Review Time Travel Films

Hux

Member: Rank 6

Best? Worst?

Hidden gems?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primeris still the bench mark for me. I enjoyed Triangle
quite a lot. Looper was a decent big budget attempt.

Predestination was good stuff.

Then there's the classics like Back to the Future.

My hidden gem is a Spanish film called TimeCrimes (the YouTube trailer completely spoils it so I won't link to it)

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Time after Time (1979)

and I also quite like "Running Against Time", a tv movie with Catherine Hicks and Robert Hays.

duzit

Somewhere In Time (1980) starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour
A Chicago playwright uses self-hypnosis to travel back in time and meet the actress whose vintage portrait hangs in a grand hotel.

duzit

I still didn't watched Primer... should I watch it ?. I did tried but it was confusing as hell.
I don't watch many time travel films because most of the time I find the story lines difficult to follow. I'm a (TV) Flash fan, but I had to give it up. They had so many back in time and then went to the future to fix what got messed up when they went back and so on and so forth, I just stopped warching...:emoji_purple_heart:

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
Best? Worst?
My hidden gem is a Spanish film called TimeCrimes (the YouTube trailer completely spoils it so I won't link to it)
Yes, good movie.

I really like the Bill and Ted movies. They are good fun.
I also really enjoyed Midnight in Paris and Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel.

One of the worst is Time Chasers.

Hux

I still didn't watched Primer... should I watch it ?. I did tried but it was confusing as hell.
It's tricky to follow because they wanted to make sure the whole time travel aspect made sense. I'd recommend Triangle as a good, complicated time travel film (but not quite as complicated).

Yes, good movie.

I really like the Bill and Ted movies. They are good fun.
I hope the third one happens.

Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel.
I absolutely love that movie.

elanor

Member: Rank 3
Best? Worst?

Hidden gems?
I like time travel stories (except the Back to the Future films). I think you want to know only about the sci-fi ones.

Somewhat surprising for me was that I liked the first in my list
Edge of Tomorrow (2014) I didn't expect that it would work for me.
Interstellar (2014) just well made time travel
Galaxy Quest (1999) a lot of fun for me, I didn't realise that this files as time travel, for me it's just sci-fi comedy
2009: Lost Memories (2002) this one has a low metascore IMDb, but I like it (if it had a higher IMDb rating it would be a hidden gem, as it is only a favourite of myself, the classification "hidden gem" is doubtful)

Contact (1997) one of my favourite films depicting science as I experienced it, often laborious and sometimes exhilarating

Next rung:
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006)
Twelve Monkeys (1995)
Source Code (2011)
Donnie Darko (2001)

The one I liked the least:
The Philadelphia Experiment (1984)

Of those I've seen the lowest IMDb rating
Timeline (2003)

I like the film somewhat better than IMDb, and a lot more than The Philadelphia Experiment.

Time travel films with less than 5000 ratings at IMDb:
The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya
(2010) IMDb rating 8.1
The Iceman Cometh (1989)

Izo (2004)
2009: Lost Memories (2002)

I unsuccessfully tried to change the red of the links to black. Sorry for the red letters.

elanor

Member: Rank 3
Primeris still the bench mark for me. I enjoyed Triangle
quite a lot. Looper was a decent big budget attempt.

Predestination was good stuff.

Then there's the classics like Back to the Future.
Primer looks good. I've put it on my watchlist.
Triangle I have also not seen, it reminds me of Sphere (1998), not my kind of film.
Looper (2012) was only an OK film for me.
The Predestination trailer doesn't lure me.
And the Back to the Future are just not my kind of films, too over-the-top in a very vexing way

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Favourite time travel film.....

STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME

And I still wonder to this day how Shatner kept his toupee on underwater?

Least Favourite

STAR TREK (2009)

Coz it messed the timeline up and kinda negated Next Gen etc. :emoji_confused: