Fun Worlds of DC

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
“Gotham City Sirens” Has Been Scrapped?

gotham-city-sirens-has-been-scrapped-696x464.jpg

With the announcement this week of both a standalone The Joker origin film, and yesterday’s reveal of a Joker and Harley Quinn film, it’s understandable that there’s some confusion with what’s going on with DC Films in the near future.

Today things got slightly less confusing with word from The Tracking Board that the John Requa and Glenn Ficarra-penned and directed Joker & Harley Quinn film is going to replace the previously announced “Gotham City Sirens” project which has been reconceived. David Ayer, who was slated to direct ‘Sirens,’ is no longer attached.

The Joker & Harley film is set within the continuity of the DCEU and is expected in cinemas after “Suicide Squad 2” which will also feature the characters.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
A Joker origin film???? Why???? There is nothing about that character that an origin story can do anything other than make less interesting.

As far as Gotham City Sirens goes, I wish DC would get their act together and work out what they actually want to do before announcing every random idea they have.

Doctor Omega

“Gotham City Sirens” Is Still Alive & Kicking

gotham-city-sirens-still-alive-and-kicking-696x464.jpg

With the announcements this week of both a non-DCEU The Joker origin film and a “Mad Love”-esque Joker & Harley Quinn team-up film, there’s naturally been a lot of speculation and confusion about what’s happening to the rest of DC Films slate at Warner Bros. Pictures – particularly the Batman-related titles.

Director Matt Reeves has had to step forward to clear up some earlier comments and re-affirm that his “The Batman” film will remain a part of the DC Extended Universe initiative. Whether Ben Affleck will remain involved though is unclear.

We’ve also had Jared Leto implying that he’s staying onboard as The Joker for both the “Suicide Squad” sequel and the Joker & Harley Quinn movie. However one bit of speculation has been that due to the latter’s announcement, the previously talked about David Ayer film “Gotham City Sirens” has been scrapped.

That’a not the case says Forbes today who claims to have talked to a Warner insider who tells the site that ‘Sirens’ remains very much in development and: “Harley, Catwoman and Poison Ivy are super important to us– And a super cool team, too!”

The report adds that the project is: “very different in terms of concept and the role it plays in the larger DCEU, not to mention nuances of target demographics and character development, compared to Mad Love. So there has been no shift of the concept or project to replace it with a criminal love story featuring Harley Quinn and the Joker.”

There’s the suggestion the Joker & Harley Quinn film could go first and see the end of that unhealthy relationship, with ‘Sirens’ following Harley’s new independent lease on life. If so, there would also potentially be room for some crossover.

Doctor Omega

Jared Leto Implies His Return As The Joker

jared-leto-implies-his-return-as-the-joker-696x464.jpg

Following on from word this week of not one but two new Warners-DC films in the works featuring The Joker, actor Jared Leto has implied that he’s returning for at least one of them.

Leto first took on the role in “Suicide Squad” last year, but famously had very little screen time in the final film. During production came multiple stories about his eccentric behaviour on set, and after the film’s release there was talk of him being upset over how his role had been significantly cut back. They even went so far as suggesting he wouldn’t be back for the sequel.

Speaking with Australian radio show Kyle and Jackie O this week, Leto seemed to re-affirm his commitment to the role and dismissed all the media reports about his conduct:

“There’s so much hype and bulls–t about that. I think it’s just fun to talk about. Even when the movie came out, there was so much misrepresentation about what went down, about the method acting crap. 90% of it was not even true, it just takes on a life of its own.

It was an incredible experience. Everybody was amazing. Margot Robbie, one of the nicest people and one of the best actresses I’ve ever worked with, and I really loved working with her. I thought the scenes and what we did together was some of the most fun I’ve ever had on a set before. But everything’s great in that world, and I’m really proud to be a part of it.”

With “Suicide Squad 2” on a fast track and a “Joker and Harley Quinn” film in development (and seemingly replacing the previously announced “Gotham City Sirens”), Leto will certainly have more time to explore the role. Todd Phillips’ standalone The Joker origin tale is expected to cast someone else in the role for a one-off period tale.

Doctor Omega

'Drop-dead gorgeous' Wonder Woman 'not breaking ground' says James Cameron

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41426260

_98055569_cameron_gadot.jpg

Avatar director James Cameron has launched more criticism at the recent Wonder Woman reboot, saying: "She's absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. To me, that's not breaking ground."

He told Hollywood Reporter: "She was Miss Israel, and she was wearing a kind of bustier costume that was very form-fitting.

"They had Raquel Welch doing stuff like that in the '60s."

He said in August that its star Gal Gadot played "an objectified icon".

But the film's director Patty Jenkins hit back, saying "there is no right or wrong kind of powerful woman".

Doctor Omega

The DCEU Is Being De-Emphasized

the-dceu-is-being-de-emphasized-696x464.jpg

Discussing the future of the DC Extended Universe in a new interview with Vulture, DC Comics chief Geoff Johns says that the company is now scaling back on the integration level of its various films once this Fall’s “Justice League” is out.

Warners has tried to create a shared cinematic universe for its DC Comics properties, and while the films make bank – the critical reaction wasn’t so kind until this Summer’s “Wonder Woman”.

As a result, Johns says while they’re not giving up on continuity, they will de-emphasise the idea of these movies all sharing the same world and having to cross over regularly ala the Marvel Cinematic Universe:

“Our intention, certainly, moving forward is using the continuity to help make sure nothing is diverging in a way that doesn’t make sense, but there’s no insistence upon an overall story line or interconnectivity in that universe.”

That explains why, post ‘League,’ the studio is taking time with its DC film projects and allowing development on them to take place organically as opposed to forcing it to be done to match a deadline. Standalone is the new black Johns explains:

“The movie’s not about another movie. Some of the movies do connect the characters together, like Justice League. But, like with Aquaman, our goal is not to connect Aquaman to every movie. Moving forward, you’ll see the DC movie universe being a universe, but one that comes from the heart of the filmmaker who’s creating them.”

“Aquaman” will be the first post-‘League’ DCEU film and is currently targeting a very late December releaes.

Gavin

VIP
“Our intention, certainly, moving forward is using the continuity to help make sure nothing is diverging in a way that doesn’t make sense, but there’s no insistence upon an overall story line or interconnectivity in that universe.”

That explains why, post ‘League,’ the studio is taking time with its DC film projects and allowing development on them to take place organically as opposed to forcing it to be done to match a deadline. Standalone is the new black Johns explains:
Sounds like they might finally be learning. If they take their time and do it right they can build up a fantastic interconnected universe but if they rush into it and force the interconnectedness like they did with BvS they'll continue to be panned. Wonder Woman was definitely the right move. A stand-alone movie that had just enough hints to indicate that it was part of a shared universe but not so much that you felt like you were missing out if you hadn't seen anything else.

Doctor Omega

Snyder & Warners Had Differing “Justice” Visions

superman-looms-in-justice-league-art-696x464.jpg

We’re still a few weeks out from seeing “Justice League,” a film primarily of Zack Snyder’s vision, but one that has also had Joss Whedon and the folks at Warner Bros. Pictures playing a not insignificant part in helping shape it.

Also we got word a month ago that the studio was moving away from the interconnectivity between its DC films. That came from a piece in Vulture, and now the journalist responsible has spoken with BOF this week about what didn’t make the story. He said Snyder’s vision for the film differed from the studios significantly:

“That was actually a quote that didn’t show up in the finished piece, but that Diane [Nelson] gave me. It was to the effect of ‘we are a director driven place and Zack [Snyder] had a vision that didn’t necessarily sync up with what our vision of these characters is, but we respect that he wanted to go for that and that’s part of our philosophy.'”

With Snyder’s exit though, it’s not clear how much of his original vision will remain intact due to the Joss Whedon-directed reshoots. Star Ben Affleck has nothing but praise for the work Whedon has done and talks about what he brought to the film, telling SFX (via ComicBook.com):

“Joss just brought to the movie what good directors bring, which is good taste. A sense of what’s gonna work in the story and what isn’t. An instinct for realism and for finding the humanity in the characters and the humanity in the conflict, then making it accessible and relevant.

I think that’s one of the things he did so well with Avengers, frankly. He really defined the tone, and it felt like a lot of the movies after that sort of fell into that tone that he created. It was a very tricky dance where you have all these people who can do all these fantastic things that’s completely absurd on the face of it, and yet, a good storyteller like Joss brings us in, makes us identify with them, makes them seem real, and makes it interesting. A lot of guys know the comic books, a lot of people have that knowledge base. What Joss really has is talent.”

Whatever the extent of the reshoots, it has now been officially confirmed that Zack Snyder will be the sole credited director on the project which has been rated PG-13. “Justice League” opens in cinemas on November 17th.

Doctor Omega

James Gunn Calls For DC vs. Marvel Detente

james-gunn-calls-for-dc-vs-marvel-detente.jpg

When it comes to comic book films, no single film’s quality in the last five years or so has resulted in more discussion and debate than Zack Snyder’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice”. The DCEU films have produced both better and worse, but it has become the go to film in arguments between Marvel and DC fanboys far more than any other.

In fact, the discussion has become so repetitive that one filmmaker says he’s had enough – “Guardians of the Galaxy” helmer James Gunn. In a series of tweets posted last night, Gunn calls the back and forth over the film pointless and is still astonished the movie is still so widely discussed to this day. Here’s his full multi-tweet post which calls for a cessation of hostilities:

“Every time I mention anything DC, no matter what, my feed becomes an endless screaming match about BvS. You guys are never going to convince each other – it’s just a bunch of wasted energy. At least when you’re screaming at each other about Trump, it’s something of international importance. But it’s a two year old movie that some people like and some people don’t.

Why is someone else’s opinion so important to you? As Marvel and DC super fans you have way more in common with each other than you do with the rest of the world. So why do you spend so much time raging at each other? It’s silly. Please just stop it. Stop engaging in that way. But at the very least, when you do, untag me. I’ve muted a lot of you guys, but not all. Thanks.”

Panned by critics, though not as much as “Suicide Squad,” ‘Dawn of Justice’ ultimately grossed $873 million worldwide on a $250 million budget. The mixed reaction from audiences has at least kept the film in the conversation, and will no doubt come up in discussion again very soon as reaction to “Justice League” is set to wash over the internet in just under three weeks time.

Doctor Omega

Gadot Explains Key “Wonder Woman” Retcon

gadot-explains-key-wonder-woman-retcon-696x464.jpg

A few weeks out from “Justice League” hitting cinemas, and actress Gal Gadot has confirmed in a new interview that in the wake of the reaction to “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice,” her “Wonder Woman” solo film underwent some changes that has effectively negated a key element of her character’s first appearance. In other words, “Wonder Woman” retconned “Batman v Superman”.

In ‘Dawn,’ the character came off as jaded, revealing she had turned her back on mankind a century ago and was reluctant to get involved with humanity’s troubles. The end of “Wonder Woman” however featured a voiceover from Diana in which she says she has no plans on giving up on mankind: “Only love can save this world. So I stay. I fight, and I give…for the world I know it can be. This is my mission, now. Forever.”

So has she given up on us? Nope. Speaking at a Chinese press event for the movie yesterday (via ComicBook.com), Gadot says the idea of her character doing that has been dropped entirely:

“None of us knew exactly, exactly, the back story of Wonder Woman. And once they decided to shoot the solo movie for Wonder Woman and we started to dig in to understand the core of this character, we realized that, actually, there is no way that Wonder Woman would ever give up on mankind. The reason why she left the island was because she wanted to make their life better and safer – they are her calling. So – I’m giving you a very honest answer – sometimes, in a creative process, you establish something that is not necessarily the right decision, but then you can always correct it and change it. So Wonder Woman will always be there as far as she concerns for mankind.”

Continuity sticklers will no doubt have a field day. “Justice League,” which is a direct follow-up to ‘Dawn of Justice,’ opens in theaters November 17th.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
James Gunn Calls For DC vs. Marvel Detente
I have been reading comics for almost 40 years. And I have read everything when it comes to the four color adventures: Marvel, DC, EC, Charleton, Harvey, Gold Key, Dell, Archie, Image, and all sorts of lesser known companies and indie comics (and, yes, I have read my share of adult comics). I just love comic books. Are there some characters I love more than others? Yes. Does every company have their pros and cons? Yes. I love more Marvel stories out of the 90s than DC. I love more DC stories out of the 70s than I do Marvel. I love more of what I have seen of the recent Marvel Star Wars books than the Dark Horse books, and I love the Dark Horse books.

I have had friends who are strictly "one or the other", and I don't get that mentality. We're all in the same boat. Sure, comic book movies and television are big business these days, but we, the readers, are still on the outside. We don't need all of the infighting. Nerds united.

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
I was never a fan of DC comics. I occasionally read Superman. Batman was too angsty. Aquaman too distant, lack of personality. Loved Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman but the comic, meh. The Superman movies have been entertaining. Singer's more 'human' Superman, and Snyder's slightly darker Superman were both interesting takes. I like Ben Affleck as Batman but I hate the Batman character, it's gotten ridiculous. Dial it back a bit and focus a bit more on a more human detective than an overpowered and over-costumed let's pretend he doesn't have superpowers, superhero.

Doctor Omega

Cavill: DCEU’s Approach Hasn’t Necessarily Worked

cavill-dceus-approach-hasnt-necessarily-worked-696x464.jpg

Debates will long rage over the DC Extended Universe, though one thing most seem to agree on is that this attempt to build a cinematic universe by Warners has take a good amount of time to find its feet – not really doing so until its fourth film with “Wonder Woman”.

That film saw a change in tone in a more successful way than was done with David Ayer’s “Suicide Squad” which tried to shift gears after the fact. Gone was the dark and serious brooding of Zack Snyder’s “Man of Steel” and “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and out came a more heroic tale with an emotional core, positivity and a more standalone nature.

This week the DCEU’s current Superman, actor Henry Cavill, spoke with Poetic Justice(via Heroic Hollywood) and touched upon the issues with the films so far:

“Even if Marvel didn’t exist, we’d struggle. There was a style they [DC] were going for, an attempt to be different and look at things from a slightly different perspective, which hasn’t necessarily worked. Yes, it has made money but it has not been a critical success; it hasn’t given everyone that sensation which superheroes should give the viewer.

I think it is a wonderful time for the female hero. It is the perfect setting in social politics right now, we need it, we want that perspective, and Wonder Woman has struck at the ideal time and has become a phenomenal success, which is fantastic. Any success within the superhero universe, especially within the DC Universe, is wonderful, because I want to keep telling the Superman story; selfishly, that works for me.

I feel like now the right mistakes have been made and they haven’t been pandered [to], and we can start telling the stories in the way they need to be told. It is even better to come back from a mistake or stylistic error into the correct vein because it will make it seem that much stronger. Wonder Woman was the first step in the right direction.”

The big question now is if “Justice League” will keep moving the DCEU forward in that right direction. The film entered production weeks after ‘Dawn’ was released and the studio made a big show about how they intend for it to be a much lighter and more fun affair despite Snyder being at the helm, and the recent Joss Whedon reshoots are thought to have emphasised or added more quirky character moments.

Speaking of the film, a new featurette and motion poster for it have arrived – both focusing on Ben Affleck’s take on Batman. Check them out below, “Justice League” opens in theaters on November 17th.

Doctor Omega

Ben Affleck Talks Segueing Out Of Batman

ben-affleck-talks-segueing-out-of-batman-696x464.jpg

Ben Affleck’s future with the DCEU remains in doubt as the actor, doing press rounds for “Justice League,” is making it clear his potential return for “The Batman” is far from a certainty.

Asked by USA Today about returning for the Matt Reeves-directed solo “The Batman,” Affleck says the idea is “something I’m contemplating” and that the role is one he’s open and seemingly ready to leave: “You don’t do it forever, so I want to find a graceful and cool way to segue out of it.”

Affleck was originally slated to direct the film and co-wrote a script with Geoff Johns, but the studio ditched both ideas which has led to this uncertainty about his future with these movies – an uncertainty that Affleck isn’t dispelling anytime soon.

The comments come as further details about the Bat-universe in “Justice League” emerge. EW confirms some of Joss Whedon’s reshoots allowed Affleck to ‘play the dynamics, the sexual tension with Wonder Woman, the regular old tension with Flash.’

J.K. Simmons has also spoken about his take on Commissioner Gordon, this one having had plenty of combat experience as a Marine veteran. He tells the film’s tie-in magazine: “My take on Commissioner Gordon is that he’s a badass but that’s an under-appreciated part of who he is, because he’s eclipsed by the ultimate badass, Batman. But Gordon is a tough ex-Marine, who worked his way up and can handle himself in the turf of bad guys. Compared to Batman, he’s just a regular guy, but compared to most people, he’s a champion.”

“Justice League” opens in cinemas on Friday.

Doctor Omega

Talk Of Affleck’s Replacement As “The Batman”

talk-of-afflecks-replacement-as-the-batman-696x464.jpg

While the question remains as to whether Ben Affleck will stay on as Batman after “Justice League,” the upcoming director of “The Batman” solo film would appear to already have a replacement in mind.

As we know Affleck was slated to direct the project from a script he was co-writing, but then he dropped out with the recent ‘Apes’ sequel helmer Matt Reeves coming onboard and retooling the whole project. The plan now is for a new trilogy of Batman films, but beyond that everything is up in the air.

Today, journalist, podcaster and producer John Campea has reported on his personal channel that Reeves has a specific person in mind to slip on the cowl should Affleck hang it up:

“I’m hesitant to say anything, but I talked to a Hollywood producer yesterday and they gave me the name of who Matt Reeves wants [to replace Ben Affleck] as Batman. And, I’ve got to be honest with you, that name caught me a little bit by surprise. I called somebody else later in the day, saying: ‘Hey, I heard this, is there any validity to this?’ And they said: ‘Well, Matt does want him…’ But that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. There’s been no movement or anything like that.”

Campea then went on to say the recast would be a straight actor swap (ala Don Cheadle replacing Terrence Howard as War Machine, or the pre-Nolan Batman films), and so would not be referenced and would remain within the same universe.

Doctor Omega

Jake Gyllenhaal Is Rumored For “The Batman”

jake-gyllenhaal-is-rumored-for-the-batman-696x464.jpg

Following rumors earlier today that filmmaker Matt Reeves has already settled on a replacement for Ben Affleck In “The Batman” should he decide to not participate, it appears as if that potential replacement’s name has been revealed – Jake Gyllenhaal.

According to John Campea’s podcast on Screen Crush, which was also the source of the original rumor this morning, Gyllenhall is the actor that Reeves wants wearing the cape and cowl and adds that his films will apparently be standalone to the main DCEU universe.

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-batman-in-preperation.1504/

As “The Batman” is thought to be the first in a potential trilogy it comes as little surprise they’re ditching the DCEU connection with Warners said to be going down the path of more standalone films. Campea says Gyllenhaal’s deal is only in the early discussion stage at the moment.

Gyllenhaal has a history with Batman, the actor being up for the role in 2005’s “Batman Begins” before Christian Bale scored it. Additionally his sister Maggie Gyllenhaal starred in that film’s sequel “The Dark Knight”.

Gavin

VIP
If Affleck isn't willing to commit to the role long enough to see the proposed trilogy out they should definitely consider recasting asap.