Review The Tsuranga Conundrum (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Episode Five: The Tsuranga Conundrum

“Risk to life: absolute.” Injured and stranded in the wilds of a far-flung galaxy, The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan must band together with a group of strangers to survive against one of the universe’s most deadly -- and unusual -- creatures.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I thought this episode was dreadful.

For a start, there was an air of seen it all before, retreading previous set ups. A race against time against a threat on a spaceship (Hello Chibnall's "42")

The pregnant man fell into the realm of sillyness for the sake of it. Not helped by the fact that the actor playing him could be any bloke down the pub. Ultimately the presentation of this idea was, I felt, stupid. Star Trek would have made some attempt to make him look as alien as his biology - or at least stuck a few wrinkles on the bridge of his nose and had him sound like he came from another planet. This guy just looked like someone off the street that had wandered onto the set and was told that he was an actor now and read those lines off the autocue. "Oh and by the way you can have babies."

Jodie continues to fail to convince me that she is a 2000 year old Time Lord/Lady. That accent is a constant reminder that she is from Yorkshire. Added to that, her habit of pulling comical, jaw-dropping facial expressions in reaction to things such as an eaten "sonic" is, to me, the mark of a lesser performer. I still maintain that she would make even a poor incarnation of Romana. As the Doctor, to my mind, she doesn't have a hope. I think her (somewhat self-conscious) breeziness in the role is amusing the general audience on a certain level - for now - but time, the great leveller, I suspect may be less kind regarding her tenure in the role.

The alien just reminded me of the cubes of fat from a Tennant episode (odd how I am starting to forget names and details of modern shows, but can still spout off minute details of the Classic Show. It, again, was simplistic. It's cute, but is deadly. Ho hum.

The General and her brother gave me a sense that they would be more comfortable in a high profile ITV drama as they were giving it their all with some profound acting and dramatic face offs in this rubbish.

The android bloke seemed a rip off of so many android characters we have seen, in a kind of diet coke way. He might have been interesting, but they just seemed to be saying "Shut up Wesley" to him a lot of the time, so we never got a chance to find out.

I also feel that, since Jodie is playing the breezy, breathless character all the time and never having a Troughton/Victoria TOMB OF THE CYBERMEN quiet moment to contrast with that - along with those stupid faces she is pulling - there is a real danger that quality guest actors and her very own companions are going to ultimately overshadow her with their gravitas and poignant, quiet moments, as the writers self-consciously give them all the good dramatic dialogue.

Ultimately I think this was one of the worst stories of all time.

I did read one comment that Anthony Stephen can rest quietly in his grave now that THE TWIN DILEMMA has a successor, which made me chuckle, but I don't think it's possible to ever steal that story's shameful crown. But I do think this was bad and - worse - a story that I suspect nobody will ever want to really watch again: a fate that I think will befall much of New Who as that great leveller of time takes effect in the decades to come.

A positive comment?

Segun Akinola continues to be a putting-Murray-Gold-to-shame genius as he papers over this shallow, ill thought out, generic nonsense with talent and dramatic tension.

I would not be surprised if this script is the one that gets him to take up one of those Hollywood offers that he simply must be getting.

Last edited:

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Yes the pregnant man is seriously WTF. The alien? Funny how cute it looked, in contrast to how dangerous it is. It’s nice that the Doctor figured out a nonviolent way to deal with it, though violence wouldn’t have worked anyway. Nice how she figured out there was no maliciousness behind its actions. The music was great. I know they’re exploring Ryan and Graham’s relationship and they’ll get chummy eventually, but I still feel like Ryan is kind of a brat. Yaz gets some screen time but I can’t get too much of a handle on her character, although her family was pretty sharply defined. Then again maybe it’s just too subtle for me.

It annoys me that they have to stick on an extra ten minutes at the end of every episode. I like to watch Family Guy afterwards (I know, it’s a dreadful show) and I miss ten minutes of it. The stories aren’t well served by those ten extra minutes - in fact the episodes tend to drag a little bit.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I dunno. I'm still enjoying the show, and I love Jodie in the role. May I ever be the voice of dissent in this fellowship.

I had no problem with the pregnant bloke, but yeah, he could have been aliened up a bit. The monster of the week was cute, but I couldn't help but think he was Stitch from Disney's Lilo & Stitch, a thought that was seconded by many on Tumblr. I liked the bit between the general and the Doctor when they mention reading about each other. Graham is still my favorite character this series. I dig both Yaz and Ryan, but they don't have much chemistry, so I hope they're not planning on a hookup at the end. I wouldn't buy it. I'm intrigued by the preview for next week's episode, and Yaz meeting her grandmother.

Also, I'm giving continued props to Chibs for being able to kill off characters, even if they're just secondary. Moffat must be pissing himself.