Review Venom (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
There’s Confusion Over “Venom” Rating

theres-confusion-over-venom-rating.jpg

The other week the MPAA handed down a PG-13 rating for “Venom,” the upcoming Tom Hardy-led film based on the Marvel Comics hero.

The rating wasn’t a huge surprise. Throughout production, it was assumed the film was shooting for an R-rating, with comments from the actors and director suggesting as much, but they also had to build in the option for a PG-13 version – even though it’s a film about a monster that tears limbs off and eats people with his giant teeth.

The film’s studio Sony Pictures have made it clear they want to launch their own mini-Marvel Universe and potentially get Spider-Man to crossover with Venom at some point in the future, something they couldn’t really do with an R-rated film. So the PG-13 was not unexpected, albeit disappointing – especially in this age when R-rated comic book movies like “Logan” and “Deadpool” have achieved such box-office success.

Thus we come to today and those doing the press for the film are offering conflicting stories about just how dark the film is supposed to be. On the one hand there’s Hardy himself who, whilst speaking with Comics Explained (via The Playlist) alongside his co-star Riz Ahmed, was asked what his favorite scene to film was.

His answer: “There’s things that aren’t in this movie. There are like 30 to 40 minutes worth of scenes that aren’t in this movie… Mad puppeteering scenes. Dark comedy scenes. You know what I mean? They just never made it.”

Ahmed then reportedly interjected with the joke, suggesting those scenes weren’t up to par with the rest of the production and adding: “I hate to break it to you” to which Hardy then alluded to the Sad Ben Affleck meme saying: “Is that ‘The Sound of Silence’ that plays on my face? ‘Hello darkness, my old friend.’ Thanks, bro.”

The comments follow on from similar comments from the film’s director Ruben Fleischer who hinted that there might be an unrated cut in some form out there. Was the original intention to do a full adult-oriented R-rated film and then studio mandates led to it being slightly neutered?

That’s not the case according to producer Avi Arad who tells ComicBook.com: “To me, R is not a consideration. Can you get away with not R so that other people can see? So that younger people can see? I made an animated show. There was a lot of Venom in there. It was in ’94. There’s no reason to put in violence. To define what Venom is as violence. He’s not. He’s the lethal protector, which is a very different thing. We want to be really true to the comics. Today, in CGI and stuff, we can make Venom bite your head. But we don’t have to show the head going side to side like, ‘that actually tastes good.’ It’s irrelevant. What’s relevant is that you finally understood, is that a bad guy? Yeah.”

Co-producer Matt Tolmach is an agreement with Arad: “There isn’t some phantom version of the movie. Everyone is asking us that. Is there an R-rated cut sitting there? There isn’t. We came into this production and the development of the movie wanting to make a movie that was true to Venom, true to the comics, and true to the character, but at the same time is a movie that 13-year-olds, 14-year-olds can see. We had to push right up against it. We’re 15+ in England. It’s not like we just wanted to make a family film. We wanted to push it as hard as we could, but also to make it accessible. That was always the goal.”

Both producers are now moving forward on their “Spider-Man” spin-off universe plans, confirming to the same outlet that the Jared Leto-led “Morbius the Living Vampire” film is next up for them and seemingly taking precedence over the “Silver and Black” film that previously seemed to be the next cab off the rank. “Venom” hits theaters on October 5th.

Doctor Omega

“Venom” Headed For An $80M Opening

It is proving to be a giant weekend at the box-office with the Tom Hardy-led “Venom” film set to defy expectations and open to an estimated $80 million. That’s $20 million above what the studio was estimating this past week and a new opening weekend record for October

The film earned $32.75 million on Friday alone, with a B+ CinemaScore and an awful Rotten Tomatoes critics score of 31% (but an audience score of 89%).

There was room enough for another hit though with the Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper-led “A Star Is Born” also beating initial forecasts and is headed for a $42 million opening. It landed a 91% certified fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and an A CinemaScore.

Both took the top spots, pushing “Smallfoot” to third with $14 million, and “Night School” to fourth with $12 million. Both “The Hate U Give” and “Loving Pablo” premiered in limited release, the former doing quite well while the later bombed on impact.

Doctor Omega

“Venom” Director Talks THAT Plot Hole

venom-marketing-hes-the-best-boyfriend-696x464.jpg

The “Spider-Man” spin-off “Venom” continues robust mid-week business and should score big numbers for its second weekend, even as reviews remain fairly tepid. One common complaint is the film’s convoluted plot, one which has some dead ends and plot holes including one big one – the villain symbiote Riot.

SPOILERS AHEAD

In “Venom,” Riot is an evil symbiote who goes through several bodies before landing in an old lady in Malaysia. The film then jumps six months forward and when we see Riot again he’s still in the same old lady and still in Malaysia when he then chooses to transfer into a little girl and make his way to the States.

So what the hell was he doing in Malaysia for six months? Speaking with Gamespotthis week, director Ruben Fleischer was asked that question specifically:

“Yeah, that’s a good question. That’s one of our few – hopefully few – logic bumps. But we had to have a passage of time in order to show Eddie’s downfall, and that was the one thing that doesn’t entirely track.

But I like to think that old lady was going around murdering all throughout Malaysia, and she was just having a good old time just shooting shards through different people in Malaysia…

Our idea was that Riot was using up the life force of whoever he took, and then he jumped ship when he’d consumed them and then find a new host to carry him further on his journey.”

Asked if Riot could have been hibernating, Fleischer says: “Yeah, I mean, who’s to know?”.

“Venom” is now in cinemas everywhere.

Doctor Omega

McFarlane: “Venom” Pans Due To ‘Ageing Critics’

venom-nun-headed-for-big-openings-696x464.jpg

There’s no doubt that financially “Venom” was a massive success, the film exceeded expectations across the board at the box-office – even as reviews were harsh with the film only racking up a score of 29% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The man who created the comic book version of the character, “Spawn” creator Todd McFarlane, recently offered his thoughts to Yahoo on why the critical backlash took place and he puts the blame squarely on the film reviewers:

“It was a big roller coaster ride. Visually, everything was coming at you. I think at times… the critics get it wrong in that they forget their age. They come in, and they’re 42 years old, and they come in with their attitude and they’re going, ‘Stop it.’ What if you were 16, 15, and you were watching this movie? You would love it… Of course you would love it. This thing delivered everything it was supposed to. It was gnarly, it was nasty, it has a big cool Venom, which was what I was looking for. [That] was my bias – I just wanted to see the visualness of Venom that I had created 30 years prior.”

“Venom” has made $854 million worldwide to date on a $100 million budget. Work appears to be already underway on a sequel.