Review The X-Files (1993)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
15-UNDERRATED-XFILES-EPISODES.jpg

The X-Files is an American science fiction drama television series created by Chris Carter, which originally aired from September 10, 1993 to May 19, 2002 on Fox.

The program spanned nine seasons, included 202 episodes, and a feature film of the same name.

Later in 2008, a second film was made and preceded a tenth-season revival, which consisted of six episodes, in 2016.

The revival premiered on January 24, 2016. In April 2017, Fox officially announced that The X-Files would be returning for an eleventh season of ten episodes, which would air in the 2017–18 television season.

Doctor Omega

New “X-Files” To Boast More Standalones

new-xfiles-to-boast-more-standalones-696x464.jpg

FOX has confirmed that the upcoming second season of the revival of “The X-Files,” the show’s eleventh season overall, will only have two mythology episodes in its ten-episode run.

Just like the previous revival season, the show’s tenth overall, it will only be the season premiere and finale that will deal with the X-Files mythology directly.

The remainder of the season will be standalone episodes. Whereas the tenth season only boasted four of these, the upcoming eleventh will have eight.

David Madden, President of Fox Broadcasting, confirmed the news at the Television Critics Association today and added that the mythology episodes will be “much simpler than last season”. The writers room has also added two female writers and two female directors.

CEO of Fox Television Group Dana Walden adds: “Everyone’s seen the first script and it’s excellent, so I think it’s a very good starting place for the show and we’re excited about the next season.”

The news comes as the first season of the revival was met with a mixed reaction, though the standalone episodes not penned by series creator Chris Carter garnered the best reviews and it sounds like we’ll be getting a lot more of those in the new run.

“The X-Files” returns to Fox in 2018.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
They need to do a lot of rewriting to turn that mess of a revival into something good again. What a disappointment that was. It's like Chris Carter forgot what he wrote in the past.

Doctor Omega

quick-news-x-files-cities-titans-time-thor-696x464.jpg

The X-Files
FOX has released the first photos from the upcoming eleventh season of “The X-Files,” the second since the series’ revival with this one running a longer ten-episode run in early 2018.

Mulder and Scully’s son William ‘will come to the fore’ in the new episodes, and fans wanting to see the pair patch up their relationship will “have something to look forward to” according to creator Chris Carter.

Doctor Omega

“X-Files” Creator Talks Scully’s Departure

More and more it looks like the upcoming second season of the revived “The X-Files,” the shows eleventh season overall, could be its last.

In October Gillian Anderson indicated the new season would be her final outing in the role of Dana Scully and earlier this week confirmed to TV Insider her intention to move on. Now, creator Chris Carter has weighed in with the response to her comments.

Speaking with Collider, Carter was asked if he would ever consider doing another season without her and says pretty definitively:

“I wouldn’t. For me, The X-Files is Mulder and Scully. I think if it were without Scully, I wouldn’t do it. That’s not my X-Files.”

He also says even he’s unsure of where the franchise is going in the future, especially in the wake of the Disney-Fox acquisition:

“I certainly think there could be more X-Files, and I certainly think there could be another X-Files movie. Right now, 20th Century Fox has just been sold to Disney, so I think there are way too many question marks and no answers being provided to me about the future of the show.”

In a separate Reddit AMA he offered another response to doing the show without Anderson, saying:

“For me, the show has always been Mulder & Scully. So the idea of doing the show without her isn’t something I’ve ever had to consider. Was her character given a proper goodbye? I think you will want to sit down and watch the series finale very carefully.”

The new ten episode run of “The X-Files” kicks off tomorrow night, January 4th, on FOX.

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
We watched the S11 opener tonight, disappointing. It didn't feel like X-Files and Mulder didn't feel like Mulder. Skinner was given lines that would have been classic Mulder (Morse code scene) to justify Skinner being there. The Smoking Man was in your face trying to be the coolest guy in the room and motivation for his twisty mustache evil villain plan don't make any sense. Then there was the weird twist with Scully's kid. On top of that, it was bad television: over produced, too much forced drama, and not enough story. Honestly I'm very unhappy about it.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Couldn't find a thread for this show on this forum. Surely someone mentioned it someplace , but I can't find it.
Here we are then.
Top ten episodes are always pretty subjective, here is a top ten list , I'd agree with some of them but not all.

Doctor Omega

There was a thread Michael, but it was buried down in the Current Shows forum. Have merged it with yours, if that's okay, and moved it to CULT, (where it belongs really) :emoji_alien:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Wonder when it's coming to us here in the UK? Plus Scully and Mulder took a back seat to Robert Patrick as John Doggit and Monica Reyes in the final two seasons of the show anyways!
JB

johnnybear

This weeks episode of the X-Files was a mixed bag! Virtually no guest actors and a story that required little talking! Plus did it really happen or was it just to show the evils of us relying upon machines for our comfort and safety and whole way of life in the future or what?
JB

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
The season has been really weird with every episode a standalone and no cohesive storyline. Some of the episodes are brilliant and some mediocre. I wish there had been a season story arc though. My DVR died with the last 3 episodes on it so I have to try and watch them on demand.

johnnybear

Why oh why was the first and last episodes of this season separated by eight other shows? I wondered way back in February when part one ended and the next one dealt with something completely different! Admitted it was better, because when X-Files deals with alien invasions and alien genetic hybrids it goes off on a tangent that only a few of us can follow! The penultimate episode was a weird one though! That guy stitched onto those girls and the actress who never aged who revealed her identity to Mulder and Scully too easily for someone trying to keep her near immortality a secret!
JB

Doctor Omega

announcement-sign-character-means-corporate-communication-or-con-100259696.jpg

No More “X-Files”

FOX chairman Gary Newman says the network has no plans to do any more episodes of “The X-Files”. Speaking today, he says: “Its been a great show for the network but there are no plans to do another season at the moment.”