Review Twin Peaks (1990)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
twin-peaks-03.w710.h473.2x-e1495495105526-810x405.jpg

Twin Peaks is an American serial drama television series created by Mark Frost and David Lynch that premiered on April 8, 1990, on ABC.

It was one of the top-rated series of 1990, but declining ratings led to its cancellation after its second season in 1991.

It nonetheless gained a cult following and has been referenced in a wide variety of media.

In subsequent years, Twin Peaks is widely regarded as one of the greatest television series of all time.

The series follows an investigation headed by FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) into the murder of homecoming queen Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee) in the fictional town of Twin Peaks, Washington.

The narrative draws on elements of crime drama, but its uncanny tone, supernatural elements, and campy, melodramatic portrayal of eccentric characters also draw on American soap operas and horror tropes.

Like much of Lynch's work, it is distinguished by surrealism and offbeat humor, as well as distinctive cinematography.

The show's acclaimed score was composed by Angelo Badalamenti in collaboration with Lynch.

Twin Peaks was followed by a 1992 feature film, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, that serves as a prequel to the television series.

In October 2014, Showtime announced that the series would return as a limited series, which premiered on May 21, 2017.

The limited series is written by Lynch and Frost and directed by Lynch.

Many original cast members, including MacLachlan, have returned.

This current series, also known as Twin Peaks: The Return, is a continuation of the 1990–1991 ABC series of the same name.

The limited series event will consist of 18 episodes and premiered on Showtime on May 21, 2017.

The series had its world premiere on May 19, 2017, at the Theater at Ace Hotel in Los Angeles.

The series was developed and written by Lynch and Frost over a number of years, and directed in its entirety by Lynch.

Many original cast members return, including Kyle MacLachlan as FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper, and new cast members are introduced, including Laura Dern, Naomi Watts, Michael Cera, Jim Belushi and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Prior to the premiere, little was known regarding the plot of the new series, but Showtime president David Nevins stated that "the core of it is Agent Cooper's odyssey back to Twin Peaks".

Last edited:

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I adore this show.
Its return has been amazing. Its much more Lynchian than the first two seasons.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
David Lynch On The Death Of Arthouse Films

david-lynch-on-the-death-of-arthouse-film-696x464.jpg

Despite making films and TV series that are not just hard to categorise but almost impossible to properly interpret, filmmaker David Lynch is someone who also has firm views when it comes to art.

The celebrated auteur is currently enjoying the success of the launch of the “Twin Peaks” revival, his first directing effort in a decade and one where he had full autonomy to do pretty much whatever he wanted. The result has been lauded all over and seen far more than his last film “Inland Empire”.

Speaking with Arab News (via The Playlist recently, he has been talking up the joys of working on cable TV and has espoused an increasingly common viewpoint – that the freedom of TV is where challenging and rich narratives are at these days:

“I think feature films are in trouble and the arthouses are dead. So, cable television being the place for continuing story told with freedom is a beautiful thing.”

The reporter asked why he thinks arthouses are dying to which Lynch says: “Not dying. Dead” and he later admits he doesn’t see anything at the cinema these days.

It’s certainly true that the kind of filmmaking Lynch is renowned for is rarely seen outside of film festivals anymore and is often tucked away deep into the catalogue on a streaming service.

New Lynch will still be available for some time yet as fourteen more episodes of the new season of “Twin Peaks” will be airing over the next three months on Showtime.

CarlCarlson

Member: Rank 1
I didn't catch the first and second season of Twin Peaks, but, did see and really loved FWWM and most of his other films. So, far Season 3 started out slow, but, this Dougie thing is getting old quick and, IMO, it seems like Lynch may be relying too heavily on style as there isn't much substance.

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
Attention "Twin Peaks" board - Starting ep. 01 next June 16th

Greetings, "Twin Peaks" board. My friends and I are a small group of folks (which used to be much bigger, actually) that like to watch old, preferably cancelled, one-season shows from the beginning and working all the way through to the end. We watch one show a week on Friday and then discuss over the next few days. Anyone here who is interested, we would love to have more people commenting on the episodes with us.

We had been thinking of including “Twin Peaks” for a long time, long before the “2017 Limited Event Series” came up, and only now we got the chance to do it. What we do is post an entry for each episode every Friday, and then make a small review of, grade it and make comments about the comments. And we’d be honored if you joined us.

By the way, can you believe we actually have no idea who killed Laura Palmer? Well, that’s so. Because of this, we ask you not to post any spoilers about future episodes on the conversation about that week’s current episode. You can say anything you want and know about that episode and the ones before it. Just pretend, as some of us do, that you’re watching the show for the first time.

I know this is hard sometimes. On one board, I remember a fellow who was very excited about the show we’re going through, but he could only make comments such as, “ha, wait until they do this and that,” or “the show gets much better soon because they will…” or “in fact this little action has a much bigger meaning, as you’ll find out on episode #...”. And another one even said, “in episode #... we’ll finally learn if the aliens have a base on earth or not”, which made me sure, from that the point on, that the aliens had a base on Earth. But, if an accident happens, well, we’ll have to learn to live with that.

Back to the main issue, we will start episode 1 on Friday, June 16th, 2017. We have never failed to finish a show. We have a long history as a group. Not here, but on the late IMDb message boards, a previous iteration having started around 2008. The previous shows different generations have covered are:

The Time Tunnel (1966)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974)
Night Gallery Season 1 (1969)
Voyagers! (1982)
The Lone Gunmen (2001)
Wonderfalls (2004)
Tales of the Gold Monkey (1982)
Firefly (2002)
Odyssey 5 (2002)
Pushing Daisies (2007)
God, the Devil and Bob (2000)
Day Break (2006)
Dark Skies (1996)
Brimstone (1998)
The Middleman (2008)
Caprica (2009)
Invasion: Earth (1998)
Planet of the Apes (1974)
The Prisoner (1967)
The Prisoner (2009)
Total Recall 2070 (1999)
Earth 2 (1994)
UFO (1970)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974)

Come and join us and let's have some fun. Word of caution though, we can be pretty harsh in some of our criticism of these shows and have ruffled feathers of some pre-existing board members in the past. We mean no harm just calling it the way we see it, we also tend to disagree with each other on whether it's a good episode or not. And we may also introduce a great deal of off-topic conversation, being a group based on the free exchange of ideas.

Anyway, looking forward to episode 1 to see what we have gotten ourselves into this time. See you on the 16th.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
Hello, cool we've found another place. Shame about tmdb. Sounds like the guy who runs the place is away at the moment from looking on some forums.
Nice to ditch the markup language

Mad-Pac

Hello, cool we've found another place. (...)
Nice to ditch the markup language
This place here is excellent! It has many features we didn't have in the other forums. And we can also rank the episodes with new "like", "dislike", "agree", etc, buttons. That's going to be a real asset.

TheSowIsMine

VIP
I didn't catch the first and second season of Twin Peaks, but, did see and really loved FWWM and most of his other films. So, far Season 3 started out slow, but, this Dougie thing is getting old quick and, IMO, it seems like Lynch may be relying too heavily on style as there isn't much substance.
Thats a whole lot of information and backstory you are missing.

Anyway, great new episode. Its good Coops love for coffee hasn't vanished after 25 years in the black lodge :)

Carol

Bring on the cherry pies - one to eat NOW, one to hand for throwing at the first sighting of Bob...

Mad-Pac

Thanks for reaching out to me, Mad-Pac. I was wondering how I might follow the group to a new home.
You're welcome! I was surprised nobody else took the time to contact you, since I'm persona non grata :emoji_poop: in that other place...
Well, I hope you're ready for the 16th.

TheSowIsMine

VIP
This place here is excellent! It has many features we didn't have in the other forums. And we can also rank the episodes with new "like", "dislike", "agree", etc, buttons. That's going to be a real asset.
Just a warning, when someone dislikes your post, it will give you a negative rating. So I wouldn't use it to rate episodes.
Anyway, Im awaiting your opinions on Twin Peaks.

TheSowIsMine

VIP
True, but I don't really think that would stop Mr Lynch - remember where Bob was last time we saw him?
They did a great job in the latest episode with their hints at Bob. They did a subtle face merge in a dark mirror reflection.
But yeah, Lynch is great at replacing actor in a creative way, he replaced Michael J. Anderson with a tree, and it works perfectly.
Its a shame Bowie died before filming. Nothing can replace him :(

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
Thanks for reaching out to me, Mad-Pac. I was wondering how I might follow the group to a new home.
I did post on TMDB on my thread on the Kolchak forum, though I did get it a bit wrong. I said IMDB forums com (was a bit worried a direct link might get my account banned, thus wiping out the message.
I would have replied back if you hadn't been able to find us. Leave no sage behind :)

Mad-Pac

Just a warning, when someone dislikes your post, it will give you a negative rating. So I wouldn't use it to rate episodes.
Anyway, Im awaiting your opinions on Twin Peaks.
OK, OK... Good to know. Because was exactly what I was planning to do. :emoji_scream: I wonder what happens then if you get a negative rating.

Good point, Sow.

Attaching a poll to a thread might be a better option.
Excellent idea. I'll check to see how that works.