Review Batwoman (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
afgsga.jpg

Your thoughts on this show.....

In the series, Kate Kane, armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city's criminal resurgence. But don't call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope

Doctor Omega

“Batwoman” Ordered To Pilot By The CW

batwoman-ordered-to-pilot-by-the-cw-696x464.jpg

Surprising in that it hasn’t happened already, The CW has given a pilot order for a new Batwoman series starring “Orange Is the New Black” alum Ruby Rose.

The latest iteration of Batwoman, aka Kate Kane, is described as an out lesbian and highly trained fighter who has no trouble speaking her mind. She’s pressed into service as a crime-fighter as mayhem overruns Gotham, although Kane has to ‘overcome her own demons’ before she can save the city.

Rose made her debut as the character in last month’s DC Crossover episodes. “Vampire Diaries” alum Caroline Dries penned the story for those episodes and will write the pilot, while David Nutter will helm it and Greg Berlanti will executive produce.

Doctor Omega

“Batwoman” Series Sets Three Key Roles

The upcoming Ruby Rose-led “Batwoman” pilot for The CW, based on the DC Comics title, has begun casting some of its key supporting roles reports Deadline.

Rose plays Kate Kane who soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city’s criminal resurgence. She must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope.

Joining her will be Meagan Tandy (“Teen Wolf”) who will play high-level private security agent Sophie Moore; Camrus Johnson (“Luke Cage”) as Luke Fox, son of Wayne Industries’ R&D director Lucius Fox and essentially protector and maintenance guy for all of Batman’s leftover tech; and Nicole Kang (“You”) as Mary Hamilton, Kate’s compassionate if talkative step-sister.

The pilot hails from Greg Berlanti’s Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television and follows on from Rose’s debut in the role during last year’s CW-DC crossover event. Caroline Dries penned the pilot and David Nutter helms.

Should it go to series, “Batwoman” would mark the first gay lead character, male or female, of a live-action superhero series.

Doctor Omega

Don’t Expect Batman On “Batwoman”

The CW’s “Batwoman” seems one of the most likely shows to go to series for this Fall, and it appears like it will treat Batman the same way “Titans” does – name drop a lot and tease a bit but never truly show.

Sarah Schechter, an executive producer for the series, spoke with The Wrap recently and the article indicates that Batman himself “remains off-limits for the foreseeable future”.

The character will be name-checked as his abandonment of Gotham City three years prior to events starting is a big element of the show. Schechter says:

“It’s a post-Batman Gotham… Batman is missing. What does that do when your heroes are gone and who steps into that void? What’s great about the restriction of just focusing on Batwoman is that we have to build a world for our character. It’s a character that people don’t really know… The Gotham we talk about [in “Batwoman”] kind of reminds me of Johannesburg during apartheid. There’s a real difference between those that have and those that don’t.”

Schecter also says that should it go to series, she hopes it will be a part of the next crossover event based on the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” storyline which is due to air in the Fall.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Batwoman's Ruby Rose will sadly NOT be at Comic-Con this weekend

Along with the show runners of GAME OF THRONES and cast and crew from DOCTOR WHO.

Basically, everyone not wishing to face a fan backlash for what they've done to beloved fictional characters and franchises are diving for cover.

Perhaps they've finally woke up to the reality of their situation... :emoji_smirk:

Doctor Omega

I do wonder if Jodie will do a Chris Eccleston and turn her back on WHO once her tenure ends. i.e.: no convention appearances, ever?

Coz I think there will always be the risk of some drunken soul blurting out: "You ruined Doctor Who!" - or something like that - at her.

Not nice, but I think this is a valid concern, given the definite - and very real - division in the fan bases of shows and films that have been affected by this trend.

"I love you guys and will make it up to you" says Batwoman - but I think the show will be cancelled and already forgotten before she has a chance to! :emoji_grin:

It's odd how these rebrandings of shows and characters have to include such a provocative anti-male element. From Jodie's glass ceiling teaser to the cringeworthy moments in both the above BATWOMAN trailers, such as the batsuit being perfect "when it fits a woman".

It's uncalled for - and frankly is reverse sexism. Surely mutual respect between the sexes is what is called for and where we should be heading?

Not the vilifying of one sex by the other?

Last edited:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I do wonder if Jodie will do a Chris Eccleston and turn her back on WHO once her tenure ends. i.e.: no convention appearances, ever?

Coz I think there will always be the risk of some drunken soul blurting out: "You ruined Doctor Who!" - or something like that - at her.

Not nice, but I think this is a valid concern, given the definite - and very real - division in the fan bases of shows and films that have been affected by this trend.

"I love you guys and will make it up to you" says Batwoman - but I think the show will be cancelled and already forgotten before she has a chance to! :emoji_grin:

It's odd how these rebrandings of shows and characters have to include such a provocative anti-male element. From Jodie's glass ceiling teaser to the cringeworthy moments in both the above BATWOMAN trailers, such as the batsuit being perfect "when it fits a woman".

It's uncalled for - and frankly is reverse sexism. Surely mutual respect between the sexes is what is called for and where we should be heading?

Not the vilifying of one sex by the other?
Reverse racism and reverse sexism is just racism and sexism.

However, if you want a profitable and successful franchise, try to avoid insulting and pissing off half of your potential fan base.

Although as most of these franchises appear to have traditionally been comprised of more males than females, it probably works out to more than half.

Doctor Omega

Batwoman

Sam Littlefield (“Mother’s Little Helpers”) has scored a recurring role as Mouse in The CW’s upcoming “Batwoman” series. Littlefield’s character is dubbed a ‘dynamic figure’ working for Alice and the Wonderland Gang. Rachel Skarsten plays the villain Alice, a mentally unstable threat to city and a mysterious figure with a complicated past. “Batwoman” premieres October 6th.

Doctor Omega

Another day.....

Another Batwoman teaser to mock.......

(Already 4000 dislikes, to 1,600 likes)

Meanwhile, the show's star, Ruby Rose, is interviewed in the New York Times - and adresses the criticisms........

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/03/arts/television/ruby-rose-batwoman.html

How do you navigate playing a character comics fans are already so invested in?
I get it and I appreciate it. It comes from a place of passion, and these comics meant so much to these people growing up. They have their own idea of what that would look like if it was live-action, who they would like to play that character, what they would like the story to focus on. “Handmaid’s Tale,” amazing book. “Big Little Lies,” great book. Until the show is airing and people are watching it, people are kind of like, “I don’t think that person should play that” or “I didn’t imagine that kind of role was played by this kind of person.” And then they watch it and those shows are brilliant.
You left Twitter shortly after there was some fan backlash to your casting. Were the two related?
I was finding it really depressing way before the “Batwoman” thing, so I was happy to get rid of it. When the “Batwoman” stuff happened I was like, “Well, now’s a good enough time.

You adapt a book, a comic, you reboot a series, anything like that, people are kind of fixed on how they receive the information and the content and the stories. I auditioned a lot for the role. I think I’m doing a good job. I love the pilot, I love what I do. I can’t please everybody and some people will love it, some people will like it, some people will have thought I wouldn’t be good and might be impressed. Some people might be like “I still hate her!” And that’s fine. That’s life. I’m not going to be on my deathbed one day like, “I wish strangers on the internet that I never met liked me more.” I’m going to be thinking, “This is so awesome I got to play Batwoman for the first time, and no one else had played her.” That’s my legacy and I’m going to own that.
Will you return to Twitter to promote “Batwoman”?
It’s just narcissistic and weird. I don’t feel comfortable and I don’t think we’re going to get the response we want. I can’t.

CW wanted to find an openly queer actress to play this role. How did your identity inform the show and the character?
I have a controversial perspective on that kind of thing. What Cate Blanchett said was amazing. She was sort of like, “I will live and die to be able to play the characters that I want to play.” In regards to when she was in “Carol,” when she played Bob Dylan [in “I’m Not There”] — she’s an actor and she thinks actors should be actors, and I don’t think they always need to be gay to play gay. I also don’t always want to play gay because I’m gay. Like “L Word” — there were plenty of people that were gay. Some were straight, some were gay and hadn’t come out yet, but it still changed my life. It still had an impact on me and the stories were told beautifully, and they were done in a way that felt real and authentic.
[The “Batwoman” executive producer] Caroline [Dries] is gay as well, and she was like, “Now that I’ve actually seen you in the pilot, I don’t know if we would have found the right person if it wasn’t for you.” Because we delved away from a love story of me, being gay and having an ex-girlfriend and what that looked like, to kind of doing the military stuff and facing other challenges like the family dynamic. I guess I pulled a lot from personal experience and other people’s stories and friends in the community; in this situation, it probably did make sense. It’s one of those things you don’t know until you’re in it.

How do you differentiate Kate Kane from Batwoman?
Batwoman is kind of like Batman. She’s sort of no-nonsense, very stern. She’s cheeky but she doesn’t speak a ton, and when she does, she kind of does a lower voice, hiding her identity. When I do fight sequences and stunts as Batwoman, I do the Alexander Technique, where we study the bat and study the movement. Even the head movements are kind of batlike, so it feels like two different people.
How did you find your way into Kate?
Kate has been through a lot. She’s broody because she’s lost everything. Her sister died, her mum died, her dad doesn’t want her. She’s kicked out of the military and her girlfriend lied to stay in the military. She’s trying to deal with so much trauma that there’s not a lot of room for happiness. She’s got a purpose with Batwoman, and so she’s getting lighter, but those first few episodes, I was going home at night and having to have a bath and fully cleanse. Because when you’re that upset, you’re taking on all of those traumas. They’re not yours, but you start to really feel them.
I think that she carries all this heaviness like Bruce Wayne, in the Batman world. She puts a lot of pressure on herself. She doesn’t act like a victim in any way, but she’s always trying to push through and she’s always strong. I’ll stop for a minute if something is traumatic. Or if I’m going to deal with something, I’ll go to a therapist; I’ll see my friends. I’ve overcome things and I feel great. She doesn’t do any of that stuff, so she’s kind of just figuring it out. She’s more lost than I am. At my age, I feel like I’m pretty together. Kate, I feel like, is on a journey to self-discovery.

_103792693_batwoman2.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I thought it was gonna be a major flop - and deserves to be, but........

http://www.darkhorizons.com/batwoman-nancy-drew-get-full-seasons/

Both Batwoman and Nancy Drew have done well with delayed viewing, seeing major increases in overall audience once viewership from DVR and streaming comes in – “Batwoman” and “Nancy Drew” posting 80% and 114% lifts respectively in 18-49 Live+7 numbers.

Despite both slipping since the premieres, “Batwoman” remains The CW’s second highest-rated series behind only “The Flash”. Both shows also are the first CW series to come after the end of the Netflix output deal, giving The CW full in-season streaming rights.

Doctor Omega

The lead actress has exited the show...... :emoji_poop:

Ruby Rose Quits Batwoman After One Season! WOW! First Reactions!

In a shock announcement, Ruby Rose has departed the lead role on “Batwoman” on The CW after a single season. Warner Bros. Television has announced that the role will be recast when the show returns in 2021.

The news arrives two days after the show’s season finale and leaves the show without a lead for now. The series was renewed for a second season in January and was set to anchor the network’s Sunday night starting in early 2021.

No reason has been given for Rose’s departure. A change of lead actor or actress in a series after one season is rare though usually can either be written around (eg. “Doctor Who,” “Babylon 5”) or change due to extraordinary circumstances (eg. “Spartacus”)

Rose faced immediate backlash on social media after she was cast and would eventually quit Twitter, although she remains active on Instagram. She also underwent emergency surgery early in the show’s run after herniating two discs doing stunts and nearly severing her spinal chord.

Rose says in a statement: “I have made the very difficult decision to not return to Batwoman next season. This was not a decision I made lightly as I have the utmost respect for the cast, crew and everyone involved with the show in both Vancouver and in Los Angeles. I am beyond appreciative to Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and Caroline Dries for not only giving me this incredible opportunity, but for welcoming me into the DC universe they have so beautifully created. Thank you Peter Roth and Mark Pedowitz and the teams at Warner Bros. and The CW who put so much into the show and always believed in me. Thank you to everyone who made season one a success — I am truly grateful.”

The CW, Warner Bros. TV and Berlanti Productions said jointly: “Warner Bros. Television, The CW and Berlanti Productions thank Ruby for her contributions to the success of our first season and wish her all the best. The studio and network are firmly committed to Batwoman’s second season and long-term future, and we — along with the show’s talented creative team — look forward to sharing its new direction, including the casting of a new lead actress and member of the LGBTQ community, in the coming months.”

Rose starred on the series as Kate Kane, a cousin of Bruce Wayne’s who takes on the mantle of Batwoman.

Source: The Live Feed

Doctor Omega

“Thank you everyone for coming on this journey. If I mentioned everyone it would be 1000 tags but thank you to the cast, crew, producers and studio. It wasn’t an easy decision but those who know, know…
I didn’t want to not acknowledge everyone involved and how big this was for TV and for our community. I have stayed silent because that’s my choice for now but know I adore you all. I’m sure next season will be amazing also. Xxx *hangs up cowl and cape.”

Doctor Omega

Appearing at the ATX Television Festival this week, showrunner Caroline Dries explained the choice to change up the leading character rather than simply recast:
“I did consider the soap opera version for a hot minute, selfishly, because we had a couple episodes already written, and transition-wise, it would be seamless [since] we already started breaking season 2.
But upon further reflection, and [executive producer] Greg [Berlanti] helped me make this call – and he’s way smarter than me about this sort of stuff – he’s like, ‘You know, I think we should just reboot the character in terms of reboot Batwoman as a different character.’ Just to also respect everything that Ruby [Rose] put into the Kate Kane character.
I just think it helps the audience a little bit, too, that we’re not asking them to not address the elephant in the room. I’m inventing a whole new character. In her past, she was inspired by Batwoman. She is going to take on the mantle and is completely maybe not be the right person at the time to be doing it. That’s what makes it fun.”

Doctor Omega

“Riverdale” star Vanessa Morgan is reportedly being eyed to replace Ruby Rose as the lead in The CW’s “Batwoman”.
The Cinema Spot reported on the potential casting, suggesting Morgan will play the role of the new character Ryan Wilder. Morgan is currently the only black lead on “Riverdale” and recently called out the series for sidelining black characters.