Review Awful Remakes?

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
My fav would be the remake of Fright Night. Written and I believe directed by Marti Noxon (an old writing buddy of Joss Whedon) it starred Anton Yeltchin, Imogene Poots, David Tennant (in a great turn as a wild-ass magician), Colin Farrel as the vampire and with a cameo by Chris Sarandon as a motorist who runs "afoul" of the vampire he played in the camp original... which is great fun but not, in my mind, as fab as the remake which I still keep watching and watching and watching!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: And for great remakes we're "not supposed" to love: :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Rob Zombie's Halloween
I know I'm in the minority, but I really did not care for what Zombie did with that movie. The whole first act, in my opinion, just drags the film down. I had no interest in Michael's backstory. And changing his family from what appeared to be a middle class family to a white trash abusive household just ruined it for me. It seemed more of an interesting twist that a kid from a "normal" background would end up a psychopathic killer.

But then, of the slasher remakes, the only one I really liked was Friday the 13th.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I know I'm in the minority, but I really did not care for what Zombie did with that movie. The whole first act, in my opinion, just drags the film down. I had no interest in Michael's backstory. And changing his family from what appeared to be a middle class family to a white trash abusive household just ruined it for me. It seemed more of an interesting twist that a kid from a "normal" background would end up a psychopathic killer.

But then, of the slasher remakes, the only one I really liked was Friday the 13th.
You are defiantly not in the minority. Most people hate this film.

Speaking of horror remakes, Maniac is a wonderful remake. The first person perspective really works in this.

MovieKnut

Member: Rank 2
I had no interest in Michael's backstory. And changing his family from what appeared to be a middle class family to a white trash abusive household just ruined it for me.

The beauty of the original is that we have no connection to Myers other than as a killer. He is an unknown quantity, savage. Capable of anything. The remake demystifies Myers, this removes much of the tension and uncertainty. Adding the abusive, trailer trash family back ground adds a quality that suggests Myer's path was all but inevitable.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
King Kong 1976

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/king-kong-1976.1095/

MPW-41424.jpg

I just love it. And I can't explain why.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is my favourite film of all time, just nudging Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Beneath the Planet of the Apes and the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers out of the way.

I think that the script is more fun, it introduced the notion of a relationship between Kong and "Dwan" and the music score by John Barry is sweeping, romantic, majestic and beautiful.

Andy Williams even released a version of the love theme from the movie, called "Are You in There?"

I love the 1933 original, but was cold on the i.m.o. overlong Peter Jackson version.

But the one I am most likely to watch is the 1976 version.

And I still don't know why!

Nostalgia perhaps. Blinding me to it's faults.

Last edited:

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I had no interest in Michael's backstory. And changing his family from what appeared to be a middle class family to a white trash abusive household just ruined it for me.

The beauty of the original is that we have no connection to Myers other than as a killer. He is an unknown quantity, savage. Capable of anything. The remake demystifies Myers, this removes much of the tension and uncertainty. Adding the abusive, trailer trash family back ground adds a quality that suggests Myer's path was all but inevitable.
For me its the reason why I like the remake so much(the original is still my favourite though). Probably because Halloween, as a franchise, was really going down the supernatural path, so seeing a more grim and reality based version was, for me, a breath of fresh air.
I also have to mention that the best version of the remake is the work-print. Its a shame the studio wanted more horror cliches added, like jump scares. The worst version is the american theatrical release.

Doctor Omega

My fav would be the remake of Fright Night. Written and I believe directed by Marti Noxon (an old writing buddy of Joss Whedon) it starred Anton Yeltchin, Imogene Poots, David Tennant (in a great turn as a wild-ass magician), Colin Farrel as the vampire and with a cameo by Chris Sarandon as a motorist who runs "afoul" of the vampire he played in the camp original... which is great fun but not, in my mind, as fab as the remake which I still keep watching and watching and watching!

Doctor Omega

I prefer the newer version of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" over the older one.

Tragically they have now gone and made a pretty much shot for shot animated remake of the 1971 version - but gone and stuck Tom and Jerry into the thing, somehow.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I actually thought that the 2014 updated version of Annie was pretty good. I grew up on the 1999 version, and later saw the 1982 version, which I also enjoyed, and I was sceptical when I saw the trailer for the 2014 version, because Annie is my favorite musical. But then I saw the movie, and I actually really enjoyed it.