Fun Your Favourite Books & Authors!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
That is interesting. I may have not been fair on it. Your reply prompted me to go and download a sample of the beginning of the book on kindle, to see if I misjudged it.... Only to find that TIME FOR YESTERDAY is not on kindle, but YESTERDAY'S SON is. Go figure! :emoji_alien:

If I see it around I might well give it a second attempt.

1697363.jpg

I did love the novelisation of STAR TREK:THE MOTION PICTURE, which seemed to suggest to me Roddenberry was a much better writer of prose than he was of teleplays, but rumours have swirled for years that the very dependable Alan Dean Foster ghost wrote it, which would do nothing to demolish Harlan Ellison's claim that Gene "couldn't write for sour owl poop!"

On which note, I loved Harlan's huge essay at the start of his original script book of City, laying brutally into the Great Bird - and also Joel Engel's biography of Roddenberry. These two books and Grace Lee Whitney's biography delve into some harsher realities - and Gene does not come off too well in any of them.

41bzCzyNMCL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 375022.jpg download.jpg

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
That is interesting. I may have not been fair on it. Your reply prompted me to go and download a sample of the beginning of the book on kindle, to see if I misjudged it....
They are quite different stories. As far as I recall, the majority of Yesterday's Son is built around a standard Star Trek concept with the Enterprise and Romulans, while Time for Yesterday is largely Kirk, Spock and McCoy travelling back in time to a medieval style world.

Doctor Omega

king-stephen-danse-macabre-fl15098.jpg

As a kid, I didn't know some of the tv shows and movies that King was referencing in this overview he wrote of he entire horror genre, but they became a source of intrigue for me...

What was this DARK SHADOWS he was talking about?

And, for the first time, I became aware that there was an entire KOLCHAK series.

Etc. etc.

filmfan95

Member: Rank 3
I managed to obtain a copy of the novelization of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man recently. I'm going to read it and see how it compares to the movie. A problem with a lot of these novelizations is that the screenplay was never intended to be literature, but a visual medium.

Doctor Omega

I sometimes miss the old days, where the only way of reliving the movie or tv show was the novelisation.

Strangely, I have recently read that the novelisation of the 1986 film, HOWARD THE DUCK, is now considered a bit of a classic, with the writing style being compared to Douglas Adams!