Review The STARGATE FRANCHISE!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
capture-doeocran-2015-04-27-ao-15-50-01.png

Stargate is a military science fiction and media franchise based on the film written by Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich.

The franchise is based on the idea of an alien Einstein–Rosen bridge device (the Stargate) that enables nearly instantaneous travel across the cosmos.

The franchise began with the film Stargate, released on October 28, 1994, by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Carolco, which grossed US$197 million worldwide.

In 1997, Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner created a television series titled Stargate SG-1 as a sequel to the film.

This show was joined by Stargate Atlantis in 2004, and a third spin-off series, Stargate Universe, in 2009.

Also consistent with the same story are a variety of books, video games and comic books, as well as the direct-to-DVD movies Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Continuum, which concluded the first television show after 10 seasons.

In 2011, Stargate Universe, the last Stargate program on television, ended its run and the franchise has been in limbo since.

Brad Wright announced that there were no more plans to continue the same story in further productions.

The predominant story arc thus ran for 17 years and includes 17 seasons (354 episodes) of programming.

However, a variety of other media either ignore this main story arc, or reset it, while maintaining essential elements that define the franchise (mainly, the inclusion of a Stargate device).

These include the 2002 animated series Stargate Infinity, and a possible new film series once again directed by Roland Emmerich, announced as being under consideration in 2014.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
The only Stargate TV series I really managed to get into and enjoy was Universe, which naturally enough, was the one to get cancelled.

Michael9

Member: Rank 1
Universe was, in my eyes, the weakest. It was "sold" as some sort of "big ship with secrets", and then went a completely different route, tried to be too much Battlestar Galactica. I could have lived with a darker sg series, but some of the episodes where just a no go. Later they even stopped searching trough the ship they couldn't control for a long time, instead went into unnecessary drama.

I'm a fan of Joseph Mallozzi, the showrunner, who now heads the slightly less bizarre campy Dark Matter series.

For the fans of Star Gate, they are now publishing semi-canon comics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stargate_comics

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Universe was, in my eyes, the weakest. It was "sold" as some sort of "big ship with secrets", and then went a completely different route, tried to be too much Battlestar Galactica. I could have lived with a darker sg series, but some of the episodes where just a no go. Later they even stopped searching trough the ship they couldn't control for a long time, instead went into unnecessary drama.

I'm a fan of Joseph Mallozzi, the showrunner, who now heads the slightly less bizarre campy Dark Matter series.

For the fans of Star Gate, they are now publishing semi-canon comics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stargate_comics
STARGATE: UNIVERSE was also just too different and unlike it's predecessors for my liking. There's a reason why those TV shows lasted so long and had a decent fan following.

By all mean introduce a new characters, new settings and a new storyline and so forth, but don't forget your source material and what has worked for you in the past.

duzit

I loved SG1, never missed an episode. Was very sad when it stopped. I liked all the characters & the actors that played them. Although, I must admit my fav was Richard Dean Anderson, as I followed him from "MacGyver". Wish they would air re-runs...

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I loved SG1, never missed an episode. Was very sad when it stopped. I liked all the characters & the actors that played them. Although, I must admit my fav was Richard Dean Anderson, as I followed him from "MacGyver". Wish they would air re-runs...
It took me a long time to get used to RDA in SG1.

How could Mac suddenly be so stupid...? And he used a gun! :emoji_astonished:

It was just wrong on so many levels. I stopped watching for a few years. When I came back to it, it didn't feel so weird anymore.

Gavin

VIP
STARGATE: UNIVERSE was also just too different and unlike it's predecessors for my liking.
I don't disagree. Probably why I liked that one despite not being a fan of the others. It's such a different series that I suspect it was originally pitched as a completely separate series and then "adapted" to the Stargate franchise as a marketing strategy. Not unlike Battlestar Galactica's "spin off" Caprica, which originally had nothing to do with BSG.