Review Young Sherlock Holmes (1985)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
oihoih.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

When assorted people start having inexplicable delusions that lead to their deaths, a teenage Sherlock Holmes decides to investigate.

Movie CLIP - Watson Meets Holmes

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Movie CLIP - Watson Meets Holmes

https://londonist.com/london/secret/see-the-spot-where-sherlock-holmes-first-met-dr-watson

"You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive."

Those were the 'deathless words', spoken by Sherlock Holmes to Dr Watson upon their first encounter on 1 January 1881. That historic introduction, here in the hospital, is recorded in the pages of A Study in Scarlet (1887) by Arthur Conan Doyle, the first story to feature the famous duo.

During the scene, Holmes is using the hospital laboratory for experiments with blood stains when Watson is shown in by a mutual acquaintance called Stamford. Both Holmes and Watson are looking for accommodation. They agree to take rooms in Baker Street and the rest is (fictional) history.

This is the sole occasion in which the hospital is mentioned in the original stories, but Bart's plays a much greater role in the BBC's Sherlock series. It is once again the place where Holmes and Watson first meet, but then reappears in most subsequent instalments.

filmfan95

Member: Rank 3
Hollywood confuses me sometimes.....

So he met Watson twice?!? :emoji_confused:
It's a "what-if" story. The disclaimer at the end of the film states that the people who wrote the movie tried to stay faithful to the spirit and characterization of the original stories, with the major difference being when Holmes and Watson first met. Basically, it's a story that very plausibly could have happened in canon, but didn't.

"Although Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did not write about the very youthful years of Sherlock Holmes and did establish the initial meeting between Holmes and Dr. Watson as adults, this affectionate speculation about what might have happened has been made with respectful admiration and in tribute to the author and his enduring works."

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I saw this one a couple of times when it first hit home video, and I remember enjoying it. It did irk me that they had messed with their first meeting in such a way, but the tone of the movie is in line with the original stories. And it's a far cry better than Elementary.