Review The Munsters (1964)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
It is a shame that Fred Gwynne was never comfortable with the success of the Munsters, feeling that it limited his career and ability to get other roles. It is a sad fact that he would not answer fan mail about the show, putting it in the bin.

Batty

Member: Rank 1
It is a shame that Fred Gwynne was never comfortable with the success of the Munsters, feeling that it limited his career and ability to get other roles. It is a sad fact that he would not answer fan mail about the show, putting it in the bin.
Oh wow, didn't know that. :( That is a shame, it was a fun show that seemed like it'd be a blast to work on.

Doctor Omega

I think that they all had fun doing it at the time, but when you are losing roles afterwards because nobody can imagine you in any other role, I guess it gets some actors down. I think the Star Trek cast like Scotty and co. suffered from this too, until the movies came along of course.

When the Munsters Revenge tv movie came along in about 1981, Fred Gwynne was not interested at all and asked for a ridiculously high fee to put them off. To his surprise they accepted, so he did the tv movie.

All this is in an excellent book about the show that is the same book, by Stephen Cox, but has been issued under two different titles...

518mmyPiglL._SX387_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51iK6o2N4vL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Batty

Member: Rank 1
I think that they all had fun doing it at the time, but when you are losing roles afterwards because nobody can imagine you in any other role, I guess it gets some actors down.
I guess that's understandable from that point of view. Guess he played the role too well lol. That book looks interesting, will have to see if I can track it down.

Doctor Omega

A lot of people won't have seen the un-aired 13 minute colour pilot show that was made just to try and sell the idea to the network.

Lilly (Phoebe) is played by Joan Marshall in the pilot and Eddie by Happy Derman.

The series sold of course, but some recasting was required!

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
While I found THE ADDAMS FAMILY the superior show, I still love THE MUNSTERS. The series was just a lot of fun. Great writing, wonderfully acted, and the set looked awesome.

Doctor Omega

Seth Meyers Planning A “Munsters” Reboot

seth-meyers-planning-a-munsters-reboot-696x464.jpg

Seth Meyers’ Sethmaker Shoemeyers Productions is developing a reboot of “The Munsters” for Universal TV and NBC.

Jill Kargman (“Odd Man Out”) will write the pilot script and will executive produce the series which will adopt the old 1960s show’s half-hour comedy format.

The updated series will feature the family trying to stay true to themselves while living in the hipster haven of Brooklyn.

Bryan Fuller and Bryan Singer attempted an hourlong series reboot of the property back in 2012 that wasn’t picked up to pilot but did ultimately air as a Halloween special.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Seth Meyers Planning A “Munsters” Reboot

Seth Meyers’ Sethmaker Shoemeyers Productions is developing a reboot of “The Munsters” for Universal TV and NBC.

Jill Kargman (“Odd Man Out”) will write the pilot script and will executive produce the series which will adopt the old 1960s show’s half-hour comedy format.

The updated series will feature the family trying to stay true to themselves while living in the hipster haven of Brooklyn.

Bryan Fuller and Bryan Singer attempted an hourlong series reboot of the property back in 2012 that wasn’t picked up to pilot but did ultimately air as a Halloween special.
I'm not convinced that this isn't one of those shows that was just "right for the times". I have a suspicion that it won't catch people's imaginations in this era.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I'm not convinced that this isn't one of those shows that was just "right for the times". I have a suspicion that it won't catch people's imaginations in this era.
Unlike The Addams Family, which could be retooled for a new generation, this show is pretty much a product of its times. The monsters had become parodies of themselves, and had gained new fans due to Shock Theatre and other late night horror host shows. It was just taking them in a more humorous path, like the Abbott and Costello films, but more so. We saw what happened with the Munsters movies, and then with the remake series in the 80s (90s?). They weren't anywhere near as good as the original series, the original audience didn't like the changes, and the new audiences didn't get the humor behind it.