's still entertaining, and it has a great soundtrack. 4/5 stars.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
Don's Party (Bruce Beresford, 1976) ... there was only one thing I could bear to watch tonight. The line "You shouldn't argue with people if you disagree with them" will resonate. Hopefully.

On a lighter note (and one that will probably only make sense to any Aussies on the forum), the original casting had Barry Crocker, Paul Hogan and Mike Willesee in the film!

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Don's Party (Bruce Beresford, 1976) ... there was only one thing I could bear to watch tonight. The line "You shouldn't argue with people if you disagree with them" will resonate. Hopefully.

On a lighter note (and one that will probably only make sense to any Aussies on the forum), the original casting had Barry Crocker, Paul Hogan and Mike Willesee in the film!
Good film...

And an apt choice for this evening.

And having Bazza McKenzie, Crocodile Dundee and the late Mike Willesee together in one film would've been... interesting. :emoji_wink:

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
together in one film would've been... interesting.
Particularly with including Hogan. The script was perfect for Graham Kennedy's television persona, Crocker would have been essentially reprising his Bazza MaKenzie role but deleting the parody element, and Willesee's combative interview technique at the time was perfect for the argumentative dentist prick.

But Paul Hogan? Accordingly to Phillip Adams in the DVD extras, he had lengthy discussions on whether it was a script that Hoges would be comfortable doing (with Paul talking about himself in the third person) before John Cornell stepped in and agreed that they would sign on, but only for a fee that was well in excess of the film's entire budget. Looking back, it's hard to say what impact the film would have had on the Hoges brand ... but maybe a decision to play Don would have resulted in a world without Crocodile Dundee.

chainsaw_metal1

Avengers: Endgame (2019) - Alright, kids, this is the one. We've been building up to it for 11 years, 21 movies, all culminating in what can only be described as a soggy dream come true for this nerd. There are heroes, and battles, and laughs, and tears, and so much comic book goodness jammed into one three hour nerdgasm. Visually it is just amazing. I will warn you, though, if you're not too well-versed in comic book lore, you might be put off by the pace of the first act of the film. And that's all I can say here without spoilers, but yes, I highly recommend it. 5 out of 5 talking raccoons.