German video game developer Daedalic Entertainment has unveiled “Lord of the Rings: Gollum,” an action-adventure game following the years of the popular J.R.R. Tolkien-created character in the wake of his acquisition of the One Ring and before he meets Bilbo Baggins in “The Hobbit”.
Daedalic’s CEO Carsten Fichtelmann says the goal is to present something more story-orientated than other ‘Rings’ games in recent years like the ‘Shadow Of’ titles: “You already have that big conflict in the character, two voices talking to you continuously, which means there is a good reason there are decisions to make in the game: the Smeagol decisions or the Gollum decision.”
Daedalic partnered with Middle-earth Enterprises to develop and publish the new game, which is slated for release in 2021 on PC and ‘all relevant console platforms at that time’. That will also coincide with the planned premiere of Amazon’s “Lord of the Rings” TV series which is currently in development.
Plans for further games in the future are in the works.
Gollum was once a Hobbit before he was ensnared by the power of the ring. Now his only reason for living is to reclaim his "precious".
1. The Hobbit (1977)
2. The Lord of the Rings (1978)
3. The Return of the King (1980)
4. The Fairytale Journey of Mr. Bilbo Baggins, The Hobbit (1985)
5. Hobitit (1993)
6. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
7. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
8. MTV Movie Awards (2003)
9. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
10. The Hunt for Gollum (2009)
11. Robot Chicken (2012)
12. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
13. MAD (2013)