News We Also Just Lost......

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
engraved-brick.jpg

Not all losses are A List stars, creatives or crew, or worldwide household names to the public at large, but we just lost the following too.....

Remembered for their own unique, often modest contribution to things we love.....

Please feel free to highlight the passing of all those you feel deserve a mention and who might otherwise be overlooked.....

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

R.I.P. Gloria Katz

r-i-p-gloria-katz-696x464.jpg

Oscar-nominated producer and screenwriter Gloria Katz has died. 76-year-old Katz reportedly passed away on Sunday in Los Angeles at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after a battle with ovarian cancer.

Katz, her husband William Huyck and filmmaker George Lucas often collaborated with Katz co-writing “American Graffiti,” “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom,” “Howard the Duck” and “Radioland Murders”.

She and Huyck did an uncredited script polish on the original “Star Wars,” penning about 30% of the film’s dialogue. Their biggest contributions were adding humor and making the Princess Leia character much more assertive.

She also co-wrote “Messiah of Evil,” “Lucky Lady,” “French Postcards,” “Best Defense” with Huyck with him helming all four of them along with “Howard the Duck”.

Doctor Omega

R.I.P. Penny Marshall

r-i-p-penny-marshall-696x464.jpg

Iconic actress and filmmaker Penny Marshall has passed away. Marshall died from what appears to be complications from diabetes on Monday night at her Hollywood Hills home at the age of 75.

The Bronx-born actress was a three-time Golden Globe Award nominee for her role as Laverne DeFazio in the comedy series “Laverne & Shirley” which was spun-off from “Happy Days”. She also had recurring roles in “The Odd Couple” and “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” along with countless guest appearances in series like “Frasier,” “Mork and Mindy,” “The Simpsons,” “Bones” and “Entourage”.

Marshall jumped into filmmaking with 1986’s “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” which remains one of Whoopi Goldberg’s most famed films. She then made history in 1988 when she directed the Tom Hanks comedy “Big” which became the first film by a female director that grossed more than $100 million.

Marshall continued to make notable films throughout the 1990s including “Awakenings,” “A League of Their Own,” “Army Intelligence,” “The Preacher’s Wife” and “Riding in Cars with Boys”. Marshall was in the midst of wrapping up production on the documentary “Rodman” when she passed. Marshall was also close friends with the late Carrie Fisher and godmother to her daughter Billie Lourd.

Doctor Omega

Donald Moffat: Veteran film and theatre character actor dies at 87

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46647730

Screen-Shot-2018-12-21-at-10.05.43-AM.png 87b1da52035875fdabaaf891dc05a735.jpg

Donald Moffat, known for such films as Clear and Present Danger, The Thing and The Right Stuff, has died aged 87.

Moffat was born in Plymouth, Devon, but made his name on the stage and screen after moving to the US in 1956.

Two of his most famous roles were as US presidents - the real-life Lyndon B Johnson in 1983's The Right Stuff, and the fictional President Bennett in 1994's Clear and Present Danger.

He also received two Tony nominations on Broadway, both in 1967.

His daughter Lynn Moffat told The New York Times he died on Thursday as a result of complications after a recent stroke.

Other family members paid tribute on social media.

Doctor Omega

BBRUNNd.jpg

canton1.jpg

shepard2.jpg

William Morgan Sheppard (24 August 1932 – 6 January 2019)[1] also known as Morgan Sheppard or W. Morgan Sheppard, was a British actor and voice actor.

Film career

Sheppard starred in several episodes of different series of Star Trek, notably "The Schizoid Man" ........

..........and "Bliss". In the feature film Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, his role was the warden of a Klingon gulag........

........ and in the 2009 reboot Star Trek, he played a member of the Vulcan High Council, but was uncredited......

U-SheppardinST09.jpg

Outside of Star Trek, he is best known for his role as Blank Reg on Max Headroom and his role as the Confederate general Isaac Trimble in the films Gettysburg and Gods and Generals.

Sheppard appeared in two roles on the science-fiction series Babylon 5—in the episode "Soul Hunter" playing the eponymous character and also played Narn war leader G'Sten, an uncle of main character G'Kar, in "The Long Twilight Struggle". He was also a runner-up for the role of Ambassador G'Kar on the series, though the role eventually went to Andreas Katsulas.

Sheppard was one of several Star Trek actors who voiced characters on the animated series Gargoyles—he played the father of Jonathan Frakes' character David Xanatos and the Norse god Odin.

Sheppard and his son, Mark Sheppard, acted together in a few productions. Sheppard appeared in the television series NCIS, in the season-six episode "Broken Bird", where he played the older version of a man named Marcin Jerek, while his son played the younger version.[2] He appeared in the opening episode of series six of Doctor Who, "The Impossible Astronaut", playing the character Canton Everett Delaware III. He portrays an older version of Delaware, while his son portrays the younger version in the same episode. He and his son are among the few actors who have appeared in both the Star Trek and Doctor Who franchises.

Video game career

Sheppard voiced several characters in video games. He narrated the introductions and mission briefings for the first four installments of the Medal of Honor video-game series. He was cast in the 1996 adventure game Zork Nemesis, playing the live-action role of Bishop Francois Malveaux, one of the four alchemists central to the plot of the game. In 2000, he voiced the character Ignatius Cheese in the game Escape from Monkey Island. Sheppard voiced over for the character John Adams in the Wii game The Conduit. On 4 August 2010, Sheppard was announced as the voice actor for the video game Civilization V

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Marmalade & Alan Parsons Project Singer Dean Ford Dead at 72

Marmalade & Alan Parsons Project Singer Dean Ford Dead at 72 His daughter announced the news on Facebook saying he was “an amazing man, a gentle soul, extremely talented musician and a great father and Pop Pop to his only grandchild Connor … His music was his life and will now be his legacy for ever.”
He certainly mad an impression. In 1968 the Marmalade became the first Scottish band to top the British charts with the Beatles' “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.” In all they had 11 UK hits including, "Wait for Me Mary-Anne," "My Little One" "Back on the Road" and their top 10 tunes. “Lovin Things,” in 1968, “Baby Make It Soon” and “Reflections Of My Life,” which sold over 2 million copies worldwide kept him afloat, at times, financially and it was from 1969, “Rainbow” in 1970, “Cousin Norman” the following year, then “Radancer in 1972 and finally “Falling Apart at the Seams” in 1976. Jimi Hendrix once called their single “I See the Rain” the “Best cut of 1967.”
He was involved with many bands including Dean Ford and the Gaylords enjoyed success during the 60's live London scene that band evolved into the Marmalade. They also toured with the Who.

After quiting the band in the mid-seventies he moved to Los Angeles and worked as a limousine driver for Michael Jackson, Susan Sarandon and even Bob Dylan. He also delivered flowers and pizza. He wasn't too proud to get the job done and bring money home. Ford once said that the only thing that spoiled his life was alcohol and that it took him away from what he should have been doing. He'd been sober since 1986.
I am deeply saddened to hear of the passing of my dear friend Dean Ford. We first met in the mid-70's when I produced his first solo album. A few years later he was the featured vocalist for several songs on the Project's album "Pyramid. We both have lived in California, and would bump into each other on occasion. He was a lovely man and always very supportive of everything I have done creatively. He had a brilliant voice, and I will miss him dearly. Rest in peace my old friend!

He never left music through the years and he was still releasing new material. His most recent project was with former Badfinger guitarist Joe Tansin. - By John Beaudin

Doctor Omega

la-smarble-1485899662-snap-photo.jpg

Carol Channing

Channing in 1973

Born
Carol Elaine Channing

January 31, 1921
Seattle, Washington, U.S.
Died January 15, 2019 (aged 97)
Rancho Mirage, California, U.S.
Alma mater Bennington College
Occupation Actress, dancer, singer, comedienne
Years active 1941–2016
Home town San Francisco, California, U.S.
Height 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)[1]
Spouse(s)
Theodore Naidish
(m. 1941; div. 1944)

Alex Carson
(m. 1953; div. 1956)

Charles Lowe
(m. 1956; died 1999)

Harry Kullijian
(m. 2003; died 2011)
Children 1

Carol Elaine Channing (January 31, 1921 – January 15, 2019) was an American actress, singer, dancer and comedienne. Known for starring in Broadway and film musicals, her characters usually radiated a fervent expressiveness and an easily identifiable voice, whether singing or for comedic effect.

She began as a Broadway musical actress, starring in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes in 1949 and Hello, Dolly! in 1964, winning the Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical for the latter. She revived both roles several times throughout her career, most recently playing Dolly in 1995. Channing was nominated for her first Tony Award in 1956 for The Vamp followed by a nomination in 1961 for Show Girl. She received her fourth Tony Award nomination for the musical Lorelei in 1974.

As a film actress, she won the Golden Globe Award and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance as Muzzy in Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967). Her other film appearances include The First Traveling Saleslady (1956) and Skidoo (1968). On television, she appeared as an entertainer on variety shows, from The Ed Sullivan Show in the 1950s to Hollywood Squares. She had a standout performance as The White Queen in the TV production of Alice in Wonderland (1985), and had the first of many TV specials in 1966, An Evening with Carol Channing.[2]

Channing was inducted into the American Theatre Hall of Fame in 1981 and received a Lifetime Achievement Tony Award in 1995.[3]She continued to perform and make appearances well into her 90s, singing songs from her repertoire and sharing stories with fans, cabaret style. She released an autobiography, Just Lucky I Guess, in 2002, and Larger Than Life, a documentary film about her career, was released in 2012.

Broadway Icon Carol Channing Passes Away At 97 | NBC News

NBC’s Anne Thompson looks back on the life and career of Broadway star Carol Channing, who originated the roles of Lorelei in “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” and Dolly in “Hello Dolly.”

Carol Channing on "What's My Line?"

Tony Randall, Helen Gurley Brown, and Martin Gabel join the panel (I saved the walk-on because I loved Brown's description of Martin as "sexy"--I happen to agree!). Many incorrect guesses are made, and Carol ends with much shameless plugging of her upcoming TV special.

Doctor Omega

Obituary: Windsor Davies, star of It Ain't Half Hot Mum

wd-windsor-davies.jpg

Comedy actor Windsor Davies, who was immortalised as the sergeant major in TV series It Ain't Half Hot Mum, has died aged 88.

Davies, who also topped the pop charts with sitcom partner Don Estelle in 1975, had modelled the role on men he knew on National Service.

"Apart from the brilliance of the writing, I think It Ain't Half Hot Mum was brilliant because that is how it really was," he told BBC Wales in 2012.

"Sergeant majors had these recognisable forms of expression and all that stuff. A lot came from [writers] David Croft and Jimmy Perry who were both ex-Army."

Born in August 1930 in Canning Town, east London, Windsor Davies returned home to his father's home village, Nant-y-Moel in the Ogmore valley, when World War Two broke out.

He was educated at Ogmore Grammar School and also worked as a miner, like his father, before National Service with the Army in north Africa.

After training to be a teacher in Bangor, Davies taught English and Maths for four years in the 1950s at Leek in Staffordshire, where he was known as a joker and making his pupils laugh.

But he was also involved in amateur dramatics and was persuaded by his wife Lynne to answer an advert for a short drama course run by the Kew theatre company in London.

"Lynne said to me, 'you'll never be really happy unless you have a go at this, will you?'" he recalled to BBC Wales in 2012.

But he had a false-start to his acting career when he was cast in a TV series called Probation Officer. "It was a terrible mistake to have taken that job because I didn't know one end of a TV camera from the other and I didn't know how to tackle the job properly," he recalled.

He was given roles in uniform in police series from Z Cars to Callan and more bit-part work, not always easy with a growing family.

"I worked with virtually every comedian the BBC employed as a feed man - I'd go along and do the one scene, working with people like Dick Emery, Norman Wisdom and Charlie Drake," he said.

And it was a comedy which was to propel him from jobbing actor to stardom and make him a familiar face to millions in the 1970s.

Image captionThe It Ain't Half Hot Mum cast in 1976
Davies had first teamed up with singer Don Estelle on the northern club circuit.

In 1973, they were cast together in It Ain't Half Hot Mum, the follow-up comedy for Dad's Army creators Perry and Croft.

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/it-aint-half-hot-mum-1974.3814/

It was set in a Royal Artillery concert party in the last few months of World War Two in India - although the series ran for eight years.

Davies played Battery Sergeant Major Williams - nicknamed Sgt Major "Shut Up!" - a no-nonsense, bellowing platoon leader with a love-hate relationship with the theatrical troupe.

Frustrated in his endeavours to drill them as a fighting unit, he had little time for the artistic pursuits of his charges - always happier in costume than Army uniform - or the upper class twits who were his commanding officers. His authority was further subtly undermined by the camp's Indian servants.

Battery Sergeant Major Williams was originally written as a Londoner and lined up for Rising Damp star Leonard Rossiter. But thankfully it was re-written for Davies as a Welshman - who made the part very much his own, even adding his own "lovely boys" catchphrase.

"David Croft and Jimmy Perry had auditioned a number of people and they were fed up with some of them telling them how to play the sergeant major," said Davies about his call to read for the role.

"I did my old Cockney bit but they said, 'hang on a minute, you're a Welshman - do it as a Welshman' and I remember thinking about a bloke I knew from the south Wales valleys, who talked this certain way, and they laughed and when I got home, my agent had called to say they wanted me.

"I thought, it's a series! Which was lovely, with me having a wife and five children."

With Davies alongside 4ft 9 ins tall Estelle as Gunner "Lofty" Sugden, It Ain't Half Hot Mum at its peak it attracted 15 million viewers a week and ran for eight series.

The pair also enjoyed a number one hit in 1975 when they recorded a version of Whispering Grass in character, a novelty hit which nevertheless sold more than a million copies.

Image captionDavies pictured with Don Estelle and Max Boyce - the pair took the characters out into the wider world of light entertainment in the late 1970s
The partnership spilled over into more stage and screen appearances and TV commercials.

'Something else'
Another "chalk and cheese" partnership saw Davies star as Oliver Smallbridge, alongside Donald Sinden as two rival antique dealers in the long-running ITV sitcom Never The Twain.

Although overshadowed by It Ain't Half Hot Mum, it ran for more than 60 episodes.

Back in Wales, Davies also starred in a one-off BBC production which gained cult status and was still fondly remembered years later - gaining a new lease of life with a DVD release.

Image captionWindsor Davies in 1978's Grand Slam - his personal favourite
Grand Slam was a 1978 comedy about the exploits of a group of Welsh fans who travelled to Paris for a rugby weekend.

It was shot on location during the weekend of an actual France v Wales match - with the cast even flying over with the Wales team.

Davies - a self-confessed "low grade" rugby player in his youth - was cast as Mog Jones, the leader of the travelling group, who ends up behind bars after an incident at a strip club. He appeared alongside Welsh comic talents Hugh Griffith, Sion Probert and Dewi "Pws" Morris, who all were encouraged to improvise.

"That was probably the one I enjoyed most of all," Davies recalled.

"I enjoyed my work a lot but that was something else."

Davies was also the voice of Sergeant Major Zero in the 1980s sci-fi series Terrahawks. As well as stage appearances, there were parts in more than 20 films, including two later Carry Ons.

He retired from acting in his 70s to live in the south of France, near Toulouse, with his wife of 62 years Eluned who died in September. They had five children.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Toby.jpg

Toby (The Evil of the Daleks)

Appearance:
The Evil of the Daleks

Main actor:
Windsor Davies

Toby was a criminal hired by Arthur Terrall to kidnap Jamie McCrimmon.

In June 1866, Toby entered Theodore Maxtible's house and knocked out Jamie, and replaced Jamie's body with the body of the unconscious maid, Mollie Dawson. He then took Jamie to the house's stables.

When Terrall arrived, he was horrified at what he had done, confusing Toby. When Toby asked for his pay, at first Terrall didn't know what he was talking about. He then became angry and paid Toby.

He later returned to the stables and tried to get more money from Terrall and when Terrall refused, Toby threatened to take what he knew to someone who would pay for the information. They fought, and Toby knocked Terrall unconscious with a pitchfork. He then took Terrall's keys and sneaked into Maxtible's laboratory and snooped in some of the boxes. Also in the room, was a Dalek, which exterminated him before he could get away from it. (TV: The Evil of the Daleks)

Doctor Omega

Andy Vajna Dies

andy-vajna.jpg

Andrew G. Vajna, a Hungarian-American film producer behind blockbuster movies such as Terminator 3 who went on to head the Hungarian National Film Fund which backed Hungarian Oscar winner Son of Saul, has died aged 74 in his Budapest home after a long illness, the Hungarian National Film Fund told MTI on Sunday.

Vajna, the government commissioner in charge of the development of Hungary’s film industry who set up the Hungarian National Film Fund which supported a slew of internationally prize-winning Hungarian films, was born in Budapest in 1944. In 1956, aged 12, he fled Hungary on his own and emigrated to Canada with help of the Red Cross, and later reunited with his parents in Los Angeles.

He studied at University of California Los Angeles and started working at the university’s Educational Motion Picture Department. Later he set up his own photo studio before establishing his own wig manufacturing company and operating cinemas in Hong Kong.

Vajna produced 59 films in all, including the Evita starring Madonna and Sylvester Stallone’s first three Rambo films.

He worked with directors such as Oliver Stone and James Cameron, and actors like Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Anthony Hopkins, Gary Oldman, Michael Douglas, Robert de Niro, Demi Moore, Sharon Stone and Scarlett Johansson.

He was co-owner in Hungary of the film production company Korda Studios in Etyek, commercial television TV2 and commercial radio Radio 1 and the Casino Las Vegas.

In a statement in tribute to Vajna, the Hungarian National Film Fund noted that Vajna never had forgotten his Hungarian roots and always closely followed the domestic film industry. During his period as a government commissioner, Hungarian films which notched international successes include Son of Saul, On Body and Soul, 1945 and Kincsem.

He played an indisputable role in boosting the Hungarian film industry, the fund added. The volume of film productions in Hungary grew by almost fivefold during his period. During the “Vajna era”, Hungarian films supported by the film fund won hundreds of international prizes, including an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a Golden Bear, they added.

“We are bidding farewell to the greatest Hungarian film producer. Hasta la vista, Andy! Thank you for everything, my friend!” Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said on his Facebook page.

He can be seen in this new behind the scenes on TERMINATOR 6 video.....

Behind the Scenes in Hungary: Terminator - This was the last set visit of Andy Vajna to one of the international productions filmed in Hungary.

And here seen at Cannes......

Ac3T

Member: Rank 1
Carmen Argenziano died

"Stargate SG-1" and "The Godfather Part II" star Carmen Argenziano has died, aged 75.

The veteran actor passed away on Sunday, Event Horizon Talent — his personal appearance agency — has revealed.

In a moving tribute posted on Facebook, Event Horizon Talent said: "It is with a heavy heart and more sadness than anyone can realize right now that I announce the passing of client Carmen Argenziano at the age of 75.

"His acting career began in the early 1970s and included a turn in The Godfather, Part II. "Carmen worked steadily over more than 40 years and was a staple character actor on our televisions throughout that time, including on series such as 'Cheers,' 'Melrose Place,' 'ER,' 'CSI:NY' and many others, while also lending his talents to films both tentpole [expensive major motion picture] and intimate."

The agency added that, "to genre fans, he is best known for his role as Jacob Carter/Selmak on the series 'Stargate SG-1', a role he relished and recurred in for seven years.

"While Carmen was a client, he was also a good friend.

"While he was a class act and a consummate gentleman at the events he was booked for, he was also a caring and generous person.

"While I had known him for more than a decade, it wasn't until the past three years as a representative for him that our trust and friendship grew and blossomed.

"He truly treated me like family, and that sentiment was returned.

"Please join me in sending thoughts and prayers to Carmen's family and loved ones during this difficult time.

"Godspeed, my friend."

The Pennsylvania-born actor starred in many television episodes over a period of 50 years, including popular shows such as "Columbo."

The star has 227 acting credits to his name on IMDb.

He played General Jacob Carter in 25 episodes of "Stargate SG-1," from 1998 to 2005, and was considered one of the show's best-loved stars.

Argenziano is survived by his wife, Lisa, and his three children.

Fans have been paying tribute to the actor, posting on Facebook that he was "such a nice guy."

One woman, who met him in Chicago at a "Stargate" convention, recalled having a "heart-to-heart" with him, and she found him "sweet, kind and non judgmental.

"It's amazing how a person can have an effect on your whole life with a simple chat. He truly was very gifted."

John Osterbeck posted: "Oh no! I worked with Carmen Argenziano on 'Stargate.' He was so kind and sweet, funny and respectful."

This article originally appeared on The Sun.

Doctor Omega

R.I.P. Bruno Ganz

rip-bruno-ganz-696x464.jpg

Famed Swiss actor Bruno Ganz has died aged 77. The actor was diagnosed with colon cancer last year and died at his home in Zurich on Friday.

Ganz received international acclaim for his portrayal of Adolf Hitler in 2004’s historical war drama “Downfall” and also appeared in such films as “Wings of Desire,” “Bread and Tulips,” “The Boys from Brazil,” “The Reader,” Werner Herzog’s “Nosferatu,” and “The Manchurian Candidate” remake.

Ganz’s most recent film appearance was in Lars von Trier’s “The House That Jack Built” which premiered at Cannes last year.

Doctor Omega

R.I.P. Larry Cohen

r-i-p-larry-cohen-696x464.jpg

Famed B-movie filmmaker and later high-concept successful screenwriter Larry Cohen has died at the age of 77. Cohen reportedly passed away in Los Angeles Saturday night surrounded by loved ones.

Cohen began his career in the 1960s writing episodes of series like “The Defenders” and “The Invaders” before jumping to directing films like “It’s Alive,” “Q: The Winged Serpent” and “The Stuff”. He was known for fun high concept genre works whose ambition always exceeded their budget.

Then, in the early 2000s Cohen took the basic idea of a phone and turned it into two successful thrillers – 2002’s “Phone Booth” with Colin Farrell and 2004’s “Cellular” with Chris Evans.

Cohen was included in the Showtime TV anthology “Masters of Horror” in 2006 with his segment ‘Pick Me Up’ scoring acclaim.

Doctor Omega

R.I.P. Agnes Varda

r-i-p-agnes-varda-696x464.jpg

Beloved and iconic Belgian-born filmmaker Agnes Varda has died at the age of 90. Her family told the AFP she died at her home on Thursday as a result of complications from cancer. At the time, she was surrounded by her family and friends.

Varda was a key figure in the French New Wave in the 1960s with films like “Cleo from 5 to 7,” “Le Bonheur,” “Vagabond” and “La Pointe-Courte”. She was a noted photographer, screenplay writer, actress and visual artist.

She became the first female director to receive a rare honorary Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival in 2015 and to be awarded an honorary Oscar in 2017, and was the oldest ever nominee for a competitive Oscar last year for her celebrated documentary “Faces Places”.

She famously was unable to attend the annual Oscar nominee lunch so sent several life-size cardboard cut-outs of herself to substitute.

Her final film, the autobiographical documentary “Varda by Agnes,” premiered at Berlinale last month.