Review The Predator (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
00.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

When a young boy accidentally triggers the universe's most lethal hunters' return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled science teacher can prevent the end of the human race.

Last edited:

Hux

Member: Rank 6
First one was so good because of its sheer simplicity.

The rest are a bit so so (quiet liked the last one with Adrian Brody).

There's a fan-made one set in medieval England on YouTube that's fairly watchable too.

Doctor Omega

The Alien Movies seem to be in flux, but THE PREDATOR has a new movie headed our way....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-predator-2018-feb-9th-2018.998/

Are you optimistic about this latest offering?

And not forgetting the following fan made offering.......

With thanks to Hux for pointing out the existence of this one! :emoji_alien:

PREDATOR: Dark Ages is a short fan film. Winner 'best fan film' at the Tri-Cities International Film Festival.

Set during the Crusades, the faith & fighting skills of a group of Templar Knights is put to the test when they encounter the Predator. Their battle is the thing Myths and Legends are born from.

Starring Adrian Bouchet, Amed Hashimi, Sabine Crossen, Ben loyd-Holmes, Jon Campling, Joe Egan and Philip Lane.

Written and directed by James Bushe.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

arlier came the news that “The Legend of Conan,” Arnold Schwarzenegger’s proposed return to the role that really kickstarted his career, has effectively been killed by the studio.

The man himself has also spoken today about revisiting another of his iconic 1980s roles this week – that of Dutch in “Predator”. Before Shane Black’s in the works “The Predator” reboot began production, there were rumors that the character would appear in some capacity in the film.

Once it began though, it was pretty clear Arnold was not involved. Speaking with Yahoo , the former Governor discussed the film and confirmed his character did have a part but he opted out of returning:

“They asked me, and I read it, and I didn’t like it – whatever they offered. So I’m not going to do that, no. Except if there’s a chance that they rewrite it, or make it a more significant role. But the way it is now, no, I won’t do that.”

AVP Galaxy says according to a leaked copy of the script, Schwarzenegger had a very short cameo in the film with a few lines. Could this be a case of the role simply not being big enough for the actor?

It is according to Black. Responding to a fan’s question on Twitter, Black says: “I spoke with him [Schwarzenegger], I think it was that he didn’t have enough to do. Enough presence in the film.”

Boyd Holbrook, Thomas Jane, Alfie Allen, Trevante Rhodes, Sterling K. Brown, Keegan-Michael Key, Olivia Munn, Edward James Olmos, and Jacob Tremblay star in the new “The Predator” which opens February 9th next year.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Sterling K. Brown Talks “The Predator” Tone

Emmy-winning “American Crime Story” actor Sterling K. Brown hops over onto the big screen early next year with his role in Shane Black’s “The Predator” which is currently filming in Vancouver.

Speaking with EW about his role this week, Brown says the tone of this likely R-rated film will be more akin to a typical darkly comic Shane Black film than some might expect:

“Shane has his whole take on it and it’s very different than the original ‘Predator’. It’s got a really wicked sense of humor to it, which I love about it. And it’s got a real camaraderie amongst the main characters that I think folks will be attracted to. That’s pretty much all I can say.

I’m a huge fan of Predator and, of course, everybody loves Jesse the Body [Ventura] and Arnold [Schwarzenegger] and Carl Weathers and Bill Duke. My friends at Stanford used to tease me – being the dark-skinned African-American man that I am – they’d say, ‘Yo, man, you’re going to start getting all [those] Bill Duke roles when you get older.’ And I was like, ‘I don’t look anything like Bill Duke, you guys can kiss my ass.’

So then I booked this movie and I told them and they’re like, ‘Dude, do you even realize that you’re now Bill Duke???’ And I had to go tell them to kiss my ass all over again.”

Boyd Holbrook, Olivia Munn, Trevante Rhodes, Keegan-Michael Key, Thomas Jane, Jacob Tremblay, Yvonne Strahovski, Alfie Allen and Edward James Olmos also star in the film which Black wrote with Fred Dekker and reportedly remains in the continuity of the first two movies rather than serving as a reboot. It opens February 9th next year.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Love the first film. The immediate sequel with Danny Glover is a fun watch, but felt like a departure from the original. We get this little jungle pic with a group of mercenaries fighting an alien, who is a lone hunter on Earth. The second gives us this blown-up mythos, with the Predators having been hunting on Earth for centuries. I never did watch any of the other films.

Doctor Omega

“The Predator” Spotted In New Set Photo

the-predator-spotted-in-new-set-photo.jpg

A new photo from the set of Shane Black’s currently filming “The Predator” has arrived showcasing a first look at the classic monster heading into battle.

Trevante Rhodes, Keegan-Michael Key and Thomas Jane can also be spotted in the photo taken from the set in Vancouver. The project, which aims for an R rating, reportedly remains in the continuity of the first two movies.

Boyd Holbrook, Olivia Munn, Jacob Tremblay, Yvonne Strahovski, Alfie Allen, Sterling K. Brown and Edward James Olmos co-star in the film which black co-wrote with Fred Dekker.

“The Predator” will be released in theaters on February 9th 2018.

Doctor Omega

Filming Wraps On Shane Black’s “Predator”

filming-wraps-on-shane-blacks-predator-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Shane Black has confirmed that “The Predator,” a new entry in and mini-reboot of the franchise that began with the original Arnold Schwarzenegger classic, has wrapped filming.

Shooting began under Black’s direction on February 20th in Vancouver and wrapped its fifteen-week shoot this week.

Black has said that he will now take a few weeks off to recharge before starting post-production. The film is currently targeting an August 2018 release.

Doctor Omega

How The New “Predator” Connects To “Predator 2”

how-the-new-predator-connects-to-predator-2-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Shane Black has been adamant that his upcoming “The Predator” film is NOT a reboot or remake of the iconic 1987 Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi classic.

Instead it’s a ‘restart’, a mini-reboot which is effectively a sequel within the same continuity even as it refreshes and updates the cast, style and tone (ala. “Jurassic World,” “Doctor Who”).

Today, one of the film’s stars has now revealed one direct connection to the franchise. Speaking with The Red Booth, actor Jake Busey (“Starship Troopers,” “Contact”) confirmed that in the new film he’s playing the son of U.S. Government Agent Peter Keyes.

Keyes was played by Busey’s real life father Gary Busey in 1990’s “Predator 2”. In that film Keyes was the head of the top-secret Other World Lifeforms Taskforce which set out to capture the creature which was hunting around downtown Los Angeles during a heatwave. The younger Busey says Black made it clear to him right away about the familial connection:

“Shane Black called me and he said ‘Hey, you wanna do this movie? We don’t have money for you but it’ll be a fun thing to come play and be your father’s son.’ And so as much as I have followed in my Dad’s footsteps career-wise, this is like really following in his footsteps by playing a character who is the son of the character he played. And I don’t think there would be any other forum where I would do that. I think this is the one thing.

We shot it up in Vancouver, and they were there doing it for about three or four months, but I was up there for three weeks. I play a scientist in the film, and I’m very excited about it. I think it’s going to be great. If you liked the very first movie a lot, you’ll really like this one. This one has a lot of essence of the first movie.”

Boyd Holbrook, Thomas Jane, Trevante Rhodes, Keegan Michael Key, Alfie Allen, Sterling K. Brown, Olivia Munn and Jacob Tremblay all star in the film which wrapped shooting earlier this month ahead of a planned August 3rd 2018 release.

Doctor Omega

Filmmaker Shane Black has been adamant that his upcoming “The Predator” film is NOT a reboot or remake of the iconic 1987 Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi classic.

Instead it’s a ‘restart’, a mini-reboot which is effectively a sequel within the same continuity even as it refreshes and updates the cast, style and tone (ala. “Jurassic World,” “Doctor Who”).

it refreshes and updates the cast, style and tone

Sounds like a remake pretending to be a sequel, to me.

Doctor Omega

Thomas Jane Drops “Predator” Story Details

thomas-jane-drops-predator-story-hints-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Shane Black’s upcoming “The Predator” has been described as an “unexpected and totally fresh” take on the franchise, an entry that serves as a sequel rather than a reboot but offers chance for newcomers to hop in with a story that seems to have a suburban setting.

Beyond the casting though, specifics of the plot have been kept under wraps. Today, actor Thomas Jane has shed further light on the backstory of the main characters in a Shadow Nation podcast interview. He confirms his character is one of a group of hospitalized war veterans who get dragged into the story:

“We play these veterans from like Afghanistan, Iraq war or whatever. But we’re all f—ing crazy so we go to the VA hospital to get our meds. We’re all like shellshocked, PTSD…soldiers.”

Things kick off when Boyd Holbrook’s character, another soldier, gets thrown into a hospital bus with them:

“He’s a guy they’ve actually marked to kill him because he’s seen a UFO, he’s seen the Predator ships come down so they lock him up and throw him in with us lunatics. They’re going to take that bus, drive it down to a ditch and shoot us all just to get rid of this one guy.

But, of course, we take the bus over and we’re all like ‘f— that man, let’s go kill these f—ing Predators ourselves’ and we’re just crazy enough to believe that this guy really did see a UFO and there’s these aliens out there.”

Trevante Rhodes, Alfie Allen, Olivia Munn, Keegan-Michael Key, Sterling K. Brown, Yvonne Strahovski, Jake Busey, Jacob Tremblay and Edward James Olmos co-star in the film which opens everywhere on August 3rd 2018.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I liked the first film a lot and the second one was good too! The AVPs were good and Predators was much of the same but not being a fan of the military as such I shall wait and see on this one...
JB

Doctor Omega

Olmos Teases Black’s “The Predator” As Funny

shane-black-teases-his-predator-reboot-696x464.jpg

“Battlestar Galactica” veteran Edward James Olmos, out doing press rounds for Pixar’s “Coco,” has spoken about his role in Shane Black’s “The Predator”. His co-star on the film, Thomas Jane, revealed some of the new film’s story details the other week.

Olmos’ comments seem to corroborate Jane’s information, and he talks more about the film’s tone which he says will be funnier than you’d expect this would be, thanks mostly to Black. He tells Cinema Blend:

“I haven’t seen any of it, but it’s gonna be funny. The kids in the thing. Yeah, the humor. Huge. Huge. I mean I was in shock, because, you know this is a really intense franchise, and it still is. Don’t get me wrong. You’re gonna be inside of it. But the characters are… what he did – Shane is an incredibly gifted writer, and he’s a great director, and so he ended up getting an incredible ensemble, and when I reached it they had already been filming for three months so they were a unit. So I jump in as the General and there were some moments where I just had to laugh in the scene and I couldn’t be laughing in the scene. ‘I’m sorry guys. Really, I’m sorry.'”

The previous “Predator” movies have all adopted an incredibly stern approach, though the original first film notably had character-based humor and scored good mileage out of its aggressively macho cast which included Black himself as the short-lived on screen comic relief.

As Jane said, the new sequel/refresh revolves around a group of “shell-shocked” soldiers and their larger than life personalities being played for laughs whenever appropriate. Olmos adds to that, saying how the ensemble pairs off into three groupings:

“Because Keegan (Michael Key) and Thomas Jane, they make… they’re paired off in groups of three groups. Six guys. The way they work, they were all post-traumatic stress disorder guys who were inside of an insane asylum. A mental hospital. Then they put the lead character in there to kind of make them disappear, because they want them kind of out of the picture. And so he gets involved and then boom, the world goes crazy and these kids are released. But out of a freaky incident with some of the Predators. It’s crazy. It’s so crazy. I’m excited for it, and I don’t know what’s gonna happen. I got a good feeling about it. I mean if it’s really funny, and yet deadly like Predator is.”

“The Predator” is currently targeting an August 3rd 2018 release.