Hux

Member: Rank 6
TV show looks really interesting. I'm hoping the Jack the Ripper stuff is just a way to introduce the premise (as seen in the film) but it moves on to other time travel shenanigans after that. Then again, he might end up being a recurring villain that they use for filler episodes.

Are you watching Timeless? Kinda repetitive but fun.

Hux

Wow! Never heard of that one. It looks good! Will be checking it out. Thanks for the heads up! :emoji_alien:
The one thing Timeless has got going for it is the fact that they change history each week without worrying too much about the consequences. Most time travel narratives are about avoiding changing things but this shows says... meh, what does it matter if it's only a slight change.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I love this movie. Malcom McDowell is very endearing in this.
I dont know what to think about the tv show, but Im definitely going to try it.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
The one thing Timeless has got going for it is the fact that they change history each week without worrying too much about the consequences. Most time travel narratives are about avoiding changing things but this shows says... meh, what does it matter if it's only a slight change.
It seems to be an increasing concern in the story arc (people's fears of family members disappearing) - and I was a bit put out when Bonnie and Clyde died in alternative circumstances - what about the film? Would it have ceased to exist? It could all be building to a series finale when the bosses all say - perhaps when we said "meh" we didn't cover all our arses?

Hux

In reality, the changes would be massive but the show suggests they're negligible. The sister disappeared too quickly for the audience to really care about her (and the character herself seems equally unconcerned). At some point, we'll probably see some episodes where there's a huge change but then they fix it a week later like it never happened.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
But I do like the fact that our baddie (of unspecified but approximately Eastern European origins - unless I missed something), considerately only takes the story back to where their American accents will fit in. Good fun - but without a proper Babel fish for all or Tardis translation facilities they're going to run out of options quite soon.

Hux

How hard is it to whip up a translating device?

Character A: Our top scientist's have created these translation chips. Once they're under your skin, all languages will sound like English.
Character B: Thanks. That will make things easier.

It worked for Star trek.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
David Warner and Malcolm McDowell dialogue in Time after Time (1979)

Dialogue in the movie Time After Time. The dialogue is between Herbert Wells and his old friend John Stevenson. They have traveled to the future that, as it turns out, isn't as utopian as Wells had thought.