Review The Sequel/Prequel Zone

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
you could theoretically start viewing with any random film in the series
My first introduction to the Apes films was a Saturday Morning double bill at the local cinema of ESCAPE and then PLANET OF THE APES, in that order.

I was able to make sense of it, sort of, and the fact that ESCAPE had flashback clips from the first film when Zira is drugged helped a bit.

Regardless of any confusion though, I was hooked from then on, but BENEATH is kind of my favourite, simply because of the audacity and bleak brutality of that ending - and coz the mutants have got such a macabre vibe to them.

But I love all the old five films. The newer attempts have not won my heart so much, despite any technical advances.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Yes, it would be hard to imagine a bleaker end to a film than the one BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES got...
In one of the countless billions of galaxies in the universe lies a medium-sized star. And one of its satellites, a green and insignificant planet, is now dead.
I love the original five films too.

However, I have also enjoyed every APES film since then. Even the 2001 film, which had an ending much closer to that of the original novel. The current film series is quite different from the original one, but still just as good in its own way. I also enjoy the many and varied nods to the past.

It pays its respects to those who came before, but then gets on with telling its own story in its own way.

Doctor Omega

jaws_the_revenge_1987_580x801_943190.jpg

Please list those sequels you dislike the most of all!

Or maybe you want to defend some universally loathed follow up?

Either way, here's the place to debate the quality of that second, third or twelfth part that followed on from that okay original.

Doctor Omega

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

An underrated gem....

And at least Carpenter was trying something different, with the idea being that each Halloween film would have a different - Michael Myers free - story.

The public decreed otherwise....

And I think that's a shame...

filmfan95

Member: Rank 3
Stuart Little 3 is a terrible movie.

I had the first two taped off TV when I was a little kid, and I loved them. Then Stuart Little 3 came out, and it was the most underwhelming movie I'd seen at the time. It doesn't have any of the charm of the first two movies. In fact, despite being the only installment with a G rating (whereas the first two installments received PG ratings because the villains say "damn" a few times), it has far more crude humor than either of the previous ones did, which I found very ironic. The crude humor is also offsetting from the very very clean non-offensive nature of the first two films.

Also, having re-watched the trailer after not setting eyes on this movie since my Junior High years (because I don't usually acknowledge that this movie exists), the animation is absolutely atrocious.