Review World Enough and Time / The Doctor Falls (2017)

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I found the Master’s use of a disguise to be quite a nice nod back to the days of Classic Who.
This is the first time watching John Simm playing the Master that I truly felt he'd captured the essence of the Classic Master. None of his usual ADD sillyness. Just pure evil. At the same time Missy has never felt less like the Master (although overall I've been a fan of Michelle Gomez's performance).

And oh no, the Master killed himself/herself and made it so she can't regenerate. We'll never see the Master again!!!
Or more likely, the next incarnation will just show up at some point without any explanation. I'm not sure what the value of trying to pretend that she can't regenerate is. It's not like anyone watching doesn't know she (or he) will be back at some point in the future./SPOILER]

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I too was disappointed that Bill went back to normal. It would have been nice to have her die a hero.

I loved the Master's end. Quite fitting!

And yes, two Doctors, I can hardly wait!
Yeah disappointing but predictable.

It's interesting to note that, although all of Moffat's companions have managed to survive their death, none of them have been left to continue their old lives the way that the RTD companions did (in one way or another). Amy and Rory got to live their full lives but cut off from their family and friends, Clara gets to explore the universe, but has to come back to a fixed point in time to die and can never grow old or have a family, and Bill also gets to explore the universe but again doesn't get to continue her old life.

AlanH49

Member: Rank 1
I too was disappointed that Bill went back to normal. It would have been nice to have her die a hero.

I loved the Master's end. Quite fitting!

And yes, two Doctors, I can hardly wait!
But, Bill does not go back to normal at least not yet. She may not be dead or a Cyberman, but her current condition is not normal.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Just watching this again...

Whatever the faults of the show around it, or indeed how it resolved itself next episode, I think it is still an exceptionally well directed and edited sequence that manages to draw out good performances from the cast involved....... I think the director of this is probably the real star though......

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I think the director of this is probably the real star though......
Rachel Talalay was born in Chicago Illinois. Her parents, Paul and Prudence, moved to Baltimore to work/teach at Johns Hopkins when she was 4 years old. After studying Applied Mathematics at Yale University, she worked as a computer programmer at Johns Hopkins University. During this time, she met Director John Waters and entered the movie business as a production assistant on his 'Polyester', starring Divine. Here she met Robert Shaye, head of New Line Cinema, and started a long relationship which led to her work on the "Nightmare on Elm Street" films, culminating her relationship with directing "Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare". From there she continued her directing career, moving into television, and working on a wide variety of projects from family entertainment "Wind in the Willows" to Horror "Supernatural" to Comedy "Ally McBeal". In 2014 she became the first American and seventh woman to direct "Doctor Who".