Review The Orville (2017)

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
I like this show. Hopefully they tighten up the writing, lots of goofs and contradictions. This isn't family guy, people like me notice when your distances and travel times don't jive with the speed of the ship; or your science is abysmally wrong.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Just watched episode 7 "Majority Rule" which I quite enjoyed. Like classic Trek it took a current social issue (social media) and explored it by landing on a planet ruled by it. An interesting look at the way the world seems to be heading as democracy gives way to populism.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I do have to wonder though if greedy or bitter Paramount might adopt a bullying legal position, given what they could magnify in a court of law as the similarities between the formats of Orville and Trek?

Could they win a case against the show, do you think? :emoji_confused:

Gavin

VIP
I do have to wonder though if greedy or bitter Paramount might adopt a bullying legal position, given what they could magnify in a court of law as the similarities between the formats of Orville and Trek?

Could they win a case against the show, do you think? :emoji_confused:
It looks like the Orville producers have been very careful in terms of their scripts to avoid anything that is an actual copyright breach. They're similar in format and style but there's nothing illegal about that. The only thing that makes this show "like" Star Trek is the tone and a range of fairly generic sci-fi concepts, none of which Star Trek created - eg FTL travel, unified Earth government/planetary alliance, space military/explorers. There are a lot of things that are clearly inspired by ST but I can't see anything that might get them in trouble. If there were I suspect there'd already be a court case in progress.

Gavin

VIP
I must say, I really enjoyed episode 8 "Into the Fold". I read the synopsis and expected it to be fairly predictable, and to a degree it was. Shades of "Gallileo 7" from TOS but differences too. There was a level of tension throughout the episode that I hadn't expected. Even though I expected a benign outcome, I still found myself on the edge of my seat at times. And it's great to see that the series is taking time to explore the characters and developing them as the show continues.

duzit

I like this show. I waited until I watched a few episodes to make my decision. I love the spaceship itself. It's a beautiful vessel. I enjoy the silly, funny dialog that catches you off guard sometimes. It is showing good character development, which makes me form a relationship with each crew member. In agreement with @Gavin, the last 2 episodes were excellent. I'm glad it has been renewed for a second season & look forward to watching it again. Thanks @Doctor Omega for all the updates.◆◆◆♡♡♡

Gavin

VIP
Episode 10 - Firestorm

Continuing the trend of "a day in the limelight" episodes for the crew, this one focused on Alara, giving her some great character development and an interesting back story (including a welcome guest appearance from Robert Picardo). It was genuinely creepy in places and I didn't see the reveal coming at all.

McQualude

I wish they had shown the other 2 episodes and overall I liked the season. The final episode was great. Still baffles me how much critics and bloggers seem to dislike the show. Not sure if they actually dislike it or are just seeking attention.

Doctor Omega

Seth MacFarlane says the confirmed second season of his sci-fi series “The Orville” is “going to be at least” fourteen episodes, up from the twelve of the first. The plan is also to lean on a heavier science fiction tone and pulling back a bit on comedy to broaden the appeal.
MacFarlane confirmed there’s no intention to do a full twenty-two episode season, saying: “I’d rather do fewer episodes and have them be better content-wise than do 22 and have them be filler.”

Doctor Omega

I have finally started to watch this show...

I love it!

It seems to me to have been a genuine Star Trek series cannily snuck into public view disguised as a comedy. (And while everybody was distracted by the build up to that DISCOVERY rubbish.)

A very canny move on the part of the creators.

I hope it has a long and successful run and that Paramount are left scratching their heads, looking at one another and saying "Duh.... What happened?" :emoji_alien:

Last edited:

McQualude

Too often when there are 20+ episodes, I'm left wishing there were less. 10-12 is about right. Really if they write for 15-20 and pare it down to 10-12, it's about right. Leave me wanting more.

Worse is when they write for 6 and stretch it to 10. There was some series about a virus epidemic and another about a girl and dad communicating through time over a ham radio; both were short season but still full of fluff.

Gavin

VIP
If you're writing a serialised story (as opposed to procedural shows which are far more episodic in nature) it's better to write your story and then work out how many episodes it needs rather than try to write to a specific number of episodes. I know that the studio executives don't think that way but it would make for far better quality shows. Even the Netflix Marvel shows at 13 episodes all had filler episodes and could easily have been cut down to 10 or 11 episodes without sacrificing any story or character development.

Gavin

VIP
Finally got around to watching the final episode of season 1 yesterday (don't judge me I've been busy). What a brilliant finish to the season. Can't wait for season 2.