Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I think that the problem I had with the switch to a weekly series was that THE FINAL BATTLE had ended seemingly very conclusively.

Humanity had prevailed and won.

Suddenly the victory was sort of ignored and the battle was back on.

It felt contrived and like a cheat - and was clearly done only to keep the series going on rather pointlessly, without building on the foundations of the series in any interesting or expansive ways at all.

It really was not thought through very well at all in my opinion.

The lack of treatment on the alien voices also screamed "cheap".

A shame really, as they could have taken the show in a far more imaginative direction than they did.

Having said that, I am not sure what that direction could have been.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I felt the same, Doc! The battle had been won and humanity were the victors but by bringing in a new weekly series that would have to be looked at and although it was clever how they got around it the show still was bad! The third episode introduced us to a Visitor slave camp and new characters who for some strange reason re-meet the regulars the following week without any recognition or explanation! (I think I've read that the third episode was shot a long time after and added to the series to build up the numbers) The show plodded on with similar stuff until it hit the Diana/Charles fiasco which was ridiculous (and I have to admit that I didn't get the connection until long after) but bringing back Frank Ashmore as his own brother was a weak idea even though he was a likable character as Martin and equally good as Philip! Philip Martin anyone? But the end of the series was either a big cop out or a set of writers unsure about what they were doing or whether they were going to renewed in 85? Why was the leader a glowing orb with the image of a Cobra in the distance too? Surely he should have looked just like them only nuttier?
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
bringing back Frank Ashmore as his own brother was a weak idea

Yes, I agree.

I remember being shocked when one of the likeable regulars was zapped out of existence by a laser cannon during one episode and the whole Star Child thing just seemed ridiculous. Growing to adulthood quickly, all that nonsense. And something about her having a special destiny (if memory serves)?

Were the writers on drugs? :emoji_confused: