Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • I'm on the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I read somewhere that Gene Roddenberry was taken up in a spacecraft and told to produce Star Trek to get the people used to the idea of extraterrestrial life.
If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say it was probably a spacecraft full of Ferengi businessmen who did it.

They know a good investment when they see one.

It's probably all covered by one of their Rules of Acquisition.

elanor

Member: Rank 3
Actually, I prefer this film because it is closer in spirit to Arthur C. Clarke's writing.
Hmm, I dislike ACC's writing. In comparison to Kubrick's film the 2001 story by ACC is rather mundane. I was very disappointed by ACC's book, when I found just a normal SciFi story where I wanted to read about philosophical problems of humanity in the ongoing evolution. For me the book 2010 again was even worse than the film. I further tried Rendezvous with Rama, which again didn't work for me. So, ACC is just not my kind of SciFi writer.

All what I like about the film 2001 is added by Kubrick.

2010 is for me just one of many scifi films, nothing special. There exist a lot scifi movies I prefer to 2010, while 2001 is just my absolute favourite SciFi film.

Heeeeey

Member: Rank 2
Normally the TV series.

There were no hand-held mobile phones in 1966.

And we still haven't got phasers, transporters or warp drive.

Although I hear they're currently under development.
Maybe I watch too much YouTube, but some say the government has had that technology since the 40s. They just kept it under wraps. I've also heard that the government does have anti-gravity spaceships.

alpha128

Member: Rank 3
ACC is just not my kind of SciFi writer.
I think the last two ACC books I read were "Rama II" and "Imperial Earth". I read "Imperial Earth" for the first time decades after publication, and it was interesting to see what ACC got right and got wrong. He got wrong what happened to the Titanic - in the book it was recovered intact from the ocean floor and was placed on land as a perfectly perserved tourist attraction. He got right his description of a device called a comsole, short for communciations console, which a character from Titan uses to locate an old friend on Earth. ACC's description of how the comsole worked reads very much like the description of the search engines we use everyday.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I've always preferred the books over the movies. 2001 is great but I prefer the book. 2010 isn't up to the same standards in either the book or movie versions (although both are good) but I still prefer the book. The movie was a little preachy with its war message which was far more subtle in the book.

Gavin

VIP
An absolute masterpiece. It simply cannot be overstated how good this film is.

This is the science fiction film by which all other science fiction films - and perhaps films in general - are measured. And very few measure up to it in full.

By the way, I happen to be a bit of a fan of this film
I'd never have guessed :emoji_alien:

ant-mac

The way 3D printing is going we're getting closer to having replicators.
Well, roughly speaking, 3D printers are early replicators, mobile phones are early communicators, Tasers are an early version of personal phasers, VR is an early version of the holodeck...

And we have someone that seems to be a cross between a Ferengi and a Klingon in the White House.

ant-mac

I've always preferred the books over the movies. 2001 is great but I prefer the book. 2010 isn't up to the same standards in either the book or movie versions (although both are good) but I still prefer the book. The movie was a little preachy with its war message which was far more subtle in the book.
The film also entirely skipped the Chinese portion of the story, which I personally found quite absorbing and tragic.

Have you read 2061 and 3001?

Gavin

VIP
The film also entirely skipped the Chinese portion of the story, which I personally found quite absorbing and tragic.

Have you read 2061 and 3001?
Good point I'd forgotten that.

I read 2061 and wasn't hugely excited by it. Never bothered with 3001. Is it worth the effort?

ant-mac

Good point I'd forgotten that.

I read 2061 and wasn't hugely excited by it. Never bothered with 3001. Is it worth the effort?
Well, I've read the entire series through at least twice, so I'd say it's worth it, but I'm biased. However, I've read the RAMA series through at least four times - and look forward to it again one of these days. I'm just a big ACC fan...

You've got nothing to lose by trying it. :emoji_alien: