Review The Ultimate Foe (1986)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Putting aside the script, putting aside the chaos behind the scenes, over and above all that, I can;t get over how fat Colin has become by the time of the getting pulled into the sand scene. Maybe it was the camera angle, but he really seems to have piled on a shedload of weight.

Bonnie Langford has since said - in the JNT book - that there was terrible tension between Colin and JNT while she was there, but other than that, nothing has ever come out about the roots of that tension.

That must have been a heck of an awkward time when Colin went to work in panto with JNT pretty much immediately after the sacking. Again, according to the book, Colin was raging when he arrived at the start of panto rehearsals.

Which all goes to show that I find the behind the scenes dramas far more compelling that the muddled and convoluted conclusion that we got on the screen.

Pip and Jane I find intriguing as writers - and it is thanks to them that I widened my vocabulary, so I can't mock them too much. And they sure as heck came through with that brief that Saward spitefully left them to deal with.

At the end of the day, it might not be the greatest saga in the world, but TRIAL is a perfectly watchable curio. But it was trumpeted as being a great new rebirth for the show.

Which I don't think it was.

Doctor Omega

5964719176_fa3731e450.jpg

COLIN BAKER.....

“I couldn’t take (being sacked) in, it was such a shock. I’d fought so hard for the show, I was stunned. What I couldn’t accept is that Grade didn’t have the guts to tell me man-to-man. If I knew why I was sacked then I would feel better about it all. But I got fobbed off with excuses about Grade thinking three years as Dr. Who was long enough. The fact is I only made 26 episodes before he cancelled the show. When it started again there were only 14 episodes. Hardly a long run, is it? All I wanted was a proper explanation. Many people believe, as I do, that I have been treated shabbily.

“Grade didn’t want me to say I had been fired. My boss, Jonathan Powell, the Head of Series and Serials, said that the BBC would stand by any statement I made. He strongly suggested to me that I should claim to be leaving for personal reasons. They actually wanted me to come back and do four more episodes, just so I could be killed off and fit in with their plans! I told them what they could do with their offer.

“I’m by no means a rich man from ‘Doctor Who’ because they never repeated any of the shows I did. I earned around £1,000 an episode and I was paid by Australian and American television companies who bought the show. But all the promises of extra money from spin-offs didn’t really materialise. Only small amounts of money dribbled in. But I was happy in my job and I was convinced that I was a good Dr. Who – certainly on an equal footing with my predecessors. I would have liked to have carried on for a good few years, and I believe that’s what should have happened.

“How could they expect viewing figures to rise when (Trial of a Timelord) was slotted in at such a bad time? Even so, five million viewers isn’t so bad. The Wogan show doesn’t do much better than that, but you won’t find Grade moaning about a show that’s his brainchild. I have been overwhelmed by the support I have received from the viewers. Fans have made the job really worthwhile.

“I can honestly say that working on ‘Doctor Who’ was one of the happiest working experiences of my life. It was a fantastic team and there were always plenty of pranks. Once, when the production team discovered I was terrified of spiders, they set me up. I arrived in my dressing room to find they’d festooned the place with massive plastic spiders, even to the extent of filling the loo with them. There was never any bitchiness on the set – unlike a lot of BBC series.

“There have been times when I felt like just throwing everything in. I have considered selling up and moving to a little place in Cornwall. I wouldn’t mind running a corner shop and leading an ordinary life. I honestly do still dream that Grade will turn up on my doorstep and say it has all been a terrible mistake, but I realise that this will never happen now.”

Doctor Omega

hqdefault.jpg

Q: Looking at Colin Baker’s era, and the official story that the show was put on hiatus for 18 months because of the excessive violence in his first year, do you wish you could change the violence level, looking back at it?

A: Well I think I have to pick you up there and say I don’t think it’s ever been said that it was taken off for 18 months because it was too violent. I think the real reason was that they needed a certain amount of money by cancelling many programmes – ‘Doctor Who’ was one of them – to establish daytime television on the BBC, and it was an attempt to suddenly demand this money because the BBC wished to pull forward their launch date because the independent companies were pulling forward theirs. So there was a sudden and dramatic attempt to get this money by cancelling a lot of shows, and this was always the reason, or certainly the reason I was always given, as to why it was rested. As for Colin’s contribution, I actually think he got a tremendously raw deal, in that he did one season, then there was the hiatus, then we came back and there were only fourteen episodes and they were in a different format, and then the decision was made to move forward with a new Doctor. So Colin never got a chance to get his teeth into the part. I think most people would agree with me that the first season of virtually every Doctor is really a very tentative one, the actor trying desperately to find a way to play the part, which after all is veyr thinly sketched, and coming to terms with the amount of themselves that has to be injected into the portrayal. So I really feel that Colin, maybe, if there hadn’t been that hiatus, would have got into a slightly higher gear that would have allowed him to mature his portrayal.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Whatever the behind the scenes problems, nothing can excuse this farrago of nonsensical tosh.
The Time Lords destroy Earth to protect matrix secrets, so after the Doctor uncovers it, they engage the services of a vaguely defined version of the Doctor to hide this crime. So Doc #6 is put on trial and the evidence used to highlight the Doc's guilt is......the destruction of Earth. Yeah right lets get in out in the open, that'll keep it hidden. D'oh
Apparently the matrix which previously was defined as a mental landscape, now can be accessed by walking through a door. How much of the events seen are true or just the Valeyard's meddling is unclear, which undermines the whole shebang. I actually don't particularly blame Michael Grade for his unease. A new approach was definitely overdue, but Baker's sacking was unnecessary.

Doctor Omega

I picked up the three BIG FINISH stories of NIGHTMARE FAIR, MISSION TO MAGNUS and THE HOLLOWS OF TIME.

They are sometimes looked on as lost classics, but I am sure that both the Toymaker and the Ice Warriors would have been redesigned with all the messed-it-up clunkiness of WARRIORS OF THE DEEP and the "can't tuck my neck in" Sontarans in THE TWO DOCTORS. All the fan art shows them as they last appeared on Peladon and shows Mister Gough as he was in the original story.

I have tried listening to the three audios, but can't really get into any of them.

TRIAL was a perhaps even more feeble replacement though.

As you say, a new approach was needed, so I kind of wish both JNT and Saward had walked after Season 22 - and they have both indicated that they should have too, of course.

Doctor Omega

Last_adventure.jpg

BIG FINISH decided, of course, that Colin was going to get a far more appropriate send-off than he had done, and fans had to pay 25 quid for the honour of hearing it......

Doctor Who: The Last Adventure Tribute

During Big Finish Day 7 we caught up with the cast from the latest and final Doctor Who story in the Sixth Doctor's timeline. Colin Baker tells us all about the response he has had since the story was first announced and confirms this is not the end of old Sixie. We also chat with India Fisher and Lisa Greenwood about their time recording 'The Last Adventure'. Nick Briggs also give an exclusive on strawberry ice cream!

Last edited: